FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · New football schedule poster

BillyHurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New football schedule poster

Hey guys,
Just wanted to take a second to show you all my newest schedule poster. I had to do this one in a rush, so I called my buddy Chris Pasatieri (CMP Designz) and told him my situation, sent him a few ideas via e-mail and I took the photos one afternoon after practice and did the cutouts that night. When I woke up the next morning, Chris had delivered the poster background to my inbox! I just dropped the photos in, changed the text and schedule area, applied effects and it was completed in 2 days! The school was impressed with not only the look of the poster, but the speed in which we were able to get it turned around for them. I cannot say enough great things about Chris and his work. If you are looking for great poster templates for action posters, or you want him to design something custom for you just give him a shout...you won't be disappointed.

Billy-

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New football schedule poster

Great looking poster, I like it
Paul

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM
jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New football schedule poster

Nice....recommendation noted!!!

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:34 PM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New football schedule poster

That schedule is really cool! I like it alot!

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:45 PM
speakit101
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New football schedule poster

Love it..

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:46 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New football schedule poster

It looks good Billy. Nice work.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New football schedule poster

Sweeeeeeet

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New football schedule poster

Looks great!

Aug 24, 2014 at 01:11 PM
scottiet
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New football schedule poster

Awesome!

Aug 24, 2014 at 04:08 PM
manhattan

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New football schedule poster

Quality work indeed. Can I ask how how you get such clean cutouts?

Aug 24, 2014 at 04:21 PM
michaelmc

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New football schedule poster

impressive

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:13 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New football schedule poster

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone. I am doing another quick turnaround this week and Chris is helping with the background design as well.
Manhattan, my cutouts are done using magnetic lasso and quick mask and I use a Wacom tablet.

Billy-

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:30 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New football schedule poster

Put me on the "Chris is a great guy" list.

Last fall I had some parents asking for posters, I emailed Chris as his website for the templates was down at the timer and he sent me the templates via web upload, I wired him the money and everything went well.

The templates are easy to use and look great!!!

Nice schedule poster too Billy!

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:28 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New football schedule poster

Really amazing stuff - my only regret is just now discovering this with the season starting this Friday. Definitely on my list of things to do for next year.

Do you sell these at the games or to the fans? Just curious what they cost to make vs. what they are being sold for to see what I would be getting into if I produced these.

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:30 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New football schedule poster

Top shelf Billy!

And a big thanks to Chris from our family as well, for the fine shots of our son in NY... very thoughtful.

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:40 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New football schedule poster

Trevor, glad to hear Chris was able to hook you up as well.

Skullcrusher, there are a few different ways to approach it and you really have to decide which is better for you. Most schools in my area (and probably most areas) are broke and cannot finance something like this without going through the hassle of a separate fundraising event to raise the money to make this happen. I don't do this for free...I don't do this for exposure. I am in business to make money. Time is money and the materials cost money as well, so here's a couple ways you can approach it. There are several different places who will print these posters in either 11x17 or 13x19 one-sided posters on 80-100 lb glossy stock. If you print 100 they will cost a little over $1.00 each, 250 will be about .75 cents each and 500 will run you about .50 cents each. Remember, this is just the cost of the poster, you still need to cover your time for the shoot and design time.

1. I offer my school either the 250 or 500 qty. option for a set price that includes my time to create the photos and design the product. They can either pay this fee out of their athletic funds and give them away at games, or some even sell them for a few bucks each and use it as a fundraiser for the booster club.

2. Sponsors: Some schools have no problem getting a handful of sponsors to pay for the posters and we will gladly put their logo or information on the poster. Some schools do not want sponsors on their poster so you go back to option number 1. Next year, I am going to create a list of local sponsors who would be interested in supporting local sports so that I can do more of these and even possibly more sports because it's a lot easier to get a school on board if you tell them it will not cost them anything because you already have the local sponsors lined up.

3. Direct sales: I do not personally do my posters this way, but there is another guy in the next county over who deals with one school and he does a lot of their sports posters and only prints a handful to sell directly to the parents of the kids in the poster. He sells these in like 18x24 prints and sells them for around $70 each. If he has 6-8 seniors in the poster and they all buy, he is making around $500 (minus costs) but there again, the school is not out any money to do these posters.

If anyone else knows of any other ways to approach doing these kind of posters with high schools in your area, by all means, please share your ideas with us.

Tom D, I am glad Chris was at the series in NY when your son made his MLB debut and provided you with memories that will last a lifetime.

Billy-

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM
JimBowman
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New football schedule poster

Billy:

Thanks very much for all this information it is incredibly helpful! I am still in that boat where I feel a bit guilty about charging people for stuff like this while at the same time I feel equal guilt about what I feel are substandard pricing on photographs I take during games that may be undercutting others performing the same service.

I am definitely going to explore doing these for next year and I am sure the football program could find a sponsor to cover the costs while adding their logos for advertising.

There really are a ton of different angles to making money doing what we love doing. I just need to get in the boat with everyone else and start charging what I should be charging to pay for all the gear and time I spend doing this thing. The posters really do look amazing and I sincerely appreciate the insight into how I would go about doing this for the school here.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New football schedule poster

Nice job Billy! Cool poster.

Tim

Aug 25, 2014 at 02:30 PM
ENPPhotography

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New football schedule poster

AWESOME!!!!

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:40 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New football schedule poster

Yup... this is fantastic.

Aug 27, 2014 at 08:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.