Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon 70d Screen scratches

Ed Swift
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on the 70d's flip screen. I gave my girlfriend a new 70d yesterday for you birthday and she noticed just after lunch today that there is already a scratch on the screen. She's been very careful with it (mainly turned in unless reviewing photos or using liveview) so the only time this could have happened is in about 2 minutes of walking with the camera in her hand, thinktank strap dangling we think the the metal ring possibly bumped off it.

Previous cameras e.g. her 400d and my 1000d went for a long time with no damage and no protection.

I've not been able to find out what the screen is made from so hoping for some other users experiences here. Obviously a screen protector will be ordered asap!

Is the screen really that fragile?
Is there maybe a removable film we've missed like you normally get on LCD screens when new? (we can't see one)
edit; any suggestion on the best protector to get for these touch screens?

Thanks for any comments.
Ed

Aug 24, 2014 at 05:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

I have a 6 month 70D and the screen cover is scratch-free but I don't wear a neck strap and let scrape on my buttons or rodeo buckle! I've scratched a few LCD covers in the past and it was easy to change out the plastic cover and replace with a new one. You need a half hour, suction cup and a few small tools and it will be like new. I don't use stick-on protectors as they tend to muck up the view.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Screens now have non-replaceable covers BTW. The 70D is a touch screen to boot.

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:30 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Because all newer cameras no longer have replacable covers over the LCD screen, but have a bonded cover instead, I've reluctantly started using protectors. The price to replace a scratched up LCD is overly high.

The LCD's are tough, and difficult to scratch, but it happens.

I'm trying to find one for my G1X MK II, but I haven't found a glass one yet.

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Didn't realize Canon drifted away from the separate protective plate to an integrated LCD assembly. Guess I'll be living dangerously now. No UV filter, LCD protector or strap...

Aug 26, 2014 at 01:44 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Gochugogi wrote:
Didn't realize Canon drifted away from the separate protective plate to an integrated LCD assembly. Guess I'll be living dangerously now. No UV filter, LCD protector or strap...

Starting with the 7D, its been a few years now. I'm not sure if or when the Rebels started. 5D MK II did not have the bonded screen, so it was easy to replace the LCD cover. Not the case with 5D MK III.

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:48 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

scalesusa wrote:

Certainly not tough enough - the 5D3 top LCD scratches if you look at it wrong.

Aug 26, 2014 at 05:47 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Western shirt buttons, trophy belt buckles, facial piercings, brass zippers on bags and thumb rings are the enemies of LCD screens. Canon should upgrade to that new fangled Gorilla Snot glass covers.

Aug 26, 2014 at 06:49 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Thanks for all the replies they've been interesting.

scalesusa wrote

I wasn't expecting it to be as tough as my phones; I have an iphone and nexus 5 both of which have never had a screen protector on no issue but did expect better than this.

Paul Mo wrote:
Certainly not tough enough - the 5D3 top LCD scratches if you look at it wrong.

Got to agree with this, looks like the 70d is pretty fragile LCD wise.

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:19 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Gochugogi wrote:

Wow - living on the edge, ain't you??

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

herion wrote:
Wow - living on the edge, ain't you??

No flu shot or sunscreen, and I'm pretty sure there are GMOs in my beer...

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:20 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

I had a 5D2 for four years without any scratches on the screen. First weekend I had my 5D3 covering the X-Games and I had 10 scratches on the screen. Put on one of those screen protectors (invisible-shield) and haven't had any problems since. Also, it reduced the impact of nose sweat smearing across the screen on my actual ability to view the screen.

It was stupid design decision by canon to put an anti-reflective coating on the outer most component of the screen. AR coatings work by roughing up the surface of the glass and therefore, by design, they reduce the resilience of the glass to scratches.

Sep 01, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

I sent in the camera to Canon UK as the only place who could confirm if the screen is that fragile or if we got a bad one. Turn out even the techs have no idea.

I had to laugh when i got the repair quote though, they are charging it as 'Impact Damage' if I don't go through with the repair which makes it a no brainer to have repaired. Given how the camera has been treated (bar a bouncing strap) pretty much anyone who put a camera in a table has caused impact damage!

Sep 03, 2014 at 08:01 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Edited due to possible stupidity on part of users.

Edited on Sep 06, 2014 at 08:56 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Yep, it's really tough to hire good help these days. For minor repairs I try to do them myself or else my gear comes back with extra scuffs, scratches and service tech installed dust. Once I dully sent my 5D2 in for a "free" coupon cleaning and it returned with a new scratch and a twice as dirty CMOS.

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:48 PM
whumber
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

Ed Swift wrote:
So got the camera back and the screen is worse than before it was 'repaired'. Massive discoloured area bottom left plus about 4 others around the screen.

Really not impressed with Canon at all at the moment.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwyocSIIQAAwEz8.jpg

I would definitely send it back and have them fix it again under warranty, that's unacceptable.

Sep 05, 2014 at 07:59 PM
herion
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

After I read this, I went out and got a protective screen for the 70D

Sep 06, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

herion wrote:
After I read this, I went out and got a protective screen for the 70D

Glad our experience and others has forewarned you.

Sep 06, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Herb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 70d Screen scratches

I have had digital SLR since the first Cano D30, been all over the world with my gear and never had a problem until I went to Bryce Canyon with my 1Dx, handed the camera to my son to take up to the top as I was dragging my butt up and out of the lower canyon, only to find a big scratch across the screen.

I was heart broken. Sent it into Canon for the recall and has them take share of that as well. It is now my first camera with a protective screen over the display. I have to admit that it is quite un-noticeable......but an expensive lesson to learn.......

Sep 07, 2014 at 01:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password