Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

pepperman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

So I purchased online a Canon 600EX-Rt Flash from Abes of Maine and I shortly after that received a call from a Sales Rep who wanted to inform me that I had purchased an Asian model and that there would be NO warranty card and no warranty on this flash! He pushed for me to buy a USA model and finally said it's only $40 difference so I caved in and said fine! When I received it today there was NO warranty card so I called Canon up to ask how to tell the difference? I was told that on flashes that there is NO WAY TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE and as long as I had a receipt from a reputable dealer that Canon would warranty it! So I feel like I was SCAMMED out of the extra money by the salesman at Abes of Maine who I am sure knew this in the first place and just shipped me the same Asian model!
What do you think?
What would you do?
It sure feels like a Scam to me! I don't usually deal with them but the price was good!

Thanks in Advance,
Stuart

Edited on Aug 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

its shady practices and you were upsold. unless initially on their site, it said its gray market when you ordered it, they screwed you.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Have you thought of calling Abes? I always use a credit card from my CU. I have leverage with them. I find direct approach works best. Next up would pressure from my card company and a request to return goods.

I find that it's helpful to use an approach like I would like to have a client do with me. Not says not to ask if you don't know what to do. I find that manufactures, vendors and supplier to be helpful if I can get the correct story across. Good luck and hope the 600 works for you. J. R.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

I had one transaction with them, and it was not good (they packed it poorly and sent it two weeks late). What can you expect from a firm which even misleads with it's name (they are not in Maine). I'd return the flash and buy it elsewhere.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

I don't know about the 600EX but I recently bought a 430EX II and it came with a USA Warranty card. But, yeah, sorry to hear they got you. I got the hose from Abe's many years back and had to ask my charge card company to reverse the charges. I thought it was over but, amazingly, Abe's would recharge my card again every month or two and I had to contest the charge on multiple occasions. They were finally completely blocked but sheesh...

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:47 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

I would have cancelled the order as soon as the store salesman tells me they're selling such product with no warranty. It tells me their product source was not legitimate.

Let's think about it - what honest retailer would sell a "new," major brand name electronic product "without" warranty? It's used, or hot, if comes with no warranty.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

kevindar wrote:
its shady practices and you were upsold. unless initially on their site, it said its gray market when you ordered it, they screwed you.

It did not say anything but when the guy called me I went back and looked and there was another one that specifically said USA model but after it came without a warranty card and then when Canon told me what they did I really felt that this was a SCAM not an Up Sell!

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:09 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

This post tells it all.
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2014/05/warning-avoid-abes-of-maine-
and-other-bait-switch-retailers/

CPW pulls no punches with scammers or bait and switch outfits.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:10 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

JR Photo wrote:
Have you thought of calling Abes? I always use a credit card from my CU. I have leverage with them. I find direct approach works best. Next up would pressure from my card company and a request to return goods.

I find that it's helpful to use an approach like I would like to have a client do with me. Not says not to ask if you don't know what to do. I find that manufactures, vendors and supplier to be helpful if I can get the correct story across. Good luck and hope the 600 works for you. J.
...Show more

I plan on calling them tomorrow and if I don't get any satisfaction I will then call my credit card company and I am sure that there will not be a problem, I will just tell them that I did not receive what I was told that I was purchasing and they will immediately remove it from my card. AMEX is the best when it comes to that!

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

In your call make sure you tell Abe's in no uncertain terms that you will do so.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Abe_s_of_Maine

Abe's rating is actually higher than B&H Photo, which I have considered that standard bearer for on line photo gear.

Adorama has a 9 plus rating on the able site, fwiw.

In your case, the sales person delivered misinformation; not good. Let us know the outcome. Wish you the best.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:39 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

pepperman wrote:
I plan on calling them tomorrow and if I don't get any satisfaction I will then call my credit card company and I am sure that there will not be a problem, I will just tell them that I did not receive what I was told that I was purchasing and they will immediately remove it from my card. AMEX is the best when it comes to that!

This is what I would do as well. Once your credit card has returned the funds to you, I would recommend returning the flash to abes of maine as well.

In general, I only trust a company in as much as what is written on the page of the item that I am buying. If it isn't written there, then I assume I wont be getting it. Verbal agreements from shady companies in the NE united states are incredibly sketchy.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Tom Dix wrote:

Abe's rating is actually higher than B&H Photo, which I have considered that standard bearer for on line photo gear

The website link mentioned earlier explains the problem with the "new" Abe's of Maine pretty clearly. I wouldn't have known this.

There is also a warning about online ratings.

"Sites like ResellerRatings can’t be trusted fully anymore. For example, Abe’s has a rating of 8.50 where as B&H has a rating of 8.30. Non-verified reviews are too easily gamed and a company’s reputation can quickly change."

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Tom Dix wrote:

Abe's rating is actually higher than B&H Photo, which I have considered that standard bearer for on line photo gear.

In your case, the sales person delivered misinformation; not good. Let us know the outcome. Wish you the best.

Worse than that you have no Canon warranty when buying from them. I can tell you first hand Canon has cracked down on providing warranty work on any purchase from a non-authorised Canon dealer.

"The new Abe’s of Maine (corporate name now “Westpark Electronics, LLC.”) has been nothing but bad news: first, they are no longer a Canon authorized dealer....................."

Aug 27, 2014 at 05:22 AM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Any time a "salesman" calls you from an online retailer it is a warning flag, unless you omitted some important info on the original order. I would cancel the transaction with the CC Co and then make them (Abe's) wait as long as possible before returning the flash. Abe's was "shady" even before it became "new" and as far as I know they were never in Maine. Good luck in resolving this.

Aug 27, 2014 at 06:00 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

pepperman wrote:
So I purchased online a Canon 600EX-Rt Flash from Abes of Maine and I shortly after that received a call from a Sales Rep who wanted to inform me that I had purchased an Asian model and that there would be NO warranty card and no warranty on this flash! He pushed for me to buy a USA model and finally said it's only $40 difference so I caved in and said fine! When I received it today there was NO warranty card so I called Canon up to ask how to tell the difference? I was told that on
...Show more

Sorry but you got served.

Aug 27, 2014 at 07:12 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Tom Dix wrote:

Its possible they have people writing (fake) positive reviews all the time so as to raise the rating and keep it there and counter the negative reviews. If so then it is a fraudulent practice (not illegal) and it is done not only on reseller ratings site but in others and in all industries. Nature of the internet I guess. It is a huge undertaking to verify all that information and edit out the false reviews.

Aug 27, 2014 at 07:17 AM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

It is very important that when we purchase that we use credit cards rather than debit cards. Also when and if dispute is resolved & if a credit is issued we then notify that no charges are to be made unless authorized. That would eliminate the recharge problem. J. R.

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:12 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Abes of Maine has been shady for the last 20 year or more. I'm surprised they manage to stay in business all that time.

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:39 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Abes of Maine Scam.... or not????

Credit Card company is removing charge and disputing the questionable process so....serve returned! I learned the hard way with a purchase that I made here on FM and was glad that I used PayPal and a credit card to pay PayPal so I did not loose a penny! I am hoping for the same solution here. Just a shame that there are so many scammers everywhere its just not the way that I do things so it is not always on my radar!

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:40 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.