Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

ever have a neighbor move in a decide the first thing to do is cut down the portion of a 200 year old forest that extends into their backyard and then cut down all the grand and glorious 200 year old trees in their main back, front and side years? And basically make it look like a thermonuclear war just took place next to your house and chop down the two trees that the warblers and vireos and such absolutely most loved during migration and the trees that helped wrap the adjacent properties into a paradise of old forest and grand lawn trees?

I feel sick to my stomach.

Still can't process.

Lived in paradise, now a nuclear weapon went off to one side.

just sick and numb all at the same time

why move to such a unique property from the city if you hate trees why?? there were a thousand other homes the same size that were already tree vacant so why outbid someone who loved the property and then pay thousand to have all the trees and forest cut and kill a unique property and destroy thing for all your neighbors too.

all that happens is city folk move out now and just chop everything to bits, anything taller than grass or concrete goes

if you hate the way it looks out here.... WHY MOVE OUT HERE AND THEN ON TOP TO THE WOODSIEST MOST RURAL OF ALL THE PROPERTIES OUT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stay in the city or move to a chopped over Levitown place if that is the look you like

all the poor birds

all the poor neighbors

all the loss of wonder and beauty

and they paid extra and overbid the people who were originally going to move in and treasure it

wasteland

gone

Edited on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:29 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:07 AM
rklee

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Bummer.

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:47 AM
can0nfan2379
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Agreed. If you want a sterile property -- buy it that way, don't cut down mature forest / trees, it's a sad state of affairs.

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:48 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Not to the same extent but our neighbors cut down every tree in their backyard...looks like a soccer field.....you move to the suburbs, backing up on a water reserve and then cut down every tree...that's what condo living is for...I thought there were laws against that but who wants to start a Hatfield-McCoy feud....sorry about you having to go through it and it absolutely ruining what had stood for many generations.
Eric

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:54 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Been there, planted fast growing trees, now I can't see the barren yard and the birds love mine...

It's a shame they don't like trees. Just hope they don't pave the yard, mine did that as well.

Morris

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:03 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

I know exactly how you feel. We have lived surrounded by woods for over 30 years. One side of my house will probably never be built on because the people on that side bought 3 lots and built in the middle. The lot on the other side has changed hands several times, but no one ever built there- until now. And these people cleared the entire lot up to the property line all the way around. I asked them why they cleared all the tree and they said they didn't want to take a chance on a tree falling on their house. It would take a giant redwood to reach their house now...

Ron

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:08 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

thanks

yeah it's a shame to hear that even just in this small community here so many others have been hit by such things

and I mean 180 year old trees, come on! at least move to house with the 40 year old trees if you must cut a tree (not that that's great). I mean even if they move tomorrow. It would take generations to see it as it used to be again .

my number #1 best spring and fall migration tree too (at least for looking, some parts were high for photography but who cares, the birds loved it and binoculars do the job) and such a grand, old, tall tree

if you are so afraid of trees what posses you to search around and find the propery with the single most and largest trees all over it and say ok I hate the look of this property, the me buy this one! ? and they even put in a last second overbid and paid more than market value and stole it from a couple who loved the trees on it!!!!! grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why do people look at a property that is not them and that they hate and buy that! when they could buy any number of the sort they like!

so upset our town doesnt yet have a century tree law yet

i know a few towns have passed laws against cutting down trees over like 50 or 100 years old in the region unless there was a 100% imminent direct threat

gah, and many were tall forest grown type trees, at 180 years old it was the beginnings of second growht old-growth, I mean not quite, but the very beginnings....

there aren't even a lot of 180 year old forest type trees left in the East

so depressed, feel numb and nauseous and just generally sick all at the same time

just yesterday i was getting my lenses and binocs ready for the great fall migration probably starting next weekend, I think i've seen something like 80 species in that tree

sorry that others have had stuff chopped down around them too

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

I hear you. It it the same as people taking big motor homes, generators, and their favourite loud music, and head to the beautiful rockies to enjoy their city life in a park. Your situation is 100 times worse than that. My condolences to you.

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:27 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Sorry! Must be devastating. Obvious, no respect for nature.

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:00 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

ugh couldn't even sleep, sick

and today they cleared out every other living thing higher than a blade of grass....

oh except for THE ONLY ROTTING AND DANGEROUS TREE ON THE ENTIRE PROPERTY

no words

just no words

they got the 200 year old Cornell U. long term independent bird tracking project tree I had been carrying out, 100% healthy

sick

and then the dude gets a leaf blower and for 20 straight minutes blows on a single few foot patch of lawn until it kicks up dust clouds after dust cloud, angry neighbor on the other side gets him to stop doing whatever the heck he was doing there

They moved into the property that had the single highest density of trees on it, literally in the entire region, only spend what must be like $10,000 to cut them all down (less the only one with serious and dangerous rot and in a position to take out cars) after overbidding $30,000 for the house and each of teh big trees they cut is reducing their property value by about 10k.

ANY other house they moved into they would not have had to destroy to this degree if they hate trees.

the back of their property connects to a nature preserve's section of two century old woods area

no words

feel like vomiting non-stop

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

and they are sitting around on the deck laughing and yelling in celebration at the top of their lungs

no words

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:31 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Related to Mr. T?

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:40 PM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Truly a pity that some people don't appreciate nature. I guess they don't realize that they're part of it.

Mike

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:09 PM
Doug C
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Sounds to me like war has been declared. Time to start planting quick growing trees on your side of the property line. And hedges. If they don't have animals, get pets and train them to poop over in their yard. Play loud music they don't like. Whatever it takes. They obviously have no concern for their neighbor's feelings, why should you?

I am only half kidding about the pets and music. Oh, and if you plant cherry trees, the birds will produce the most exquisitely nasty poop. Just be sure to plant the trees closer to their place than yours.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Somebody is just stuck on stupid!!! Seems to be the "new normal" in some places. Here in an agriculture county, the politicians can't wait to get that developer money and turn corn, wheat, soy bean, and orchards surrounding the Catoctin Mtns into settlements all under the guise of progress!
Sorry for OUR loss!
Dan

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:32 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

I'm extremely sorry to read your notes. When our new loud neighbour moved in last year from London I gave them a tour of the fantastic garden the old dear who had lived there spent her life cultivating. They proceeded to nuke the majority of trees and shrubs, many rare and uncommon, as well as a lovely old orchard section that the birds utilised heavily. Last week they called in a exterminator to kill a entire colony of honey bees swarming on the last remaining apple- I was beside myself. There are 2 bee keepers here in the village who would of gladly collected the queen/swarm for free.
If they want barren stay in the f'in city, the ignorant bast*rds.

On a brighter view one of the civilised things about living in Britain are TPOs [tree protection orders]. Many large older trees and in some cases entire woodland stands are protected with fines up to 20,000 British pounds [thats $34k in USD at today's exchange] for each tree if damaged or causing them harm. Our county has a TPO officer who must be called in to advise on anything related to their welfare including pruning.

We can only hope that by popularising nature via our images and deeds we can make a small difference by educating the masses. But at times it's certainly difficult to not be discouraged by mindless development, fracking, etc etc. Please know you aren't alone and you have my sympathy for what it's worth.
Phil

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:49 PM
timgriffin
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

I'm sorry to hear this sad story
Living in Florida I can understand your frustration and anger. It's at least a weekly occurrence here to drive someplace and see where they're leveling all of the trees and anything else to make new developments and strip malls. I always feel so sad for the animals that once lived there and wonder how long it can continue...

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:51 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

I totally get your "no words"... I've found in my 68 years on this plane that there are some minds that I just can't comprehend.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

My In Laws were the exceptions that proved the rule: we were exceptionally close.

They had this wonderful little house on a pretty lot chock full of beautiful Live Oaks. Majestic might have been coined in history, but in the tree department applies to memorable trees; one of which is the Florida Live Oak. It takes a century to grow one big enough to catch your eye.

A cousin of your Jersey guy bought the house next door which was graced with same Live Oak coverage. I'd guess 20.

The next day the first of tree people came ... and left. They wouldn't cut them down. Eventually they found an idiot who would. Worse --- our hopes that he would drop a tree on the house went unanswered.

I'm sorry to hear this and hope for your sake the second part of the story turns out better than it did for my In-Laws: the guy turned out to be exactly the ass you would suspect he would be.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:31 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · sigh (no nothing really, EDIT: photos added)

Yeah I feel your pain for all those others who have had bad experiences. So sorry to hear that. It's just horrifying what gets done these days.

At least in this region, prior to the latest 80s stuff like this just did not ever happen out here. I don't know if it is the new youngest gen brought up in a different way, with all programmed activities and not being let to run around in the woods and town all day for fear of predators and all sorts of other nonsense (although that could only explain some of it, as some of the destroyers are older than me) or if it's just the timing to where the cities decayed and then the near suburbs and now we are getting those who don't give about nature finally moving out here in droves, whereas in earlier times it seemed like it was only those who cared deeply about woods and nature who came this far out and it wasn't those just escaping the prices of the near nice NYC suburbs and the rot in the less nice near NYC suburbs and in the cities or what. I don't know it seems to me like barely any of those well older than me, like say the ones 60+ years old do or ever did this kinda of disasterous stuff. It seems the mid-20s to late 40s crowd is where most of the muck messers are, but then again that is the age most likely to move out here fresh, so it's maybe more just on the fact that it's people fleeing urban blight and crummy near suburbs and the prices of nice near suburbs instead of people moving out to the woods and country because they actually love the woods and country.

Gah and the closest tree to our property, only shy of safety by about 3 feet!!!!!!!!, that had the most migrant and summer bird far and away was the giant Northern Red Oak, my prize bird tree, the one that bowered in our property from the left the most, the Cornell Study tree, the one that was so far to the edge of the property it had zero, zero, zero impact on their extending their lawn out back....

I just noticed that a government site lists it as being among the single most resistant of all trees to windthrow! And windthrow fear is why they cut it down!

And this one already survived almost two hundred years of the typical western winds AND even the freak Sandy, the first hurricane to hit from this angle in perhaps 1000 years, and it had ZERO protection from the wind direction of Sandy and survived that without even blinking!) and they cut this one down solely for fear of windthrow!!!!!! morons!!!!!!

and the idiot tree service guy said it was critical to remove that tree since they cut down some others so it would no longer have protection, but the idiots cut down trees to the north-north east of this one but almost all of our winds come from the west or west north west!!! so not a single thing was changed about it's protection from the direction the winds come from (or even from the freak Sandy direction) and it is said to be among the single most resistant of all species to wind throw and they cut it down!!!!

Most remarkably, in that one single tree, I'd seen nearly 80 species of birds!!!!

And they and the squirrels beyond love it and the migrants! They spend 30 seconds in other trees and 20 minutes in this one!!

And it did not shade their back lawn (other than maybe for like 1-2 hours at most just after dawn, big deal), it shaded OUR lawn. The fools don't even know what direction the sun shines from!!!!!!!!

If I plant another, it would be at least 30 years until it was even a decent size and like 60 to be really serviceable, so basically I can't watch birds in it until a freaking olllllld man and it won't as it was until like three generations from now and even then not until that gen is very old.

idiots.

they just came in a wham bam cut so fast, I didn't even have time to beg or plead or explain things,

it's clear they had major misconceptions about which way the wind blows and waht species topple over most easily, all they saw it eh direction one Sandy tree blew, but that was thought to be the first time in at leat 500 and probably 800-1000 years we had such strong winds from that direction and that is the freaking direction of wind they were most afraid of!!

they jsut move in and WHAM, don't even give time to introduce themselves and allow for time to talk things over and discover things and learn about their new property and how things work here.

was just reading in this one book that this species is thought to host 500 different species of caterpillars and since it was almost 200 years old and one of the just about only such Northern Red Oaks that old here, for all I know it was what was harboring some of teh very unusual species of moths I've been finding, some that the experts are still struggling to even find a match for known species. It may have been a bit of an ark to help tied over some species from the original settlement cuts for all I know

and the jerks cut other stuff that put all the neighbors trees no with no wind break

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:31 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password