Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

Goldring

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

I'm about to buy a new laptop and trying to choose between the cheaper 15" macbook pro and the more expensive one.

The cheaper one for me in Canada is $1999 and has the following specs
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

The more expensive is $1499 and has the following specs (Update - I meant $2499 for this one)
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)

I use Lightroom and some Photoshop. Is the discrete graphics card, speed boost, and storage worth $500? I a semi-pro that shoots 5 or 6 weddings a summer with some other jobs here and there, on top of my own family shots.

What are your thoughts.

Edited on Aug 26, 2014 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Aug 25, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

someone else recommended the better video card (in a post I saw recently)
The i7 and SSD and 16 gig of RAM make for a very fast machine.
Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

The $1499 machine is a better deal by far.

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:56 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

I don't know how much the discrete card helps with LR and PS. However do keep in mind that in Rertina MacBook Pro's the SSD is soldered on the board and can't be replaced. So if you go for the 256GB SSD then make sure it will be enough for your needs. If a year down the road you run out of space, you won't be able to upgrade to a bigger capacity drive.

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:20 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

Are you sure that 2nd machine isn't $2499? If not, buy an extra one for me.

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:23 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

The discrete graphics card will be a big benefit if you are ever using high resolution screens and are doing things like rotating, resizing and moving images as part of your editing process. It should also help Ps with some calculations such as for sharpening.

The discrete card is probably essential if you ever want a 4k screen - and I reckon everyone will want to do that when they realise how good it is, but retina users should already have a pretty good idea.

The extra flash storage will be handy for speeding up Lr by providing the fastest possible speed for reading and writing catalogue databases, previews, caches, etc. and for Ps by providing the fastest possible cache and scratch disk.

You will never be able to upgrade the internal memory or flash storage and so I recommend that you get as much as possible up front. Ditto for the cpu - Lr loves a faster cpu, so get the 2.8/4GHz one if you can. 8GB of RAM is plenty for Lr and most things but Ps loves RAM. That is probably not a big deal if it has access to a very speedy scratch disk on the flash storage but Ps also likes to allocate and keep RAM all for itself. If you only have 8GB then be sure to not let Ps withhold too much RAM from Lr.

The right mix of features depends on how much you use Lr vs Ps, and how much you use both simultaneously. And price is a major factor too. Unfortunately you have to spend all the money up front or else resign yourself to upgrading the computer sooner rather than later. At least with thunderbolt 2 you can get access to speedy external storage, but it will not help with RAM or cpu speed.

Another big factor is your own attitude - are you patient enough to put up with a slower and cheaper computer ? Or do want things to happen when you press the enter key?

- Alan

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:10 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

I'm assuming you misstated the price on the second MacBook Pro. I imagine it is in the $2500 (CD) range. The better graphics card is worth more money. While Adobe doesn't do a good job with GPU support it has been improving. Also most of Adobe's products are more responsive to higher CPU speeds than anything else.

As Alan notes above it is very difficult to upgrade Apple's current MacBooks (d*mn them) so buy the max you can afford. The larger SSD is a huge plus, the graphics card will be a boost and the 2.5 Ghz will outperform the slower model.

Robert

(It is possible to do some upgrading on these machines, see OWC but it's not for the faint of heart and frankly probably not worth the effort.) Spend the $400.

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:02 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

I don't do Mac but a discrete card and separate scratch drive will let PS FLY...

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:49 AM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

the fan of my MBP makes too much noise when the discrete card is activated. I only use it when I have to, like with the external screen

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:35 AM
simchippy

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · discrete graphics card on Macbook Pro?

My mbp gets hot with when the video card kicks in! Very hot and if its on my lap it has a tendency to burn at the vents and make me nauseous. yes the fans makes more noise and battery consumption goes way up. I dont mind the trade off when performance is needed but hate it when websites with flash or sliders kick the graphics card on. If batch processing in PS will be your heaviest load on system I don't think the extra money is worth it. If you plan to use external monitor with 4k then maybe. Otherwise I would be more concerned about the size of the hard drive on a non upgradeable notebook. And always max the ram its cheap.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.