New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

Quick question for you guys using Extreme Pro 160Mb/s CF cards....what transfer rates are you getting to your computer?

Using this card reader, USB 3.0, UDMA 7, etc. etc:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815153-REG/Transcend_TS_RDF8K_USB_3_0_Multi_Card.html

The most I can get is 35-40 MB/s transfer in a USB 3.0 port. My D810 can write to the card extremely fast though, when the buffer is full, it still shoots around 2FPS (estimated), so I don't believe there is anything wrong with the card itself.

Using an Extreme Pro 95 MB/s SD card, the same reader in the same USB port transfers at a solid 90-95MB/s all day long, so the issue is not the USB port.

Just curious if maybe I got a defective CF portion of the card reader? Not a big deal at all, just thought I'd ask.

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

I'm not familiar with that reader, but are you sure it supports UDMA 7? Some older readers don't, though they may be upgradable via firmware. The Lexar USB 3.0 readers (CF/SD or the modular CF) have worked well for me.

EBH

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:36 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

I suspect this is your reader. I agree the Lexar reader is great.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:33 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

I also think it's the reader, but the one I have is supposed to do UDMA 7. I don't really care, it was $15 haha, but I was just curious if it was defective or not. I'm guessing it is.

According to the specs it does UDMA 7, and the model # is the same one currently sold. The reviews on B&H are off the charts positive as well.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll try another reader most likely.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:48 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

With my Lexar card reader in a USB 3.0 port, I get about 100-110Mb/s transfer from my Sandisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160Mb/s card. However, it can start out as fast as 140Mb/s and then slow down.

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:13 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

What card reader exactly are you guys using? Maybe I'll just try a new one. The Sandisk one is $110 and I'm not paying that for a $0.50 card reader haha.

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

Hmmm...I use the same Transcend USB3 card reader.
I tested new 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MBs CF cards, started with 130-140MBs, then quickly slowed to 25-60MBs fluctuated badly. Not just one CF card, but several did the same. I think it's the card reader, %$$#

I suppose you get what you paid for!

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

Then again, I just ran read/write test with Sony H series(160MBs) 32GB XQD card with Sony reader.

Read started @120MBs for about 5-6 seconds, then dropped down to 30-60MBs, Write speed was sort of opposite, started slow @15-30MBs for 3-4 sec, the up to the same 30-60MBs.

I did this on my newer PC notebook equipped with i7-4700HQ Haswell CPU.

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

CanadaMark wrote:
What card reader exactly are you guys using? Maybe I'll just try a new one. The Sandisk one is $110 and I'm not paying that for a $0.50 card reader haha.

I don't have any UDMA 7 SanDisk cards to test, but the Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader and Lexar Professional Workflow CFR1 Card Reader both are properly fast with the Lexar 1066x cards.

EBH

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sandisk Extreme Pro CF transfer speed

i have that reader for my laptop and get 120MB/s+ xfrs. there are a lot of variables. in the chain that will affect said speed via ports.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.