Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

CPS yes, no?

Tim Knutson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CPS yes, no?

I'm wondering how strict Canon is on CPS eligibility, regarding the full time pro requirement. I've got the points, but I'm not a full time anything.

Going to need a shutter soon, and a 17-40 disassembled for cleaning. so, I'm guessing the 20% would be a win for me. As long as I don't have to swear on a bible, and cross my heart.

Anybody care to admit out loud?

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:55 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CPS yes, no?

Been asked and answered. Try the search function.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CPS yes, no?

Well, I searched on " cps eligibility" all boards for the last year and got zero hits.

Searched "cps" all boards for the last year, and saw no topics relating to eligibility questions. Granted I didnt read every one.

Seemed like a simple question, no?

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:04 PM
pat.kane
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CPS yes, no?

My understanding is you no longer need to be a full time pro. Read the 1st hit on this search
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=&ie=UTF-8&q=cps%20eligibility%20site%3A.fredmiranda.com

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:08 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CPS yes, no?

Thanks Pat. I just finished reading all six pages. After which I'm sorry I posted the question.

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:30 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CPS yes, no?

Tim,
No problem for having asked a question particularly when you've searched. I've got several things I search for repeatedly but can't find answers to.

As you likely now know, "CPS" is really a measure of how much Canon gear you own (particularly of late vintage) and not a statement of professionalism. I am a professional, but live in a town so small that there is no way I could work full time at it. (Well, get paid for working full time. Lot's of folks want lots of pix for free

Since I do work as a reporter/photographer and consider myself first a photographer I pay for the Platinum service. I meet the gear requirements and generally if something breaks I need it ASAP so I write off the membership as cost of doing business. Even if you don't shoot for $$, CPS is still a good deal (Gold at least). I've found the CPS techs to be superb and have gotten a number of solutions from them. I recommend it to anyone with very much Canon gear.

Robert

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CPS yes, no?

Robert stated: I recommend it to anyone with very much Canon gear.

Ditto x5

I too shoot professionally....but it don't bring in enough to live off of.

Being Gold member for years, due to what it has saved me in trips for repairs, cleanings, etc

I'm at 88 points....hope someday to go Platinum (and not for lack of points)

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CPS yes, no?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input.

Hopefully this thread wont turn into the pissing match that Pat linked me to.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CPS yes, no?

You do not need to be a full time pro in the US to join CPS any longer. I highly recommend joining if you have any sort of repair coming up soon. It more than made up for itself when the IS on my 70-200 mk II ate itself earlier this year.

Aug 25, 2014 at 04:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CPS yes, no?

Stock Photography, a great catch all. I can't remember if there was a selection for that, so I just chose what I shoot most for stock.

Aug 25, 2014 at 06:16 AM
vyunaselh

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CPS yes, no?

a great catch like it!

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:09 AM
codyconway
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CPS yes, no?

Just to add to this so its fresh on the threads. I joined the CPS Platinum level back in November of last year. It has more than paid for itself with just cleaning coupons and free expedited service to and from the repair center. I have had my 1D Mk III completely repaired to new standings, I have shipped my 500 F4 IS L to get cleaned / firmware updated at no cost to myself other than the membership, heck the overnight shipping alone on that is over 150 each way from my saver account!!!

In summation, if you have the points, and are using your gear frequent enough that you have some break down, its worth it. Especially if you have the big whites that can be pricey to ship out. This is a fantastic solution, and I have been extremely happy for the most of their services for me. Nothing beats getting back from leading a tour in South America, and having my gear cleaned up and looking great within 5 days total time!

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM
ebiggs
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CPS yes, no?

I am a retired guy and I still am in CPS at the Gold level. Probably stay there for a while yet. I still shoot but only when I want to!

Aug 25, 2014 at 02:44 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CPS yes, no?

Tim Knutson wrote:
I'm wondering how strict Canon is on CPS eligibility, regarding the full time pro requirement. I've got the points, but I'm not a full time anything.

Going to need a shutter soon, and a 17-40 disassembled for cleaning. so, I'm guessing the 20% would be a win for me. As long as I don't have to swear on a bible, and cross my heart.

Anybody care to admit out loud?

They don't care, but the people like me think that it's pretty shady when people that aren't pros try to enjoy the pro coverage.

I haven't had a lapse in service yet, but I imagine that it will eventually happen.

The consensus is generally, if you can afford it and meet it, do it.

Aug 25, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CPS yes, no?

I'm just a hobbyist and only occasionally earn some money from print sales. I have not signed up for CPS mainly because I figure I would rarely ever need it. But my guess is that CPS may actually be subsidized by those hobbyists who pay for it and then don't use much of it. Same way Canon's pro gear development is subsidized by amateurs who stock up their closet with the finest gear and then take each lens out occasionally on a date. I don't think anybody should feel bad about joining CPS.

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:31 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CPS yes, no?

Join it.... Gold is a bargain at twice the price...... The cleanings alone are worth $100..... The gear lending program is downright generous... I just borrowed a 16-35 F4 IS and decided it was NOT worth the upgrade price over the 2.8 I already own..... That saved me $60 in a rental fee....

Platinum is worth it too if you need the extra bennies...

DO IT!

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:12 PM
kosin
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CPS yes, no?

If you are expecting the repair, CPS membership is worth the money.
As for the free cleanings, these cover just the outside cleaning of the lenses and basic tests. Something that you can do it at home. Dust inside the lens won't be cleaned unless you pay the labor cost, and this depends on the type of the lens…

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:15 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CPS yes, no?

I just signed up for CPS. I figure why not - it's free for Silver level. I easily quality for Platinum but perhaps I'll go for Gold level later.

Aug 28, 2014 at 06:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password