Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

JGalicki

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

nHi all! Was hoping for some desperately needed help. I recently upgraded from the 7D to the 1DX. I'm pairing the 1DX up with my 400mm f/4 DO lens for handheld shots...same as what I used for the 7D with great success. After a few thousand shots I’m noticing that most of my flight shots and shots in general are rather soft and blurry. Here are some typical examples:

http://jgalicki.smugmug.com/Bombay-a...k-DE/i-TXQtsLp
http://jgalicki.smugmug.com/Bombay-and-Prime-Hook-DE/i-mSWrWqt

I always shoot in Aperture Priority Mode normally at f/5.6….in some cases I had great light so I kept the ISO to 100 and also moved it to Auto as well to get a feel for how the ISOs are automatically generated per different conditions. With my 7D I never went above ISO 800 due to the noise generated, so getting a feel for what I can do with 1DX which will be much better I hope. After reviewing the information for most of my photos I thought found my problem….almost all shots (including flight and song birds) were generated at slow shutter speeds such as 1/250, 1/500 or 1/640. With my 7D at similar light and ISO settings, I was able to get 1/1000 and way above as generated through Aperture Priority mode for flight shots….this 1DX is obviously working very different. In order to compensate and stay in Aperture Priority mode, I've now bumped up the ISO to 800+ and set the minimum shutter speed to be 1/250 (highest possible setting) but still getting slow shutter and softness.

All that said, what would the forum recommend I do in order to get better/crisp shots of birds and birds in flight for the 1DX with Aperture Priority? I'd like to get at least 1/1600 for flight shots and certainly higher speeds for perched and preening songbirds. I realize I can directly control in TV or Manual, but being stuck to either mode isn't conducive for me with general bird photography in the field.

Thx in advance for any advice!

Josh

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:12 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Hi Josh,
Set the ISO to 2000 to 4000, depending upon the light and everything will be fine.
The files will look better than the 7D at ISO 400.
Hope this helps!

Conversely, go into TV mode and set it at 1/1600.

You don't need 1/1600 for songbirds that's just overkill!

BeeBalm

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:27 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

First of all, welcome to FM.

Don't be afraid to bump your ISO much higher than 800 to get faster SS, especially with the 1DX. The other option is to upgrade to the f2.8 version.
You may want to post this in the Canon forum as well.

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:36 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

I wrote this blog a while back. There are tips in there that can help with Micro adjustments if needed.

http://kentjarrett.com/birdsinflight/

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:08 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Josh,

You'll want to check your Custom Functions, specifically, C.Fn2: Exposure. Check to see the range of Tv allowed when operating in Av mode.

Screenshot of the relevant page from your user manual is attached.

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Josh
I am planning a trip to Bombay and I will PM you when the date is definite.
I will have the 2.8 on the X.
Push the iso.
DC last weekend - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1312661/0#12525667
Bombay last year - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1244078/0#11835673
Welcome to FM

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JGalicki

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Hey All...thx very much for your help and feedback. Going to shoot at a much higher ISO range as suggested here and I've also changed my shutter range for Av. Can't wait to check out the new results.

Psychic1....sounds good and great pics!

Josh

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:29 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Josh,
I would suggest you ditch AV mode and learn to shoot in Manual mode.
IMO you will have much better results and complete control over your ISO, DOF and Shutter Speed.

-Tim

Aug 24, 2014 at 03:24 AM
jfwoodman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

tfoltz wrote:
Josh,
I would suggest you ditch AV mode and learn to shoot in Manual mode.
IMO you will have much better results and complete control over your ISO, DOF and Shutter Speed.

-Tim

Ditto - it took me a while to get used to it, and you'll miss some shots as you do, but I pretty much shoot Manual as my default approach. Also agree with others regarding pushing ISO to keep up your shutter speed, I don't hesitate to shoot above ISO 1000.
Good luck, and keep on shooting

Jim

Aug 25, 2014 at 03:47 AM
JGalicki

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Thanks allot for the additional help and advice here. I was also told to mind the DOF in a full frame sensor as it is much shallower than a 1.6 crop. In going through my photos I've noticed that plenty of shots have the bird's body in focus but the head/eye are soft and vice versa. The shallow DOF and my focus point probably have allot to do with this. I've been shooting with the 400mm DO at either f/4 or f/5.6...in a good deal of cases with a 1.4 converter at f/5.6 for some additional reach. I'll start stopping down ( f/8, f/9 ) to see what better results I can get.

I went out shooting yesterday and got some better results than before, thanks mainly to the advice above. I kept the camera in Av with ISO on auto (set range from 100 to 6400). Also went into the custom function settings and was able to set my minimum shutter speed at 1000 and the max at 4000. This allowed for higher shutter speeds which then drove the ISO accordingly based on my aperture which was either f/4 or f/5.6. I later set the minimum to 500 but some flight shots were then being generated at less than 1000 and not fast enough. The min and max settings for shutter are very broad and appears you can't be specific (i.e. 1600 and up for flight).

I agree with tfoltz and jfwoodman that using manual gives the most control and will ultimately yield better results. My main reasoning for using Av is less response time needed when an opportunity presents itself. If I'm hiking and I flush a bird by accident or a songbird perches near me I need to be ready to shoot quickly. Based on my experience, the Av mode works best in these cases but I could be wrong as I've been learning this all on my own. If you have any advice around what ISO and shutter speeds to use for the 1DX in varying or general types of circumstances for birds I'd be happy to try them out. With the 7D it was easy...I just wouldn't go above ISO 800 due to noise and the generated shutters speeds were always fast enough in Av. As for now, I'm not yet comfortable with the 1DX ISO ranges and what exact shutter speeds to manually set for different circumstances. For birds in flight I prefer 1600 and up...it's the perched/preening songbirds and foraging waders/shorebirds that would give me problems.

Thx again!!!

Aug 25, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Daniel19101910

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New 1DX User Issues..Need Help

Well I think that 1.6 crop also affect the DOF, so it turn to be a 1.6x5.6 = 9.0 aperture so that's why the eyes now look out of focus. So I guess you need to use a higher aperture number.

Aug 25, 2014 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password