New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

hobbit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

I will have some time in late September to shoot in San Francisco one afternoon/evening. I was planning to try and capture some images of the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset and wanted some location advice.

I’ve seen some nice images that were capture from the Battery Spencer/Kirby Cove/Marin Headlands area, but I suspect this is not the ideal location at sunset as the sun and dramatic sky colors would be behind me.

I’ve also seen some nice images taken near Vista Point (northeast of the bridge), but the location is at sea level and so I suspect that most of the sky would be covered by the bridge/shore.

I would really like to get some suggestions on where the best location is to shoot at sunset. I figured I’d head to the Marin Headlands area after sunset to get a nice image of the bridge at night time.

I did some searching on the forum, but wasn't able to find a thread about sunset locations. Thanks in advance for any help.

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:07 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

For sunset, I think Baker Beach is a great place. It is a nudist beach too, so be prepared to see some skin that you really don't want to see

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:28 PM
hobbit
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it could be a solid option based on some images I'm seeing online.

Would certainly welcome some other recommendations.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:06 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

-

Edited on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2014 at 03:25 PM
hobbit
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

Dan - Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thorough post on the subject. It's extremely helpful and I really appreciate your help.

Aug 27, 2014 at 09:25 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

A very popular location to photograph the Golden Gate bridge is from China Beach/Baker Beach. the two beaches are right next to one another (in fact it is one continuous stretch of beach) on the San Francisco end of the bridge (South Tower). You can access the beach(es) from 25th Avenue or from the Presidio of San Francisco and drive along Lincoln Blvd, while in the Presidio, to the 25th Ave beach parking lot.

Check for sunset times. As of today (Sept 12) sunset is at 7:24 PM and with every passing day, sunset will be a minute earlier. You should go way before that time to plan your composition, and in my estimation the most intense colors usually occur about 20-30 minutes after sunset. The Golden Gate Bridge will be bathed in an orange glow. Turning your camera to the west, you may be able to catch Point Lobos jutting out silhouetted with the sunset colors.

Another option, as gdanmitchell points out, is to photograph the bridge from the Marin county (north end) of the bridge. You exit the north end of the bridge at Conzelman Drive and drive up the winding road to select your vista of the bridge towers and SF in the background. Try it from both directions.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:51 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

I would second dallte's suggestion. Check out the situation first on upper Conzelman Drive. If things are pretty socked in, you might get lucky and see the top of the North Tower sticking out above the clouds if they're low enough, whereas it could be a total loss down at China/Baker Beach.

Even if it looks hopeless, stick around because fog conditions can change within seconds—I've had it happen many times. But do try to cover both locations.

Then head down to Q restaurant on Clement, my favorite eatery in all of SF! Order their justly famous duck confit.

Good luck!
Merrill

Sep 13, 2014 at 02:12 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

The old Mark Twain adage holds a great deal of truth when he said that the coldest winter he had spent was a summer in San Francisco. SF's "air-conditioned" climate is such that Pacific ocean fog often envelops the west half of the city in July/August and even into September while the eastern half is bathed in sunshine. So it can be overcast and clammy when the fog rolls in. This is because the Central Valley of California gets so hot in summer that thermal convection results in the sucking in of cooler marine air --and fog-- from the ocean. However, September should be better.

Herb Caen (RIP), SF's iconic columnist used to write that " if you don't like the weather in SF, just move a few blocks." It's still true. So try both north and south ends of the bridge.

And Clement St does have some nice (inexpensive) eats. Lot's of ethnic restaurants in that street. But then, SF is a great foodie city.

Sep 13, 2014 at 07:02 PM
hobbit
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

I wanted to revisit this post as my business trip to SF last year was cancelled. However, next week I'm traveling there for a friends wedding and will have some time to shoot the Golden Gate at sunrise and sunset.

Wanted to get some feedback on my "plan of attack" I'm thinking sunrise on the west side of the bridge. One morning at Baker Beach and another at the Marin Headlands area. Will likely have only one evening for sunset and am thinking southeast of the bridge in the Chrissy Field or possibly Golden Gate Pavillion area.

Completely open to suggestions. I assume my current locations will not be a problem to get to at ~5:30 am for sunrise and ~8:30 pm for sunset.

Really appreciate the feedback I received on this thread previously and thanks in advance for any additional help.

Jun 21, 2015 at 03:18 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

msshea wrote:
Then head down to Q restaurant on Clement, my favorite eatery in all of SF! Order their justly famous duck confit.

Or to B Star... ;-)

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM
fotobandi

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

Have you used suncalc.net or the photographers ephemeris?

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM
hobbit
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

No. I'll have to check it out. Thank you.

Jun 23, 2015 at 07:25 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Golden Gate Bridge Sunset Location Suggestion

^ BTW, I used to be from Queens, but have lived in SoCal for 38 years now. A "native"

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.