FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2014 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Lanny Mann

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Tyler Wirken's wedding PJ work is outstanding. But even more remarkable, is his ability to educate and inspire. I'd highly recommend tuning into his 3-day class on wedding photojournalism which starts tomorrow (Aug. 25th).

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/documentary-wedding-photography-capturing-reality-tyler-wirken

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:14 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

yep, this is gonna be something special indeed!

Aug 24, 2014 at 03:09 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Already RSVP'd! Very interested to hear Tyler.

Aug 24, 2014 at 04:07 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

The problem with CL is that they always spend a half-day on intros, and this course is no exception. Just get on with it.

Aug 25, 2014 at 06:11 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Geez, if you're going to teach classes, take a public speaking course and take some time to script something.

"I'm like, um, but um, it's like um, right, (talks to self) they're like, um, um, uh like um, right, yea, like, uh, I'm like, right, um, but um, it's like um, they're like, right, um, (talks to self) um, uh like right, um, yea, like, uh, I'm like, um, (talks to self) but um, right, it's like um, they're like, right, um, um, uh like um, yea, like, uh (talks to self)..."

Sorry. I tried. He's making me want to drive mails into my brain.

Aug 25, 2014 at 06:43 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

I listened to most of it today while doing a bunch of things in the office. I like his style of teaching/talking, laid back. He had some great stories to share. The one thing that I really found interesting and enjoyed was the final video where he interviewed a past client live and got really insightful feedback from her.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:08 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

I was a little shocked when he said he shoots 6-10K images on average at a wedding. He also talked about people on a forum saying he was a "spray and pray photographer" and I kind of agree. That's an insane amount of images to go through.

Edited on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:15 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

eSchwab wrote:
he said he shoots 6-10K images on average at a wedding

This is the guy people want to learn from?!?

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:32 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

eSchwab wrote:
I was a little shocked when he said he shoots 6-10K images on average at a wedding. He also talked about people on a forum saying he was a "spray and pray photographer" and I kind of agree. That's an insane amount of images to go through.

Shooting high volume does not mean 'spray and pray', you have to look at the content to evaluate. I think the man who started this thread shoots 10k on average and often more.

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

I watched it and those are great stories but if someone has to tell you the story for you to get the image - doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of PJ.

Doesn't the image need to stand on its own for it to be a good PJ image?

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:53 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

D. Diggler wrote:

at least we can look up his work

This is a tough crowd.

He's a respected photojournalist and I have no issue with how he 'talks'. I'm interested in learning from people like this.

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:29 AM
4honor
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Littleguy wrote:
I watched it and those are great stories but if someone has to tell you the story for you to get the image - doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of PJ.

This guy is actually a wedding photographer in my town, though I've never met him. I do work with his video team a few times though. But yeah, I kinda agree with you on the photos speak for themselves, shouldn't need 5-minutes explanation per photo...

Also, seems like a fun guy, but I am finding a hard time laughing at his jokes, so are his in studio audience...

Aug 26, 2014 at 09:41 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Littleguy wrote:

I do believe that PJ work does need some amount of verbal or written explanation in order to fully understand it. If you viewed photos of refugees from Iraq or Syria, without knowing the devastation being caused by ISIS, you wouldn't be able to fully understand the meaning behind the photo. Same with the recent bombing at the Boston Marathon. If you didn't read about what and where this happened, the images would be shocking, but you wouldn't be able to piece together the story behind the images. At times a PJ image can stand alone without explanation, but I believe it's rare.

On a wedding day the couple, family and friends are able to view images without the need for an explanation, because they were there and know the deep meaning behind the images captured. For us, viewing it from the outside, we need some explanation to fully understand what was happening at that moment.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

D. Diggler wrote:

Dude, thats how documentary photographers work. They see things, and shoot a lot of images, constantly moving around waiting for perfection. You can't see the nuances through the viewfinder, you have the basic archetypal framework in mind, then sorta hope for the best.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

I think I prefer Cliff Mautner style of PJ.

OK - so he is not pure PJ but I still prefer his style over Tyler's.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

D. Diggler wrote:

Just wait until Lanny Mann tells you how many frames he shoot a wedding! Or the Chrismans.

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

Sorry, I'm not getting anything from this guy... except what not to do. It's all beginner topic.

edit: lol he just admitted he shoots 6-10k because so much is oof.

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:03 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

MRomine wrote:
Shooting high volume does not mean 'spray and pray', you have to look at the content to evaluate. I think the man who started this thread shoots 10k on average and often more.

He just said: "That's why I shoot the crap out of them (shooting a lot of pics), praying something is in focus."

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:04 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

C'mon guys, you know that's not what he meant to say. There's a difference between 'spraying and praying' technique and what Tyler and many others do. When you need to nail a focus on a moment that happens just for a second or two, you shoot a lot because if you just shoot once and you're focus is off, the moment is gone.

FM is a tough crowd.

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:08 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tyler Wirken on Creative Live

It will never cease to amaze me how much people look for faults rather than value when others share their methodology. Just because it differs from yours doesn't make it less valid.

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:12 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.