Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

5D3 AF case help

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 AF case help

Ok I'm off to the British moto GP round d next week .
Have been a couple of times before and pretty much know where I'm going to get the best shots from . I'll be moving around the circuit thru the 3 days and viewing from the stands at most corners (going with my dad so seating at each point is needed) but I know a few corners where I will get down to track level for the better shots .

As I say I've been before but not with a 5D3 and its more advanced AF system . (Used a 7D before) . 90% of the shots will be head on (bike leaned over at the apex stuff)
Question is what will be the best AF CASE to use (I assume its the 'things coming toward you ' one) and what changes to that case would you recommend . I don't have camera with me but I think you can change the parameters within the case can't you ?

The lens will be a sigma 120-300 OS (non s) with a 2x TC on it . It's not the fastest AF lens around but no slouch either (id rate it faster than the 100-400 ) and only seems to get into trouble if it decides to hunt (in the little testing I've done the 2x doesn't seem to slow things down much )

I'll probably be using a single point with surrounding assists (although I'm open to opinions on this also )

Thanks in advance

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:26 AM
ggOk
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 AF case help

lucky you.. can you take me with you next year?
it'll be my dream to goto MotoGP with my gear...

/r
Andy

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 AF case help

ggOk wrote:
lucky you.. can you take me with you next year?
it'll be my dream to goto MotoGP with my gear...

/r
Andy

I would love to , but there is some doubt as to the location or indeed at this point if there will be a British round next year . A circuit that doesn't even exist at the moment has been give the contract for the 5-10 years

Anyway you have 2 of your own to choose from . Indy and COTA (Texas) . If I could pick a round to go to in the world I think COTA would be on my list

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 AF case help

Ian,

I've shot Indy MotoGP using the 1D-X using Case 4 only because I usually shoot soccer and the body is dialed in for that venue, and I forgot to tweak it a bit It worked fine for me.
Yes, you can individually change the settings within the case. Mine is set with Track Sens -1, Accel/Decel +1, AF pt 0.

Regardless of case #/setting, it still comes down to staying on target with the selected focal point which sounds easier than it really is

Good luck and show us what you get!

Matt

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 AF case help

schlotz wrote:
Ian,

I've shot Indy MotoGP using the 1D-X using Case 4 only because I usually shoot soccer and the body is dialed in for that venue, and I forgot to tweak it a bit It worked fine for me.
Yes, you can individually change the settings within the case. Mine is set with Track Sens -1, Accel/Decel +1, AF pt 0.

Regardless of case #/setting, it still comes down to staying on target with the selected focal point which sounds easier than it really is

Good luck and show us what you get!

Matt

Thanks for that .
I've been reading the manual (I finaly managed to download it to my iPad over a very slow wifi )
Still mulling over the options . I've only ever used case 1 I tweaked so far , but nothing for fast bikes/cars (not been a able to get to anything else this year)

The good thing I guess is I've got a few shots at getting it right as I'm attending for all 3 days and will be shooting all the practice qualifying and warm up but if last year is anything to go by I won't shoot the races as I'd rather be watching the action (last years race was a classic) .

Of course I'll post some results

By the way , how did you find the Indy race . It looked better than previous years but I still don't think the venue lends itself to bikes .

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 AF case help

Haven't shot a great deal of Moto so nothing really to compare Indy to.

Aug 23, 2014 at 07:22 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D3 AF case help

I use case 5 with solid results.
These are a local track day shooting and in a long slightly down hill turn.
I too use center point with expansion assist.

onesickpuppy 2014

Turn 2

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    280mm    f/4.5    1/400s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

onesickpuppy 2014

Leaning

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    222mm    f/5.6    1/500s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Aug 24, 2014 at 04:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D3 AF case help

onesickpuppy wrote:
I use case 5 with solid results.
These are a local track day shooting and in a long slightly down hill turn.
I too use center point with expansion assist.

Thanks I'll give it a go .

by the way you want to tell the guy 'leaning' to get some proper lean into it

IMG_4853.jpg by dobbie99, on Flickr

IMG_6087.jpg by dobbie99, on Flickr

Aug 26, 2014 at 02:56 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D3 AF case help

I played around with different cases (while shooting BIF - bird, bee and butterflies in flight) and they don't seem to make a difference. They all work equally well . I got to the point to just set it on the default case and forget about it.

Aug 26, 2014 at 03:31 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D3 AF case help

diverhank wrote:
I played around with different cases (while shooting BIF - bird, bee and butterflies in flight) and they don't seem to make a difference. They all work equally well . I got to the point to just set it on the default case and forget about it.

cool , I must say Ive not had an issue with the 5D3 af yet . although as I said its not been pointed at fast bikes or cars yet .
I did struggle with birds at a local birds of prey centre flying very close over head though , but I put that down more to the 80-200L's not great servo af performance over the 5D3

Aug 26, 2014 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password