FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

So last week at the end of a business trip to the extreme northern area of Norway I had a single day to go out shooting. I rented a car and headed to the islands of Kvaløya and Sommarøy. The weather, which had been pretty dismal through the majority of my time in country actually cooperated by clearing enough to allow a little sun while keeping lots of dramatic clouds in the sky - in short perfect landscape shooting weather.

I spent a very fun day driving about and shooting, and came away with a handful of images I liked. These 3 below are my 3 favorites. Thanks for looking and as always, critique is welcomed.

1) Living On The Edge - The mountains come right down to the water along the many dramatic fjords, and it is amazing to see structures crowded into a very narrow strip right at the water's edge:
http://www.thinairphotography.com/img/s6/v135/p222191353-5.jpg

2) Rocky Shore - I just liked this large boulder sitting on the shore with the backdrop of some dramatic weather behind it:
http://www.thinairphotography.com/img/s6/v144/p39220421-5.jpg

3) Out To Sea At Sunset - Found a west facing fjord right around the time of sunset:
http://www.thinairphotography.com/img/s1/v57/p308806515-5.jpg

I found the entire area very scenic and it was especially amazing to hear that the locals didn't even consider the area I visited to be particularly scenic by Norwegian standards. I can't wait for an opportunity to go back with a chance to see some of the sites elsewhere in Norway and hopefully lots more time to spend.

ML

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

Mike, these are really nice! I like all three, but number three is a standout. On the first image, do you have another version of this that shows a bit more water at the bottom of the frame? That might balance things a bit better (e.g., with the strip of sky at the top of the frame). On the third image, if it were mine, I would either try to clone out the bushes at the bottom of the frame, or simply crop some of the bottom off (or a combination of these approaches). It might be worth keeping some of the bushes (e.g., bottom left hand side, to balance the shore on the bottom right hand side). At any rate, those are just my thoughts and preferences. These are really nice. Thanks for sharing!
Keith W.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

Very nice. I especially like 1 & 3.

Cheers,
Ryan

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:49 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

Thanks for the replies!

Keith- unfortunately, I didn't compose a shot with more water at the bottom. As is often the case for me out on a shoot, this was a very quick, hop out of the car and shoot handheld, almost throwaway shot that I only realized I liked quite a bit after the fact. I only did 2 framings, with the other one even tighter to the point of having only a sliver of water at the bottom (and crooked at that too.) So your comments are well made, and I guess another advertisement for slowing down, getting the tripod out, and taking a breath before moving on to another location But of course at the time this was not what I was thinking I would like later, so that's what happened.

As for the sunset shot, I have many more crops of that scene, but I decided the one with the foliage framing it around both the sides and the bottom was my favorite. But I may go back and play a bit with a few others that are zoomed in a little more. I was also trying to keep the majority of the jaggies on the top of the right peak in the composition as well which is one of the reasons this was my favorite.

Ryan - Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!

ML

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

Very nice series. I too like #3 the best. very peaceful scene.
Harsha

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:29 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

-

Edited on Sep 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:02 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

Hey Mike,

You have some cool shots here. #1 works well, the slightly desaturated look of it works. #3 is my favorite though, and so it is too bad that with that image you didn't slow down and get the tripod out. You still did a nice job with it, but I am guessing that location could have had more possibilities for shots had you stopped to look around a bit.

Jim

Aug 26, 2014 at 05:38 PM
another_mikey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summer Above The Arctic Circle

Thanks again to all who replied, and with such great detailed comments!

Dan - thanks for taking such a large amount of time to give input. I will definitely have to go play with some of the cropping suggestions, I think you likely have some input that could improve the impact of the shots and focus a little more on the main subjects. I always love your work and greatly appreciate getting direct feedback from you!

Jim - As it turns out for once I got to my proposed sunset site early carrying a tripod and so I DID shoot #3 using a tripod, and I ended up with many many different versions of the scene between the 24-105 L and the 70-300 L lenses I had with me (the 16-265 seemed too wide so I kept it in the bag this time.). After a lot of comparisons and back and forth in Lightroom this was the version I liked the best. The light was changing quickly for a while, and so there is some trade-off between the sets of bracketed exposures I liked and compositions I liked, but in this case it all felt much less rushed than I normally end up feeling, as I probably spent almost an hour there. In cases like this, I am never sure if I have picked the ultimate 'best' version of a scene (whatever that means) but this version is pretty representative of what I liked about the view that evening. As stated above to Dan, I am at least familiar with your work as posted here and I greatly appreciate the time and effort taken by you in helping me refine my images - feedback from truly skilled shooters is just invaluable

Harsha - Thanks for looking and for the comments. It was in fact a very peaceful scene, other than some gusty winds at times. It was a perfect cap to a wonderful day of shooting, that's for sure.

ML

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.