Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

ArticShooter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

Hello fellow Sony users.
I just got the A7R just a month ago and now I need a good remote.
I mainly shoot landscape.
Nothing fancy like time lapse option ( I will use my 5DmkII for that)
I only need a regular cable release that can take one image and also hold the Bulb mode activated.

I came over these versions:
RM-L1AM
RM-VPR1 ( you can also start/stop video recording)

I need one that can be used with an L-brackett
Both these have a straight plug so I am not sure if they will fit?

Any suggestions and reviews?

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:54 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

Sony has a pretty good app which you can purchase and download onto your camera for time lapse stuff just FYI. It has quite a few good options there.

I am using a wireless IR remote instead which you can get fairly cheap online from third party manufacturers. It is not an intervalometer, and for Bulb exposures you need to measure the time yourself how long the shutter remains open. It is fine for what I need it for.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:14 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

If you can find one of these in Norway, it's pretty good and cheap (I used it with an L-plate on)

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Intervalometer-Photography-Multi-Terminal-DSC-RX100III/dp/B00LVS5GYU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1408827230&sr=8-13&keywords=a7+remote+shutter

or the simplest one (I don't have any experience with this):

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Multi-terminal-DSC-RX100M3-DSC-RX100M2-DSC-RX100III/dp/B00L7O2AGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408827230&sr=8-2&keywords=a7+remote+shutter

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:55 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

Generic intervalometer and a generic cable in action

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2014/07/wired-remote-for-sony-a7-cameras.html

just have to make sure the door can open with your bracket

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:11 PM
ArticShooter

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

retrofocus wrote:
Sony has a pretty good app which you can purchase and download onto your camera for time lapse stuff just FYI. It has quite a few good options there.

I am using a wireless IR remote instead which you can get fairly cheap online from third party manufacturers. It is not an intervalometer, and for Bulb exposures you need to measure the time yourself how long the shutter remains open. It is fine for what I need it for.

The problem with using a smartphone is the low temperature we can have here. My Iphone5 had the battery drained from 100% to shutdown in less time than you can say Sh*t
So that is only an option for the few summer months that we have. But I like the option that you can have with these apps.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:04 AM
ArticShooter

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

hiepphotog wrote:
If you can find one of these in Norway, it's pretty good and cheap (I used it with an L-plate on)

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Intervalometer-Photography-Multi-Terminal-DSC-RX100III/dp/B00LVS5GYU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1408827230&sr=8-13&keywords=a7+remote+shutter

or the simplest one (I don't have any experience with this):

http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Multi-terminal-DSC-RX100M3-DSC-RX100M2-DSC-RX100III/dp/B00L7O2AGA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408827230&sr=8-2&keywords=a7+remote+shutter

Thank you. I am not familiar with this name. But there are many brands out there that looks exactly the same. So I will look into it. Great to know that it will work with the L-plate

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:06 AM
ArticShooter

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Generic intervalometer and a generic cable in action

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2014/07/wired-remote-for-sony-a7-cameras.html

just have to make sure the door can open with your bracket

Thank you for this info

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:07 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

Well I'm still searching for one which works with an L bracket in vertical position. I've got one of the basic Pixel ones, shown earlier, on the way to test, but it will need to bend quite a bit soon after where it plugs in.
Hoping that Aputure get round to producing one with an angled plug, as they have with other models. They're usually inexpensive too.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

timballic wrote:
Well I'm still searching for one which works with an L bracket in vertical position. I've got one of the basic Pixel ones, shown earlier, on the way to test, but it will need to bend quite a bit soon after where it plugs in.
Hoping that Aputure get round to producing one with an angled plug, as they have with other models. They're usually inexpensive too.

Would this help?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Micro-SKN6258-Adapter-RAZR2/dp/B001EJHH20/ref=pd_sim_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HJZSF4JEA6ZXQB024AT

Aug 24, 2014 at 02:28 PM
bwana999

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

ArticShooter wrote:
RM-VPR1 ( you can also start/stop video recording)

Don't know about an L bracket interference but the remote works just great!

bwa

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

hiepphotog wrote:
Would this help?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Micro-SKN6258-Adapter-RAZR2/dp/B001EJHH20/ref=pd_sim_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HJZSF4JEA6ZXQB024AT

I hadn't realised that the Sony A7 Release was simply micro USB, if so, this could be the answer. Thanks

Aug 25, 2014 at 02:49 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

Just a heads-up. A micro USB connection doesn't guarantee that it'll work. I have a remote with micro USB that works great with my Fuji X-A1 but it's not possible to trigger A7's shutter with it (even if I activate Remote shooting in the menu), so now I have ordered one that specifically says that it works with A7.

Aug 25, 2014 at 03:20 AM
leetmode
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

If you don't mind using your phone (android or ios) or an ipod touch (what I use) to trigger the camera, this is the best solution:

http://triggertrap.com/products/triggertrap-mobile-kits/for-sony/

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:08 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

ArticShooter wrote:
The problem with using a smartphone is the low temperature we can have here. My Iphone5 had the battery drained from 100% to shutdown in less time than you can say Sh*t
So that is only an option for the few summer months that we have. But I like the option that you can have with these apps.

I rarely use my smartphone as remote - my point refered to an infrared-based generic small Li battery remote control. I find it easier and also more convenient to handle if needed at least for what I am doing.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:49 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

I have the RM-VPR1 and recommend it. Its hard to find but in my mind best. I have tried most of the other options and did not like them.

The problem with the infared remotes is the battery can fail and you have to be in the right spot - in front of the camera or with reflection for it to work. I gave that up. Standing in the lake in front of the camera is not a fun spot I think it consumes more power than manual with RM-VPR1 too.

The problem with the iphone app is that it consumes batteries on the iphone and a7r - turning wireless on uses batteries - and a7r is already a battery hog. If you plan to do this get the battery grip to last longer. I do this when its really cold from my car on occassion.

I have tried the sony app for interval meter and don't like it much because it locks out many options. You have to be running the app. I can't remember whether it permits aebracketing but I think not as well. But if you want interval it works for single shot is my recollection.[ No to AEB in app]

The only trouble with RM-VPR1 is that it connects through micro usb and its easy to bend if you are rough with it.

But I would buy the RM-VPR1 first and use it most. It does not interfere with L bracket because I have that on my metabones adapter to balance better with large lens.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM
ArticShooter

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

I got the Sony RM-L1AM and also the battery grip.
So now my L-bracket will not fit, oh well but at least I will have more battery time when the nights are getting colder.
The remote works great. A bit pricey but I survived
Now I am on the lookout for a great ultra wide angel with fast glas.
I got the Canon EF to NEX Metabone converter so I got some option.
I am considering the Zeiss 21/2.8 but also wider lenses

Sep 03, 2014 at 11:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

samyang 14mm.

Sep 03, 2014 at 11:52 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

ArticShooter wrote:
I got the Sony RM-L1AM and also the battery grip.
So now my L-bracket will not fit, oh well but at least I will have more battery time when the nights are getting colder.
The remote works great. A bit pricey but I survived
Now I am on the lookout for a great ultra wide angel with fast glas.
I got the Canon EF to NEX Metabone converter so I got some option.
I am considering the Zeiss 21/2.8 but also wider lenses

Check out the Canon TS 17mm, Voigtlander 21/1.8, Rokinon 14mm.

Here's an L bracket that works with the grip.
http://www.milich.com/sonya7plate.html

Sep 03, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Bluffer
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

+1 for the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower etc 14/2.8. If you get a good one, honestly you can't go wrong and it's the same price as a good night out in Blackpool.

Sep 03, 2014 at 04:55 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7R - What cable release to get?

timballic wrote:
I hadn't realised that the Sony A7 Release was simply micro USB, if so, this could be the answer. Thanks

The A7 series uses a special connection that looks like a micro USB, but it has extra contacts that need to be used and it's slightly longer. See this thread:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3684311

Sep 03, 2014 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.