New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

CoCaDoRi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

Looking for good rain gear for the D800 and D610 bodies. I shoot mostly wildlife so it'll needto be able to stand up to some abuse.

Suggestions?

Aug 22, 2014 at 05:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I prefer LensCoat RainCoat, but others prefer ThinkTank Hydrophobia or even AquaTech. I gave up on the ThinkTank as it is slow to use. If you are planning to be exposed for lengthy periods in heavy rains and have time to set up, it is a good choice. The LensCoat RainCoat is enough protection for me and quick to attach and remove.

EBH

Aug 22, 2014 at 06:29 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I have the KATA rain-coat. Very well made, but you may want to practice putting it on so that you can do it very quickly if you ever need to.

I have had mine for a number of years but have only used it a very few times when I have been caught in a really tropical thunder-burst.

Mostly, the D3S bodies which I use are so well weather-sealed that I don't worry too much if they get slightly damp but I will probably use the KATA cover when I photograph a truly massive waterfall in a week or two because those things drench you with their spray and mist in just a few minutes.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:07 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

For rain gear I use a plastic bag from my grocery store. Maybe you want something more 'professional' looking. But it gets the job done and it's free.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:40 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I use a hefty bag. Poke a hole in the bottom for the lens, use a rubber band to hold it on... cheap, lightweight, packs easily, effective.

Of course, I don't look "cool" using it, but I am well past caring about that.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

Saran Wrap.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM
CoCaDoRi
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

Good stuff.. I'm a fan of simple and effective!

Aug 23, 2014 at 06:54 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

It also depends on the size and complexity of the camera and any attachments which you need to use with it.

Regular plastic bags are fine for straight-forward snapshot-style shooting but for extended shoots with Pro-level gear you may need something more rugged than that.

The Kata camera-covers include sleeves (through which the photographer can put his hands in order to operate all of the camera controls inside the cover); has ports for lens and tripod; and is large enough to enclose one of the larger Speedlights and the bigger zoom or long Fl lenses.

There are two places on many cameras where water is most likely to penetrate and which need particular care: the Battery chamber and the Card-slots. The LCD is often not sealed too well on some of the cheaper camera bodies also.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I have a Lenscoat and Thinktank Hydrophobia and love the Hydrophobia. I think it's easy to set up and is great protection,

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I have the Think Tank Hydrophobia. I use it with a D700 and 600 f4 lens primarily for wildlife photography. I could not be happier with it.

It does take a little bit to set up. I put it on before I leave home and take it off after I return home.

I keep it rolled up around the lens (it is designed for this) until it starts to precipitate. Once that happens, I can quickly and easily deploy it to cover the lens and camera.

I have used it for hours at a time in the rain, snow, and wind. It does a great job.

I highly recommend it, especially for wildlife photography.

Steve

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I don’t understand why people who spend thousands of dollars on camera gear want to use plastic bags to try to protect their equipment. Get Think Tank Hydrophobia or AquaTech covers . . . small price to pay for good protection.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:16 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I can't resist not answering this question.
If a free and simple plastic bag will get the job done, I can't see why we need to throw away our hard earned money for something that we don't need.
If one is not enough we can add 2 over it.
If one needs a bigger one we can do just that.
The best thing is that we can use a new one everytime so that we don't have to reuse them, even the best and well tested condoms in the market do leak over time.
This is where the difference come between a successful business man and one that is not. Those who are successful will invest their money wisely and continue to buy new gears, while those who were not will continue to use old gears and dreams about getting new ones.
Here I am not saying those companies that develops this as stupid but rather smart because they are aware of the weaknesses of photographers who will go all out to protect their gears.

Aug 24, 2014 at 03:35 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

As a wildlife photographer my subjects usually take cover in heavy downpours leaving little to shoot. But in light rain Saran Wrap [Cling Film for Brits] around the body, another length around the lens and one between the two allows me to see and manually operate all controls on both the body as well as manual focus the lens. Very inexpensive and renewable. In heavier rain a good sized golf or fishing umbrella is useful depending on wind conditions. It's easy enough to employ a magic arm or fabricate a jig to hold it for your tripod - large rubber bands will work in a pinch. It works great because the operator is rain free. We always have large clear plastic bags to hand to fully cover the gear and a shower cap for teles. Cheap and cheerful.
On the one occasion I had an assignment to shoot a hurricane we used a full U/W housing - the trick was adding a fitting for tripod mounting. And staying out of the way of airborne debris and tree branches whizzing past.

Phil

Aug 24, 2014 at 05:09 AM
CoCaDoRi
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I appreciate all the responses... however, I'm torn between purposed made product and simple household variety...

Aug 24, 2014 at 07:55 AM
maljo
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

Start cheap. Move up if you find it necessary.
I have the Kata system; not easy to install once it's raining.
I mostly use plastic bags. I can keep one in my camera bag at all times.
If I were heading out in a downpour I'd install the Kata before leaving the house.

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:35 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

pjheller wrote:
I don’t understand why people who spend thousands of dollars on camera gear want to use plastic bags to try to protect their equipment. Get Think Tank Hydrophobia or AquaTech covers . . . small price to pay for good protection.

Maybe some of us only see rain (when on a gig) 2 or 3 times a year.
Bought a trick cheapo 'sleeve' thingy on eBay ~10+ yrs ago. Works great,
when I'm in a downpour. Folds up to nothing so it's there when I need it.
No reason to drop big bucks for such limited use. Maybe you're all wet...
most of the time.

Edited on Aug 26, 2014 at 08:39 AM · View previous versions

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:29 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I agree that rain may only happen once in a while but from an insurance standpoint if my gear is not covered by proper rain protection (they know I shoot sports) and I try to claim rain damage I am out of luck.

I have the Lenscoat Raincoat Pro 2 in my bag at all times. It cost me $125 USD, with shipping taxes and conversion to Canadian funds it cost me around $150. I use it on my D3s and a Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 Sport lens, so the rain coat cost me 2.5% of the cost of the current value of the camera and lens combo.......

Even less if I expand it to cover all of my gear.......

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:39 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

I use the weather sealing built into the camera and lens.... Works for the d800, maybe not as good for the d600. I had it in a huge downpour the other day and it works fine still. Maybe I'm relying too much on the weather sealing I payed good money for though.

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:40 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

Touché

Aug 26, 2014 at 08:42 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rain gear for the camera body??? advice

Hardcore wrote:
I use the weather sealing built into the camera and lens.... Works for the d800, maybe not as good for the d600. I had it in a huge downpour the other day and it works fine still. Maybe I'm relying too much on the weather sealing I payed good money for though.

You cannot necessarily count on your lenses having the same level of weather sealing as your camera, and a lens full of water is sure to spill some into the camera through the lens mount

I recall the brochures for the Canon 1V pro film camera 25 years ago showing it covered in water drops. That inspired confidence in the weather sealing, but Canon have never put out another brochure shot like that one. I can't help but wonder why and think that someone got their camera a bit too wet and blamed Canon.

I think that your choice of rain protection gear should be governed by your application. The cling wrap is too late if the camera is already wet. A plastic bag will let you stop (more) rain getting on the gear while you stop shooting, is easily stuffed into a pocket just in case you might need it, but is not too good when using the camera at the same time. If you intend to move about and shoot in the wet then you might want something more professional that won't rip to shreds when you go through some bushes with all of your gear. You might have to consider the effect of colours on your live subject as you try to sneak up on it. Then again, a large hood over you and your gear might make you look sufficiently non-human that you can get closer than you would without it.

You'll probably want a dry towel or a small super-absorbant camp towel too.

- Alan

Aug 28, 2014 at 01:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.