New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · is it normal...

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · is it normal...

For an Lp-e6 to last forever?? I've used these batteries for years in a 5D2 or 7D and I used to get about 800-900 images on a battery.

This weekend, I shot an airshow (my first one) and shot over 2800 shots with the 5D3 and 500IS II and the battery was still 50% charged!!! I used to shoot with V1 of the 500, could it be that the lens consumes less power? IS2 was used for most of the show.

Either way, the mk3 is an amazing camera. I wish it did 10fps, but that's my only gripe!

Aug 24, 2014 at 06:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · is it normal...

No. My batteries from the 7D (~2009) are not in good shape.

Is it to normal to have such a vague title?

EBH

Aug 24, 2014 at 06:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · is it normal...

You musta got one on steroids! My LP-E6 haven't seen nearly the longevity and were pretty feeble after 2 or 3 years. I have one I got with my 7D in 2009 and it's good for 60 or 70 shots before it fades.

Aug 24, 2014 at 06:42 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · is it normal...

My LP-E6s are still pretty new (none older than three years, I think), and although one is on the last red bar in "recharge performance," I'm still getting a fair number of shots out of them.

I'm finding the way I shoot is the biggest factor: if I shoot bursts (with a 5D III or a 60D, in the past), I get close to 3K shots on one charge, with some battery still remaining. That would be with minimal review (chimping) and no copying from one card to another (a battery hog in the 5D III). I just do not use the 5D II for bursts, and rarely get above 1500 shots on one charge or so.

I'm assuming the OP was mostly talking about shots per charge, rather than how well the battery keeps performing after months and years of use...

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · is it normal...

Haven't really counted shots, but have found when often reviewing shots; chimping, or extensively using liveview in controlled sustained situations, I tend to go through batteries fairly quick.

When out and about, at kids sports events, the beach shooting surfers or at wetlands trying to catch BIF; which is rare, my battery usage is lite, I'm not much of an LCD watcher; old habits form my film days.

As for the LP-E6 batteries, I've not used my 7D enough to know how long they last, my prior bodies have used the 511As; 40D/50D...I've always kept 4 batteries fully charged when out shooting, 2 in grip, 2 spares in pocket

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:32 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · is it normal...

verbiage wrote:
My LP-E6s are still pretty new (none older than three years, I think), and although one is on the last red bar in "recharge performance," I'm still getting a fair number of shots out of them.

I'm finding the way I shoot is the biggest factor: if I shoot bursts (with a 5D III or a 60D, in the past), I get close to 3K shots on one charge, with some battery still remaining. That would be with minimal review (chimping) and no copying from one card to another (a battery hog in the 5D III). I just do not use
...Show more

Good to know. I usually chimp a bit, but for the show I didn't chimp to much. I guess that's what did it! FYI, they are 2013 model year.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:16 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · is it normal...

EB-1 wrote:
No. My batteries from the 7D (~2009) are not in good shape.

Is it to normal to have such a vague title?

EBH

Having a vague title seems the only way my threads get attention. Yes, I'm boring.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:17 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · is it normal...

StillFingerz wrote:
Haven't really counted shots...

Jerry, neither have I (nor too many people out there), but 5Ds, 60D, later-model 1D's (and possibly 7D, too) just show the number of shots taken on a charge when you look to see the % remaining battery power in the menus

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:09 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · is it normal...

Slav, haven't read up or shot much with the 7D, will take note, looking forward to a few afternoon's shooting at the beach/wetlands, surfers, BIF and bikini clad birds the elusive ones

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:29 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · is it normal...

I recently shot a wedding with a 7D and a 5D3. At the end of the day I had 1500 from the 7D and just under 3100 from the 5D3. I didn't have to change the battery on either camera. The 5D3 performance is amazing. I've gotten 2700 out of a 5D3 battery in the past, but this was the first time over 3k. Maybe the combination of not letting the battery sit and chimping less than normal might have had something to do with it? Who knows!

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:38 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · is it normal...

Standard response to "Is it Normal..": No.

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:39 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · is it normal...

If I'm shooting heavily in one day, like an airshow or an auto race, I can get 2,000 to 3,000 shots on one battery. Even with older LP-E6's that have one red bar, I can get thousands of shots.

But if I'm shooting normally, say 200-300 shots per week, I'll get less than 1,000.

Mark

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:53 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · is it normal...

msalvetti wrote:
If I'm shooting heavily in one day, like an airshow or an auto race, I can get 2,000 to 3,000 shots on one battery. Even with older LP-E6's that have one red bar, I can get thousands of shots.

But if I'm shooting normally, say 200-300 shots per week, I'll get less than 1,000.

Mark

+1 That, of course, is because they slowly lose charge. That's why, if I'm going to eg an airshow I check them and top them up the previous day. My son-in-law hasn't learnt that yet and at Red Bull Air Races last week he got through nearly three batteries in an afternoon, whereas I hardly touched 1.
Niall

Aug 25, 2014 at 03:53 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · is it normal...

I'm just glad that this thread didn't start with a shot of someone's junk.

Aug 25, 2014 at 04:54 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · is it normal...

Pretty much what the others say. I have managed to get a couple thousand shots off the battery but I have also drained it under an hour though overuse of the video, live view, and such. Once I even managed to overheat the camera (or battery) shooting video for a prolonged time in the summer heat and direct sunlight -- a little thermometer icon started flashing and wouldn't go away until I stopped shooting video for a period.

Some settings like the one that makes your camera sleep after a certain period of inactivity can be set to prolong battery life, depending on how you expect to shoot.

Aug 25, 2014 at 05:31 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · is it normal...

lowa2 wrote:
Having a vague title seems the only way my threads get attention. Yes, I'm boring.

Nah, the best way to get attention is to post whatever you are asking with "NSFW" somewhere in the title.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:01 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · is it normal...

I can tell you what "normal" is. It's a setting on a clothes dryer that doesn't work too well!

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:15 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · is it normal...

lowa2 wrote:
For an Lp-e6 to last forever?? I've used these batteries for years in a 5D2 or 7D and I used to get about 800-900 images on a battery.

This weekend, I shot an airshow (my first one) and shot over 2800 shots with the 5D3 and 500IS II and the battery was still 50% charged!!! I used to shoot with V1 of the 500, could it be that the lens consumes less power? IS2 was used for most of the show.

Either way, the mk3 is an amazing camera. I wish it did 10fps, but that's my only gripe!

I usually don't keep up with the number of images on a battery as I keep a charged up extra with me all the time. Unless I'm out all day I almost never need the extra. I have gotten over a 2000 shots on a battery at the ballet using continuous Ai Servo during
the dances before changing the battery. Then it wasn't more than 3/4 down before changing.
And yes, I trash 99 % of the images looking for as close to that perfect image in each dance that I can get.

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · is it normal...

Chimping is a significant power drain. Live View uses a lot.
I have my 1DX and 5D3 set so that image review is off, a single press of the Set button brings up 10x mag of the focused point, and a second press shows the whole image. When I'm shooting action of any kind, I only review when I feel I need to. The 5D3 doesn't do nearly as much action shooting as the 1DX, but when needed, that little battery lasts a long time. Both cameras seem more power efficient than the older models were. The 5D2 and 1D3/4 were not too far behind, though. The 1D2 with older battery type did not get as many shots, and the original 1D was a battery hog, I assume because of the CCD.

Aug 29, 2014 at 07:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.