Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Sunday evening for the first time in a long time I stopped in at my best friend's/fellow musician's log home that he has been building all year. He had recently finished staining the interior and it is virtually empty. We both are guitarists and this was our first jam in his house. The way the sound bounces and reverberates is quite something. The recordings just off of my tablet sound incredible. We can't wait to record with professional equipment in the future.

So, before we jammed we took a walk around his property. Right across from his place is this bean field. Two summers ago I got many great photos here and with thunderstorm watches in effect I was hoping there would be a nice sunset opportunity. Well, the sunset was quite spectacular. While setting up this pano I decided not to ask my friend to move as it added another element of interest. The red plaid jacket is what mostly caught my eye. It really compliments the green field. This was a very tricky panorama to capture and I didn't even think it would turn out. It was quite windy and it was a delicate balance of using acceptable ISO setting/shutter speed to not get blur but not have so much noise the image is useless. So I was happy that this one turned out.

Multi image panorama shot in portrait. 0.6 + 0.9 GND filters used and 3 exposures for dynamic range. HUGE file!

Hope you enjoy!

Click photo to view on black (recommended)!

Click here for a larger view!

Thanks for looking!

View on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thereal7/14850155977/
View on 500px: http://500px.com/photo/81054063/

Edited on Aug 27, 2014 at 01:19 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:23 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Lovely shot! Good decision to include your friend. A person adds an interesting extra element to the shot.

Aug 26, 2014 at 05:49 AM
CC..Doc

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Scott,
I remember your field shots from a few years ago and thought they were so creative with an everyday "thing". You do good at making pie out of mud! As with the other field shots, this one is right up there! Good work. Thanks for sharing.
Corinne

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:01 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

One hell of a shot! The processing is super nice, and I love the tones of the foliage with the warm light speckled throughout. Got my vote

Did you by chance take a couple more shots of the left side? I think if it was a bit wider, the lines in the field might curl up and give the shot a nice natural frame.

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:21 AM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Very nice Scott, appreciate the larger version too.

Mike

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:47 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Incredible shot Scott. Love the tonal range in the image.
Harsha

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:27 AM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Killer shot, man!

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

love the light.
very nice.

David

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

I'm not normally a fan of these types of shots, but this one works very nicely. Good job.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Great imaging, Scott.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Nice shot Scott and the processing is just perfect.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Hey Scott,

Very well done, glad the pano turned out. That setting sun sure is sweet.

I do find that gap in the rows on the right a little distracting though, so I do wish that wasn't there. Still a great shot, but I think complete rows would have been even better. Now have you tried cropping the pano in half? Taking just the left half with your friend and cropping right before that gap? I think it would also make a cool shot.

Jim

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:40 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Scott,

This is one heck of a pano. Love the light, inclusion of the guy. I'm going to have to disagree (sorry :P ) with Jim on the gap. I love that you picked out a single bean plant among the rows. Good stuff man.

Jason

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:52 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Scott very nice I like your friend in the shot I think it adds a lot. Great job with this one. Regards Dean

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:12 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Really nice work Scott. I am not big on people in my photo, but this photo is really nice!

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Thank you all very much!

CC..Doc wrote:
Scott,
I remember your field shots from a few years ago and thought they were so creative with an everyday "thing". You do good at making pie out of mud! As with the other field shots, this one is right up there! Good work. Thanks for sharing.
Corinne

Thank you Corinne. This field is so unique for the area. A little bit of rolling hills and they way the farmer seeds it creates many odd lines. Not typical of a normal field. Some curved lines, some crossing over others. I am glad I brought my camera that evening.
---------------------------------------------

Justin Grimm wrote:
One hell of a shot! The processing is super nice, and I love the tones of the foliage with the warm light speckled throughout. Got my vote

Did you by chance take a couple more shots of the left side? I think if it was a bit wider, the lines in the field might curl up and give the shot a nice natural frame.

Thank you Justin! This photo definitely turned out way better than I expected. I took two of these. One slightly earlier with different settings and too much motion blur on the bean plants. That is why I chose ISO400. This was a monster of dynamic range to capture and process. I used a 0.6 and 0.9 GND filters as well as 3 exposures across the panorama. Time consuming working with such a huge file.

This final is a crop of the original stitch (which I no longer have). I spent a lot of time with the crop on this one and tried many different options, including your suggestion, and in the end this was what spoke to me the most and gave me the best sense of being there. When i view this one on my 30in IPS calibrated display, I feel like I can reach into the monitor and touch the plants. Again, blowing my expectations of how I thought this pano would turn out. I have a few other shots of the field taken before sunset and will post below.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Scott,

Very well done, glad the pano turned out. That setting sun sure is sweet.

I do find that gap in the rows on the right a little distracting though, so I do wish that wasn't there. Still a great shot, but I think complete rows would have been even better. Now have you tried cropping the pano in half? Taking just the left half with your friend and cropping right before that gap? I think it would also make a cool shot.

Jim

Thank you Jim. I totally see your point here but will have to agree to disagree. For me, the lone bean plant is the odd duck, the anomaly, the bizarre and unusual. I think a perfect field (with rows) has been more than done. I like them too and have taken many myself at this same field but the lone plant is what I searched for and was happy to find just before sunset. A lot of photographers have that burning desire to take that perfect photo. For me, I don't believe there is such a thing as perfect photo. My motto for photography is "only when you search for imperfection will you find perfection." Call me crazy but that is me!

roguecoolman wrote:
Scott,

This is one heck of a pano. Love the light, inclusion of the guy. I'm going to have to disagree (sorry :P ) with Jim on the gap. I love that you picked out a single bean plant among the rows. Good stuff man.

Jason

Thank you Jason. Everyone will have their likes/dislikes. I knew that the lone plant might not appeal to all but it appeals to me. Hence why I photographed it.

Brad Williams wrote:
Really nice work Scott. I am not big on people in my photo, but this photo is really nice!

Thank you Brad. I too am in the same boat regarding people in landscapes but this is rarity for me. It was mostly the colour contrast of his jacked and the bean plants as well as the rim light from the sunset. I told him to stand perfectly still! His quote on seeing the photo "Pic looks awesome. Especially that tall handsome guy on the left. . And the sunset looks good too..." It made me laugh!

Edited on Aug 26, 2014 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:35 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

A few more from this evening before sunset and a night photo attempt!

I didnt want to make new threads for these.

Awesome sunrays while walking to the bean field.

Panorama of the bean field before the burst of colour.

Another photo of the lone bean plant.

Later that night I tried a milky way shot.

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:38 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Hey Scott,

Nice additions here. #4 with your lone duck really looks cool.

I like the stars in #5 and that stand of trees. In #2, I really like the rays from the sun, super cool. But I think I would crop some off the bottom to lose everything below that shadow line.

Jim

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

The first one with your friend in the field... Is this a single shot or a couple of exposures blended together (one for the sky and one for the field). The dynamic range would make the field black (and it should) so if this is a single exposure you pulled greens and the field quite a bit. Right? Or you've used some ND grad?

In any case, beautiful shots Scott. But you need to get out and see some mountains. Almost all your shots are from some "flat" land you live in Still, even thought they are "flat" you pull the best out of them. Really shows creativity and imagination... Great job dude.

Aug 27, 2014 at 01:12 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bean Field Sunset (pano) +4

Thank you Jim!

Thank you Gregg. You don't know HOW badly I want to photograph mountains and such. Nothing like that here and nothing like for a thousands of kilometers and no budget to get to them either! C'mon lotto ticket!!!!!!

Edited on Aug 28, 2014 at 04:23 PM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.