FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Critique - JakAHearts

JakAHearts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Critique - JakAHearts

Hey hey. I wouldnt mind getting in on this critique train.

www.ReighardPhotography.com or clients.reighardphotography.com Thanks!!

Aug 25, 2014 at 01:34 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Critique - JakAHearts

You don't have a lot of work, so it will be a little difficult to know what your tendencies are as they will most likely evolve quite a bit as you shoot more. But the main thing is you shoot a lot at normal to tele focal lengths at eye level. It's more difficult to stand out with this perspective because that is how most people see the world (well not so much tele, but you know what I mean). In addition to that, I'd try to pay a lot more attention to facial expressions when shooting/culling.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:18 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Critique - JakAHearts

Hey Shane! Looking through your blog you had clean images that were well lit and consistent.

For critique...

1. Everything was cropped really tight. It's as if you are afraid to bring more into the frame. Try backing up and providing more context. Using your environment to enhance the shot can be difficult, but it makes for a stronger image.

2. The posing seems to photographer led and forced. Typically I set the couple up and then let them take time to interact and act natural.

I hope that helps!

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:24 PM
robots4joey

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Critique - JakAHearts

Hi Jak,

Only thing in addition to what has been mentioned is the arrows on your gallery page are different sized and look like video play buttons. They are also not on every photo and are inconsistent. I would recommend doing away with the arrows entirely.

I think your night-rain shots are great, at the next wedding make a plan for another epic photo and make it happen.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Critique - JakAHearts

robots4joey wrote:
Hi Jak,

Only thing in addition to what has been mentioned is the arrows on your gallery page are different sized and look like video play buttons. They are also not on every photo and are inconsistent. I would recommend doing away with the arrows entirely.

I think your night-rain shots are great, at the next wedding make a plan for another epic photo and make it happen.

Thanks! The buttons actually dont even do anything. I had a few people tell me they couldnt figure out how to get to the next image in the gallery and the web company claims that they wont change the way the autoplay works. Trust me, I hate them too.

Thanks for your time and input!

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Critique - JakAHearts

The slideshow that autoplays when you first visit the site has photos that appear to be blurry and out of focus. I'm assuming it's because they were optimized a little too much. Also, all your text isn't really text at all....but text in a JPG. Not a good SEO practice.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Critique - JakAHearts

Thanks, Rondphoto! Yea, I struggled with loadtimes versus quality on the video. Perhaps Ill up it a bit. As for the SEO, Ive actually never booked a wedding apart from a referral. Nor do I want to as of now, so I leave it be. Thanks so much!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.