Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

lensrentalscanada.com

dangod

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lensrentalscanada.com

Have any fellow Canadians used this www.lensrentalscanada.com service ? I tried to, but that abruptly ended today before it could even begin.

I'm going to the Canadian International Air Show in Toronto this weekend and wanted to bring a larger lens. So, to prepare for this, I initiated an order with lensrentalscanada.com on August 8th for a Nikon 200-400mm f/4G VR II ... it was definitely available for the dates requested. Proceeded to pay $305.10 in Canadian funds for a 4 day rental with damage waiver. August 11th I receive an email stating that to finishing processing the order, I had to phone them. I did so that afternoon, answered a bunch of questions .. where do I work, what will I be using the lens for, what camera will it be on ...etc., bullsh@# questions in my mind. After answering the questions, the girl said everything was ok and we hung up. In my account history, it showed the lens as being VR I so I emailed to confirm it was indeed the expected VR II, they responded right away to confirm yes, it was VR II. Great, that was the last email I received from them until today.

Today they email to say 'unfortunately' their management had not heard back from me regarding the rental, and that it had not been approved by security. They said a deposit was required to proceed. I promptly phoned them within 1/2 hour of receiving that email to ask what was going on. They said I had not been approved by 'security' and that if I wanted to proceed, a full deposit of approximately $9000 had to be paid up front before they shipped the lens. I asked what was wrong with my 'security' check, the girl didn't know as she apparently wasn't given that information.

W....T....F.... ? I prepaid the $305.10 deposit using a Canadian credit card with my name and address and more than $30,000 in credit available on that card. The lens shipping address was the same as my billing address, my residential address. I called my credit card company today and confirmed there are no issues/blocks on the card. I called lensrentalscanada.com when requested and answered each and every question they asked. Every email conversation that we had was fine up until this management email. My bitching at them afterwards apparently went through fine as well. For the record, after phoning them today, I got an email stating my deposit had been returned (I have yet to see my credit card bill to confirm).

With that said, this email is more to vent and yes, to 'tattle'. I'm still curious, has anyone else had any experiences with them, good or bad. Is my experience out of the ordinary ?

Aug 25, 2014 at 06:34 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lensrentalscanada.com

I have not rented from them as I am in the US but they did have this issue at the beginning of the month:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1838830154/lens-rentals-canada-halts-service-citing-serious-issues-with-canada-post

This may have some bearing on their new security process.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:55 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lensrentalscanada.com

Maybe they are more paranoid now due to rencent theft of their equipment. They are a really small operation, and any kind of loss would sink them.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lensrentalscanada.com

Also, I have bought equipment from them in the past. The owner was honest and upfront to a fault. They had a few copies of the same lens for sale. I bought the first one. He later sold the last one at a discount. The owner contacted me and offered to refund the difference even though I had no idea what he sold any of the lenses for. Amazing considering that was the one and only time I ever dealt with him or his company.

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lensrentalscanada.com

Inability to insure is why I scuttled a planned rental from Lens Rentals in the U.S. The cost to the company offering rentals to self-insure might be cost prohibitive as well.

Aug 27, 2014 at 05:00 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lensrentalscanada.com

Lens Rentals Canada is not related to LensRentals.com.

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:29 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password