FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Critique - Tony Hart Photo

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critique - Tony Hart Photo

Useful format this. Nice work Mike! I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment and so would love a fresh set of eyes.

1. PHOTOGRAPHER - Start a new thread and title it "critique - your username". Post a link to your blog or current work. If you don't have one, then just post a link to your website.

2. FORUM MEMBERS - Spend about 5 minutes looking through the photographers current work. Comment on how the photographer can improve and/or try new things. Keep the comments constructive and brief.

3. PHOTOGRAPHER - Take that feedback and implement some of it when you shoot your next wedding.

4. PHOTOGRAPHER - Change the title to "COMPLETED - your username". Post images from your most recent wedding, and explain what you did differently.

5. FORUM MEMBERS - Comment on how well the photographer implemented the critique that was given. Again, keep it constructive.

I can be found at http://www.tony-hart.com

P.S. I've just moved to a new host. That seems to be going well, but it's very new so please let me know if you encounter any teething problems (old website, new host!). Cheers guys!

Aug 27, 2014 at 03:55 AM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critique - Tony Hart Photo

Hey Tony,

I really like your site and the feeling I had when I first went to it. The first image, the dance, gave me a sense of the romance that I would expect. I've seen your work for years and without fail it represents a consistency and timelessness.

I don't know that I can critique such a clear brand and style when saying something like "add some dramatic lighting, backlit rain shots and shutter drags" when it absolutely wouldn't suit you.

The only thing I thought of was that there were so many detail shots and without people in them I didn't really feel the necessity of them.

Yeah, consistency is good but when the photos are beautiful they'll last forever.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:43 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critique - Tony Hart Photo

The first thing that I noticed when looking at your portfolio is a very timeless portfolio. Very simple, elegant, pretty damn good.

The one thing I didn't like was that some of the shots didn't seem all that special to me. For instance

# 7 - That to me looks like anyone could have taken that photo, slapped a cool black and white preset on it and said look, "I am a documentary photographer." He's a good lookin' cat, but there just isn't much special to me on the photo.

# 14 - Similar thought. It would have been way better if the little girl was sharp. Good moment, good thought, good attempt, I just wish she was in focus, it definitely diminishes the quality of the photo and again dimishes your talents as a photographer.

Your blog took forever to load by the way. If I was a bride I might have clicked away by now. They also seem very long. While I love the reportage nature of your posts, they just sorta drag on a bit. There were like 80 something photos from 1 wedding (I think it was 1 wedding), I just sorta got bored, but every now and then an image came through that blew me away. Cull them down a bit and I think they will be much stronger posts.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM
robots4joey

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Critique - Tony Hart Photo

I agree with the other posts before me, I'll just add one more note- you have a lot of black and white images, does your style include about 50-50 black and whites delivered to the B&G? If so I think that's fine, but there were a lot so it seemed like it was your style.

Aug 27, 2014 at 02:58 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Critique - Tony Hart Photo

Hi all. Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. It's an interesting exercise.

Shane - Fair point about the detail shots. I'll be refreshing my portfolio this winter and I'll deffo cut down on the number of details I'm including. It's certainly something I shoot, but not something I obsess about so worth reducing.

Danny - I hear your point on #7 and #14. I think, to an extent, those images are there to evoke emotional reactions from my clients. #7 and #13 are basically attempting to use hot men to grab the potential clients interest (I won't deny it!) while #14 is a bit of an 'aww' moment that I think may also be effective in grabbing a potential bride's attention. #13 is in one of my sample albums and I'd say it gets comments, "phwoar" etc etc, about 75% of the time! Agreed though, possibly worth taking those spaces and filling them with 'better' content.

Very fair point about the blog as well. I really need to work on the two elements you mention. I'm working to try and optimise the blog at present - it's certainly something I'm aware of.

Joe - Interesting comment about the black and white. I do indeed deliver a lot of black and white and certainly 'talk it up' during consults so I'd say it's fairly reflective. It's certainly intentional, I'm hoping to attract clients who appreciate the black and white aesthetic.

Cheers all!

Aug 29, 2014 at 06:27 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.