New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A Light in D-Minor

GoranPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Light in D-Minor

Recently visited an abandoned old building with a couple of friends. We brought some props and had ourselves a good time taking photos. Here's a sample:

A-Light-in-D-Minor by GoranPhoto, on Flickr
Nikon D800 - 24-120mm f4 - AlienBees B1600 + Large Octobox

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:46 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Light in D-Minor

It's a nice image and the lighting is great. One nit....for anyone who knows how a violin bow gets held, this one is very obviously fake. Next time, if you get hold of a violin, ask a couple of basic questions about how to hold it and the bow and it will really improve the image.

Just my musical two cents.

keith

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:19 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Light in D-Minor

A nicely put together image - great concept ... works well except for the bow (as beanpkk said).

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:40 PM
Shepherd_in_CO
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Light in D-Minor

beautiful light, composition, and tones.

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:50 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Light in D-Minor

beanpkk wrote:
It's a nice image and the lighting is great. One nit....for anyone who knows how a violin bow gets held, this one is very obviously fake. Next time, if you get hold of a violin, ask a couple of basic questions about how to hold it and the bow and it will really improve the image.

keith

+1 I noticed the bow right away. It is only a minor thing. This is a great image and is very well done and thought out.

Aug 27, 2014 at 09:59 AM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Light in D-Minor

Hehe yeah she held the bow kinda funny despite my instructions. She nailed it in a few other shots, but this one had the best lighting.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Light in D-Minor

I love these kind of atmospheric images. Really nice. Do you have any of her standing? Did you get the caped robe online at some costume seller?

Richard

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Light in D-Minor

Richard Booth wrote:
I love these kind of atmospheric images. Really nice. Do you have any of her standing? Did you get the caped robe online at some costume seller?

Richard

Thanks, Richard! I have a few different shots all trying for a different kind of "mood". Still going through them all and making some edits. Here is one I posted a few minutes ago: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314640
The cape and the dress were purchased on Etsy, which I find is a great source for photography props and costumes.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM
tele_pathic
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Light in D-Minor

Yeah, I noticed how she was holding the bow as well. 1. I don't think it's a nit. It's a distracting element. 2. I don't notice anything else about the image.

Aug 27, 2014 at 01:18 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Light in D-Minor

beanpkk wrote:

keith

Nice lighting and comp. I picked up the bow hold almost immediately, too.
Allan

Aug 27, 2014 at 05:03 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Light in D-Minor

It almost looks like a painting!

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:43 PM
BOB WOOD
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A Light in D-Minor

Wish I could do as well as you did here. My only suggestion would be to burn down the the music sheets at the bottom of the image. This bright area distracts from what should be the center of interest, the model. Just my opinion.

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:59 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A Light in D-Minor

I liked the lighting but definitely the first thing that caught my eye (too) was the way she held the bow. Too bad.

Aug 31, 2014 at 07:35 PM
2ndviolinman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A Light in D-Minor

Not only the bow hold- you pretty much cannot play violin in an arm chair.

Sep 01, 2014 at 08:50 AM
2ndviolinman
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A Light in D-Minor

I just want to add that it is very difficult for people without training to look natural "playing" the violin. In the movie "Master and Commander" Russell Crowe obviously spent a lot of time learning to fake and bow sync the extended violin scenes, to the point where he was often using correct fingerings for the passages he was faking. Still clearly faked, but I admire the effort that he put in to trying to make it look believable.

Most still photos with models not trained at al in violin playing are so unnatural looking the photographer would have been better off using a different prop, and I don't mean for the viewing pleasure of real players. One of the appealing aspects of violinist photographs is the sense of line and implied motion that one can get from the bow and bow arm. In this case, just as an example of how not to take advantage of this possible attribute, the line of the arm on the wheelchair cuts off the only possible downward motion of the bow arm. The player is visually and actually in a box.

Sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine, but I hope it will help others achieve better fake violin results.

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Shappy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A Light in D-Minor

My eyes went right to the ham fisted way the bow is being held. For some reason an audience will accept a mishandled musical instrument or other artistic instrument but won't accept a mishandled piece of sporting equipment. Go figure.

I think the lighting is excellent.

From the movie Fame;

Shorofsky: "No! No! No! Hold the bow like this! Not like this! This isn't your dick you're holding! It's a violin bow! Hold it with respect, like…"

Bruno Martelli: "...Your dick?"

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:34 PM
Truebeam

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A Light in D-Minor

GoranPhoto wrote:
Thanks, Richard! I have a few different shots all trying for a different kind of "mood". Still going through them all and making some edits. Here is one I posted a few minutes ago: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314640
The cape and the dress were purchased on Etsy, which I find is a great source for photography props and costumes.

Great image. Love the costume. Also find Esty very helpful for pros. Got the hats for the newborn there. Did notice the elbow and hands right away though I personally don't know what's the right position. But as others said, a minor stuff.

Sep 02, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A Light in D-Minor

This shot is absolutely stunning. Tones and mood are amazing.

Sep 05, 2014 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.