New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Chicago fireworks pano

FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chicago fireworks pano

What do you think? How does this work as a pano?
4 image stitch - X-E1 and 23mm

Looking at it again, I think I need a little rotation on the left two images to get the buildings straight up and down.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chicago fireworks pano

Diggin' the concept ... liking the movement and the imbalanced scale that gives a tug/pull back/forth. Maybe a slight trim off one/both ends, maybe. Might be a bit blown (i.e. little color @ fireworks) or overexposed. but still diggin' it (i.e. recovery efforts worthwhile).

Do you have any others? It would seem like you could possibly combine the skyline (static) with various fireworks captures (dynamic) for additional creativity in a "mix & match" kind of thing.

FarmerJohn wrote:
Looking at it again, I think I need a little rotation on the left two images to get the buildings straight up and down.
I think we may have just found the new King of the Micro-Nit.

Looks to me like the interior buildings are leaning a touch right, while the left buildings seem pretty straight. Might be an application for some distortion correction rather than rotation. Also, could depend on whether you are trying to correct individual image, then piece together or piece together, then correct as a whole. But ... I had to look pretty darn hard to see what you were talking about.

Hard to judge detail at this size, but it looks like some possible color issues in the sky @ left (or is that residual fireworks smoke).

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chicago fireworks pano

Dual messages here, a sky line and off to the side a bit of fireworks. The fireworks at this scale are insignificant, I would cop next to the right most tall building. I agree on fixing building tilt. I like the part I would leave in.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:10 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chicago fireworks pano

Ben, Kent - thanks for the comments.

Ben - I agree it could work as just a skyline pano as well. Chicago skyline is pretty nice. I want to keep the fireworks for this one.

Kent - yeah, I see color issues now too. Looks a bit splotchy. Doubt it's fireworks smoke, but I'll check at home. Wonder if it's google's jpg compression or something.

I do have other fireworks images. The first few struggled with camera shake, and the focus was inconsistent on some. But, I do have some where I could add in a few more fireworks to get some more color interest over there.

I wonder at the distance (mile plus) if I should have had a slight shorter exposure time to get appropriate fireworks detail, rather than getting them blown out a bit.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chicago fireworks pano

Darker would work better and probably help reduce the color noise and unevenness of the sky.

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.