Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · More mirrorless talking !!!

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Well, I am just considering the Fuji X-pro1 along with the 23r 1.4 wich would give ma a 35 mm !!!

A friend of mine showed me some stuff and I quite liked it plus a few hours on google made me feel like buying this set up !!,

Any comments !!,

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:45 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I have a Fuji XT1, very fun camera and I have love using it for personal work.

Used the Xpro for a week. Fun and good looking camera.

I wouldn't use it for paid gigs but quite a few on here do I believe.

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:58 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I have no experience with Fuji cameras, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top mirrorless cameras. I just happend to settle on the Olympus side of things. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy shooting again!

Aug 23, 2014 at 07:00 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More mirrorless talking !!!

AF is slow. Image review is slow. The frame lines are.....not very accurate. The EVF is laggy and low resolution. Top shutter speed of 1/4000, low iso of 200, and f/1.4 lens makes it hard to use wide open in the sun.

But it's small, light, good image quality (at least for non landscape stuff), and the Fuji X lenses are very good.

There's a ton on info in the Alt forum here.

Aug 23, 2014 at 07:35 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I have found mirrorless to be too slow in operation for a wedding. I write this having used the Olympus OMD, Fuji x100, and currently the Sony RX1.

Aug 23, 2014 at 07:50 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I don't have an electronic viewfinder mirrorless camera but I've been wanting to grab one for awhile now when I can spare the expense. The X-Pro1 seems really nice and the price just got lower in the new and used market. But even still I think I may end up with an Olympus e-m1 because of its internal image stabilization. The way I see myself using a mirrorless is just for telephoto and the IS feature alone makes it seem like it would just be more practical for me as a secondary camera.

I know the huge benefit of the mirrorless cameras is their lightweight package so people are more apt to bring a camera with them instead of a huge DSLR or just a phone, but I've never had an issue toting along my working camera. What I do have an issue with is that I don't have any long lenses for my working camera and the only solution to that is a DSLR which is heavy with a fast telephoto attached. So a mirrorless with built in IS paired with a fast telephoto where depth of field is already extremely thin seems to be the solution to my problem.

Aug 23, 2014 at 07:56 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Wait 2 or 3 more years. We're getting close, but not there yet.

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:02 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not impressed yet for pro work, but we are getting very close. I think we'll see something worthy within 18 months.

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:08 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I have played with my dads Xpro-1 and X100. The primes are cool.
The zooms are really lacking.
But i hear there is a f2.8 wide-medium on the road map.

I have a fellow local shooter who has the XT1. Viewfinder is nice.
I played a little with it at an outdoor-late afternoon-plenty of sun-reception.
I would still have to get use to the settings. Moving the AF points around is cumbersome. But this could be me.

Speed of functionality/response will need to pick up.
OCF trigger is no problem - but putting a large flash to bounce will be awkward at best.
I am not sure of low light capability.

I am with Tony and Amoline ... couple more years.
+ add a little full frame. (wish)

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Thank u all for the answers !!!
well, maybe it is then a good option for those controlled and slow situations when there is plenty of time at the moment and for the next couple of years and certainly it is now a good emergency third camera on the chest when my Holdfast moneymaker arrives next week !!!

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I just bought an XT-1 as a walk around camera and I used it at my last wedding. Its great for posed stuff, details, anything pretty static. I didnt try it too much for really important shots but I did find the AF when tracking something moving just isnt good enough. The IQ is pretty darn good and the AF in situations other than moving objects is wonderful!
I am going to play around with it some more and see if I can dial it in more for wedding work, but for now its a pretty fun little camera.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More mirrorless talking !!!

canerino wrote:
I have found mirrorless to be too slow in operation for a wedding. I write this having used the Olympus OMD, Fuji x100, and currently the Sony RX1.

To be fair Chuck those are not exactly top of the line mirroless models or even the latest offerings. Unless you are talking about the OM-D EM-1 but if you a re talking about the EM-10 or EM-5 they are less in image quality and ISO performance to the EM-1. If you are going to say that the technology is not there yet then be fair and talk about the best out there.

For example, since the Fuji x100 was released, there are now the x100s and even better the X-T1 and everyone that I have talked with who has shot with all three say that the X-Ti is far superior to either the x100 and x100s in both focus speed and IQ.

Same with the Sony.

I don't know of anyone who is shooting an entire wedding with any of the three cameras that you have mentioned. I'm sure that some have done it or have tried to do it.

But there are lots of shooters successfully shooting entire weddings with these cameras. OM-D EM-1, Sony a7, a7r and a7s, Panasonic GH4. Are they prefect? No. But there are some things that they better than DSLRs and some things not as well. Some mirrorless bodies focus faster and more accurately than any of the DSLRs, some have better hi-ISO. The top mirrorless bodies have incredible EVF that make wedding shooting an absolute joy. They are all either total silent or near silent shutters.

Drawbacks, none of them are dual cards, some of them have pitiful flash systems, some do not have good lens selections yet, namely the Sony. All of them have IQ that is as good as the Nikon D3 or D700 most are better.

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:11 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · More mirrorless talking !!!

There are more and more shooters making the switch including several on this board that are excellent shooters. "Flash" Gordon from Australia, he is very knowledgable on the subject.

Just saw this from this past week: Meet 22 wedding photographers who have gone mirror less: http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2014/08/15/meet-these-22-wedding-photographers-whove-gone-mirrorless/

Here is a nice discussion about the the OM-d EM-1 vs X-T1: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1306635/0

Also the X-T1 vs the Sony A7: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1309018/0#12492639

and: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1270485/0

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:33 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Here is a balanced/fair review of the X-T1 from a forum member, well written: http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/2014/05/fuji-x-t1-for-wedding-photographers/

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:45 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Not sure I'd use my x-t1 for weddings, at least everything at a wedding. We're getting there but on the whole a dslr still is the better package. But for my personal use - just love it

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:06 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · More mirrorless talking !!!

had the Fuji x-t1 for a few days but send it back. No improvement over the A7, but some worse. F.e. who concepts a batterie grip which holds one battery, to change the second battery you have to unscrew the grip (shaking head...).

Anyway, used two A7 for several weddings but came to the conclusion that it is not fast enough in some situations. Especially in low light or in dynamic situations AF is inferior to DSLR.

On the other hand, in some situations I feel the Sony is vastly superior to DSLRs, e.g. shooting the couple in extreme light etc. (controlled flare, rim-lights etc is so much easier).

I combine two Sony with a DSLR and 35mm right now.

Would also state that you canīt go wrong with one of the top mirrorless at the moment...

heiko

Aug 23, 2014 at 05:32 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Mirrorless has come a long way since the XPro1. It's a really nice camera. The lenses are stunning, if you're a prime shooter. The files are great, especially at high ISO, Xtrans arguments aside. But it's an AF camera with a first gen CAF autofocus system. MF overide is sos so. Give it good light and it's great. In a dim reception?

The XT-1 has all the good stuff of the XPro1 but with a significantly better AF system. It'll still have some issues in some receptions but the manual focus system is really well implemented. Fuji still doesn't have a decent TTL flash, if that's important.

The best mirrorless AF system is the Sony A7S. I'm playing with one as a test to go with my A7's and it's exceptional in low light. And it's completely silent if you want. Compared to my shooting partners 1dmk4, I reckon my money is on the Sony in low light.

I think the A7S is the camera that will really change the game for mirrorless. And the Sony FE lenses are fabulous on it. Just need the wide and the macro to arrive. For now I'm using adapted lenses with no real issues.

Having said that, yesterday I left my Sonys at home and shot the whole day on a single M240. Best reception focus I've used. :-)

Gordon

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:14 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · More mirrorless talking !!!

I got me a X-t1 with the 35 1.4 today and after being playing around with it in very different situations in the Big City (Madrid - Spain, in case some one doesnt know yet where it is ), I find it is a very capable electronic for weddings, I have to check out the material in the computer though I am expection nothing wrong !!

JAIME RASO

Aug 24, 2014 at 09:00 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · More mirrorless talking !!!

Well, having a pizza in a place full of neon lights the electronic viewfinder and the back screen when being the viewfinder got movig parallel banding movin backwards like the old TVs !!! as soon as I got out to the street and turned off and on it got back to normal !!
I will tell my brides not to go to venues with nein lights !!! 😄😄😄

Aug 24, 2014 at 03:28 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · More mirrorless talking !!!

the camera !!!

http://www.jmraso.com/clientes/fuji.jpg

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.