New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 5DIII and the 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6L IS - nice

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIII and the 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6L IS - nice

I sold off my much loved 1DsIII to help finance the move to a 1Dx which is my bread and butter tool. Still I was finding in my landscape and "art" work that while the 1Dx image was good, they didn't manipulate as well as those from the 1DsIII. Having gotten paid by a customer whom I'd written off as a bad debt and finding the 5DIII at Canon referb, I decided to buy one.

It has taken me a while to get use to it. I've been shooting 1D whatever bodies forever and the 5DIII just seems small and its controls aren't as easy to access/change. Still I've been carrying it around and slowly growing to like its IQ and if not liking its form factor at least getting use to it. I had a chance to pick up a refurb 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6L IS at slightly over $1K and did so. I've found this lens/body combination to be remarkably versatile. Obviously I'm not shooting in the dark with it, but the 5DIII can do nice things all the way up to ISO 6400 (depending on the subject) and the 70-300 while not as quick or as sharp as my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II does a very respectable job. I've gotten some nice images with it and as a walk around kit it is remarkably compact for a "serious" camera. I've considered getting a 24-70mm f/4.0L IS to go with it, but response to the lens has been rather mixed so I haven't done anything. Still the idea of a "normal" form factor 2 lens f/4.0 kit is appealing as much of the work I'd use this for is done in daylight or "golden hour."

Just a single data point from out here in random space

Robert

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:19 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIII and the 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6L IS - nice

Hi Robert,

When I'm on a Landscape jaunt the 5D3 is my go to body (although I'm playing with a Sony a7r which might win me over). Also have the 70-300L IS and like you, have been impressed at just how good it is. When compared to 70-200 f/2.8 IS II (which is still the best IMO) I'll rank this zoom a reasonably close 2nd in performance with comparable Ap's. What appeals to me the most about it is the combination of reduced weight and performance.

BTW: I picked up a Kenko DGX 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 that actual works with it and 5D3. It reports the correct Ap and focuses reasonably quick at the extended range of 420 @f/8.0

Matt

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:02 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIII and the 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6L IS - nice

For decades, due to physical limitations, I've generally shot with two or three f4 zoooms; fast primes only when shooting low-light evening events; f2.8 zooms have just been to heavy.

Currently my go-to trio consists of a 17-40L, 24-85 and 70-200 f4L IS.; with the 24-85 left at home most of the time, a 50 f1.4 in its place. This will change in the near future as I'l probably pickup Canon's new 16-35 and perhaps the 24-70 both f4L IS lenses to replace the older glass. I've found IS to be extremely helpful and am looking forward to moving to a FF body with high ISO capabilities; 6D, 5D3 or their next iterations.

I found the 70-300 uncomfortable to use, it's kind of chubby/short and the focus/zoom rings are reversed unlike most zooms. That said it's IQ is stunning and it has Canon's latest IS which is a big bonus. For most it would make a great tele zoom

I like the fact that the 70-200L's barrel does not extend and has a constant aperture, the balance of this kind of lens just has a better feel for me.

Above 200mm I prefer primes, but have considered the 100-400L, and am hoping Canon actually updates it, making it lighter and a two-ring design instead of the current push-pull. I'd love to add the new 200-400L but would like to keep both kidneys; just in case

Have fun with your 5D3 and 70-300, no doubt they make a great team

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:18 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DIII and the 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6L IS - nice

I found the 70-300 uncomfortable to use, it's kind of chubby/short and the focus/zoom rings are reversed unlike most zooms. That said it's IQ is stunning and it has Canon's latest IS which is a big bonus. For most it would make a great tele zoom I would say that reversing the zoom and focus rings is the big irritation with the lens. It does make one scratch their head. "So tell me, Mr. Canon, why can't you decide where the zoom rings lives?" Looking at the lens carefully I can't see a reason for the odd positioning though obviously it would have had to be engineered differently.

Anyway it is working well in chasing the south bound hummers (and other exotics) passing thru. I'm also finding the 5DIII on tripod with say the 24mm f/3.5L TSE to be an outstanding landscape kit.

Robert

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.