Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

I use it on my P&S where there is the DOF to allow for the inherent problems it might create. My Fuji XF-1 has a nice system where it is the focus point you choose unless there is a face when it overrides. Means you don't get hunting where the face isn't clear or too near/far. Now if only the camera had any kind of shutter override in auto iso so I'm not trying to take pictures at a 1/10.

Sep 05, 2014 at 04:29 AM
deoredx

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

I've played with it on and off with my E-M5 and E-P5. It will work great for several shots then I come to a shot where because of circumstances it will just totally fail (too crowded can't get it to lock onto the face I wanted). Because I missed a shot turn it off for a while until I get the bright idea to turn it on again. Rinse and repeat.

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:47 AM
whumber
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

I usually have at least one custom mode setup with face detection af on my dslrs in case I want to somebody take a picture of my wife and I while we're out. Just flip the dial to C1, put the camera in live view, and then it's pretty tough for them to screw up.

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:51 AM
Bluffer
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

Yup on the A7r. It'll even recognise faces and follow them round the TV screen.

Witchcraft I tell you. Black magic!

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:51 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

Face detection is another thing.

Havent used eye-detect though, never found it in the menus until now (Sony A7).

So, do you really have to press and hold a button - and then press shutter?

Sep 05, 2014 at 08:00 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

wfrank wrote:
So, do you really have to press and hold a button - and then press shutter?

Yes.

Sep 05, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

Here's a few things I've picked up using Face Detect/Eye Detect to shoot my moving two year old.

First, as I mentioned above, Eye Detect only works in AF-S, not AF-C. So I've assigned the C1 button for Focus Mode so I can quickly switch between them (and MF).

Face Detect only works when the faces are fairly large in the frame, facing the camera and not obscured by sunglasses, hats, etc.

I have one of the AF/MF button settings set to Eye Detect, which is fairly easy to hold while you push the shutter button at the same time.

I have the Center button set to Standard. When using Face Detect with AF area set to Wide and while in AF-C Mode, if the Center button is set to Standard, then pressing and holding the center button on the control wheel engages Center AF and the camera will focus on whatever is in the center and hold focus until you release the button. So, when Face Detect isn't doing what I want, I just use the center button of the control wheel to force the camera to focus on whatever I've placed in the center of viewfinder.

AF is tricky and complicated on these cameras, but with the proper settings and practice, you can accomplish a lot. And if my subject is not moving, I always use MF.

Sep 05, 2014 at 11:36 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · does anbody use facedetection AF mode?

Jeff Kott wrote:
Yes.

Thank you!

Sep 05, 2014 at 11:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.