New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

If I send my 7D and 70-200 f2.8 II lens to Canon for calibration, should I also send the 1.4TC if I use that combination a lot?

What is the charge these days for calibration?

In 2013 it was about $175.

Thanks...Alan

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

Is it not something you can iron out with MA.?

Part of me thinks if the problem is calibrated out by canon then the result should allow the TC Combo to MA easily

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:19 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

I have microadjusted many times following Dot Tune. I have also manually selected adjustments and picked what I thought was best. For a $2500 lens that is supposed to be as sharp as the best lens out there, just have not seen it.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

ahender wrote:
I have microadjusted many times following Dot Tune. I have also manually selected adjustments and picked what I thought was best. For a $2500 lens that is supposed to be as sharp as the best lens out there, just have not seen it.

Can you get it sharp in live view ? If you can't get it sharp in that (and most I've seen and the one I tested could scratch your monitor ) then its not focus calibration that's the issue .

How old is the lens? Was it purchased new? Maybe it could do with a canon checkup under warranty?

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:29 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Can you get it sharp in live view ? If you can't get it sharp in that (and most I've seen and the one I tested could scratch your monitor ) then its not focus calibration that's the issue .

How old is the lens? Was it purchased new? Maybe it could do with a canon checkup under warranty?

In live view, the focus was no different than autofocus. My 59 year old eyes could not see a difference. It's still under warranty.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:29 AM
myron lee
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

The 70-200ii should be among the sharpest of canon lens. On the LCD screen, if you 10x zoom, the image should be still darn sharp with good detail. Shoot a few photos in live view, and if the sharpness does not amaze you, you need to have it serviced.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:39 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

ahender wrote:
In live view, the focus was no different than autofocus. My 59 year old eyes could not see a difference. It's still under warranty.

Send the lens in with examples of the poor photos or a good description of the issue and the camera body you are using.

Canon will test the lens to see if it meets specifications, and test it on a standard body. That is the only way to get it repaired if AFMA does not correct it.

If it comes back, and if the image is sharp on one edge and bad on the opposite, it could be a lens mount issue on the body, but that is rare. Don't be afraid to send the lens back again if its not fixed.

Aug 25, 2014 at 03:53 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

I wouldn't send the extender in. All Canon will say is that you should expect some degradation in image quality using the extnder.

Canon will set the 7D to factory specs as well as the lens if this is required. Canon might charge the flat rate service charge for the 7D and the flat rate charge for the lens. It might be time to consider joining CPS to take advantage of the CPS service discounts.

Aug 25, 2014 at 04:36 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

Have you tried the lens on a different body? That should help narrow the possibilities ~ Ron

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:01 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Factory Lens/Camera Calibration Question

It's still under warranty.
-----------------------------------
I would send just the lens and the charge should be zero under warranty. When it comes back I would run everything through FoCal Pro. If you are not 100% happy then I would send in the other items as needed. Very often they will have a note with the lens telling you to send the lens in with the body if everything is not perfect.

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.