New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Proxy Falls Visit

injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Proxy Falls Visit

Hello,

I'm planning to visit Portland, Oregon in the end of September. From Portland Airport, I plan to go Proxy Falls first and take me 3 hrs to there.

Is it worth to drive 3 hrs and stay one night around there (hotel or Inn...??) to take pix in Proxy Falls ??

Please give me your advises,

Thanks,
IJ

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:09 PM
hosebag
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Proxy Falls Visit

Stay in Sisters Oregon, or Eugene.
These are closer to Proxy Falls.
Kind of a backwoods drive to get to Proxy, and then a hike on the trail to the falls. Be careful, the trails can be misleading, and we want to see you come out of there when you're done.

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:13 PM
injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Proxy Falls Visit

Thanks,
how far is it from parking to Proxy Falls? hard to get in there?

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:09 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Proxy Falls Visit

I've not been to Proxy falls, so can't speak to it. If you only have one day, the Mt Hood scenic loop (http://reed.edu/csail/Mt_Hood_Loop.pdf) has a ton of photo opportunities, including waterfalls, mountains, forest, orchards, and even wind surfing.

Great sightseeing and lots to do, not as much driving time, there are lots of hikes that you can spend as little or as much time as you want out and about.

You can make it an overnight trip and stay in Hood River/Skamania, Timberline Lodge, or just drive back to PDX.

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:41 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Proxy Falls Visit

Injail - like your screen name. Probably a story there..... :-)

I'm probably the poster child for for getting turned around at Proxy. So I can offer some pretty good suggestions. When you get to the trail head (well marked) there are actually two trails leading from the trail head parking area. Both are scenic. But the left trail is shorter (probably only two thirds of a mile, not exactly sure. You will come to a sort of viewing area that shows Proxy off in the distance. There is a log to sit on there. The trail continues on and becomes a switch back down to the base of the falls. When I was there, the trail after the viewing area was somewhat overgrown, but it is definitely there.

At the trail base, there is some downfall (large fallen trees) that you need to climb through to get out into the clearing that shows the base of Proxy. Play close attention at this point. After you clear the trees, look back and get a bearing for the trail. It is not as easily seen (or wasn't when I was there) and is easy to overlook. Once you have done that, go enjoy the falls and then you return the same way you came in. Have fun!!

Oh and by the way, my thoughts are that the morning hours are the best time. Light starts poking its way in around 9 or 10ish. However, many folks have made some incredible images that incorporate the light. Look at Harsha's shot here - [url=https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314059]

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:57 PM
ajkessler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Proxy Falls Visit

As always, it depends.

Proxy is a spectacular falls, but there are lots of spectacular falls much closer to Portland. From Portland, you're going to spend at least a full day to go down and shoot Proxy, even if you leave very early. If you haven't shot in the Columbia River Gorge before, you may want to shoot there instead of Proxy: you'll almost certainly get more photo opportunities in a single day. There is just so much to see in the gorge, and its all so close together.

It also depends on your physical condition. If you're relatively young and in decent shape, Proxy is a very easy hike. It's about 2 miles total, mostly trails, and involves only a slight scramble down a fairly gently ravine. As Jim mentions, there are some downed trees that you have to navigate, but they are fairly easy to duck under or hop over. If you're not in good shape or have bad balance, it could be challenging.

Aug 26, 2014 at 05:34 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Proxy Falls Visit

ajkessler: Which falls would you recommend near Portland. Names please - thx

Aug 28, 2014 at 04:36 PM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Proxy Falls Visit

Wait for a cloudy day....

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Proxy Falls Visit

remember the waterfalls WILL be running low - really low. It has been a dry and hot summer, and really has only rained maybe 3 inches since beginning of July. Wet season doesn't start until October, and they are forecasting an Indian summer.

Still doesn't mean you can't shoot waterfalls, just don't expect all the waterfalls to look like most of the images you see. Could be good for Proxy as you don't have to deal with spray as much.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.