Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

7DMII mP?
20.2 is enough, I'm in
20.2 isn't enough, I'll look elsewhere
20.2 isn't enough, I'm going full-frame
I'll reserve judgment until I see hi--ISO performance
Forget mP, I want the cross-type focus and other advances

7DII prospective specs poll & Q

PatrickSweeney
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Canon rumors has what they feel (90% likely) are the new specs for the 7DMII.

One thing that jumped out at me was the paltry increase in megapixels. yes, megapixels aren't the be-all and end-all of the digital photo universe, but we've had 18 mP from the 7D for how many years now?

So, I'm curious about what you all think. It is enough? Do you want more? Or is high-ISO more important?

And personally, 20.2 isn't enough to get me pulling out my visa card, unless they've dropped the AA filter and as a result we get a big jump in resolution.

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:37 PM
doowop42
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

1: 12 frames a second would have been much better.
2:A little more than 20.2 wanted.

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:46 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

AF at f/8 and a full stop better ISO than the 7D, and I'm a buyer. Otherwise, eh. I'll hold onto my 7D/6D combo for awhile longer.

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:50 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

With a 7D; newly acquired, the 7DII or what ever it's labeled isn't on my buy-now list. But like above a more extensive AF like the 5D3/1DX, f8 AF, and a deep buffer would be heavy wants.

My next move is to FF, either a 6D or a future 5D; when 4K video is added. I've no issues waiting as my kit is just fine for a while; a 6D/7D combo would be solid. Glass is more at the top of my wants, the new wide primes with IS and the 16-35/24-70 f4L IS zooms, I'm saving for a 500mm as well

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:11 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Hmm is a fine detail sensor just the same as the 70D bit without AA filter To be honest, that would make the sensor WORSE than the 70D sensor in my mind. I just don't think the densities are high enough yet to simply drop the AA filters. That is way place where I think Nikon and SONY are going off the rails a little and it would be a shame to see Canon fall into that marketing nonsense trap. So Canon goes for the AA-less trend but doesn't bother about the super great low ISO DR trend Seems like the worst of two world's decisions. (if all true)

Hmm no 4k....

I guess the talk about how the main IQ improvements and 4k may be held for the 5D4 and the 7D would all be about new stills AF and video AF were the true early rumors?

It certainly sounds good and yet if it doesn't do more than just give a 70D sensor without AA (and maybe it does do more) and no 4k it seems like it's something they could've produced, as is, some time ago already (other than perhaps for some super souped up dual pixel AF 2).

Personally I'd way rather be shooting 4k video with old or even no dual pixel AF than 1080p with souped up dual pixel AF.

I think Canon thinks like this: super fast video AF and tracking is MUCH less expensive to produce than fancy new sensor fabs to match Exmor sensors for low ISO quality and it's maybe easier to make a big marketing pitch over to the avg guy on the street and since we have all users locked in with lenses, will just do this and forget about matching exmor. (cryptic message from JapaneseCanonFangirlsGroup appeared to claim that Canon's internal thinking is that they have users so locked in with lenses that they will be OK even though they are going to fall behind compared to other makers for raw stills low iso image quality and even, at the lower end for this round, 4k video and that they have users trapped enough that they don't have to spend for new fabs and push 4k into lower tiers yet)

Granted the 5D series was always canon's main lower tier video push, but I mean competition is out there, GH4.... yeah GH4 is not the camera this is for other things, but leaving out 4k all the same you'd think has to lose some sales to those more in it for video and not at 5D series level. But whatever.

I'm sure this will have amazing AF and handle sports and wildlife super well so it will likely be very good in many ways, but there are some disturbing potential hints that Canon really has not gotten any sort of exmor-matching plans on the line any time soon and that it will all be about cheaper to produce mass marketing things like bragging on no AA filters and having ultra fast video AF for the next round or two of bodies and that they may well see to cripple video on the 5D4. If this got 1080p instead of 4k that means the 5D4 can get 4k but likely a crippled up versions and still no solid built in features like focusing peaking, magic 100% focus boxes, zebras, etc. etc. and they might leave out 1080p RAW and maybe produce a blurry, waxy 4k and leave the real stuff to the 1DX2 or C-line....

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Anyway, whatever the case I was more into a 5D4 anyway since I don't think I can really afford a dual 7D2+5D4 at this time.

But I do fear a bit as to whether 5D4 will match exmor and whether they won't cripple the video on it to protect cinema series now.

The AF on this 7D2 should be vastly better than on the 7D though.

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

40+mp, Sony beating DR. FF, I don't do bird photography anymore. Mirrorless would be ok.

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

I was interested if it would have the 4K video, since my son primarily shoots video. We'll have to see if Magic Lantern can extract the 4K video from it. Also, I wonder if it will have 720P at 120fps for some slow motion playback.

Steve

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:46 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Looks like the 70D sensor without AA filter. This is what is considered innovation in Canon land. Prove me wrong Canon.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:48 PM
mogud
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Everybody over at CR are hyperventilating over these specs. The site is up to 9 pages already.

Based on these specs, this camera is not the mini 1Dx everyone was hoping for. In addtion, this certainly is not the revolutionary body/technology that has been hyped for months. The only spec that sounds fishy to me is 65 cross-type focus points.

I wouldn't pay more than $2k for this if all this is true and maybe pass.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Megapixels, mega-pickles, phooey. If it doesn't do a clean high-ISO (i.e. 25,600 with a usable 51,200) and doesn't improve on DR by any great margin over what currently exists in the 7D, well, then phooey on that, too.

The world doesn't need another daytime-only sports body.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-7d-replacement-specs-leaked-far-real-ones/

This comes from a source that got it close to right in the past. That’s why I agreed to post it.

I have been told (thanks) that almost none of the so far leaked specs concerning the replacement for the Canon EOS 7D are reliable. Canon will “announce something big and innovative” but “it’s far from what you think”, the source wrote. The announcement is expected in September, a week or 2 before Photokina 2014.

The source confirmed that the EOS 7D replacement will be build like a tank (“extremely robust and durable body”), that there will be a new sensor technology
...Show more

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

I'm hoping the body is disappointing enough and expensive enough to be more readily available at introduction.

EBH

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Back to the question, 20-21MP is fine on the sub-APS-C sensor Canon uses. An APS-C / DX sensor is better for 24MP.

EBH

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

Sjjindra wrote:
I was interested if it would have the 4K video, since my son primarily shoots video. We'll have to see if Magic Lantern can extract the 4K video from it. Also, I wonder if it will have 720P at 120fps for some slow motion playback.

Steve

It might not if this cryptic message has any truth to it:

"Information from Japanese Canon fan girls, who are working @Canon:

Information about the successor of the 7D and the 5DIII are under total NDA. And total means total. There is just an small circle of engeneers and managers who know all of these Cameras. Others are just working on fragments of this Cameras to avoid leaks. If anyone says, he knows details on these products, he is not telling the truth.
In earlier times print jobs for tranportation and manuals were given to the printeries weeks before announcement. This time, there ist still just printing time reservated. No files have been sent to them (status from 08/12).

Canon is still thinking that they do not have to produce the best and most innovative products in the low and mid price segments. Sales figures show that the market analysts are right. Canon is still the best power seller on the market. And the analysts know that in future time, the market wil not grow and other brands are coming in. Sony will be very active, maybe an 5DIII and 1DX mirrorless competitor is coming in the near future.
The slow reaction on the D7100 and the still "no reaction" on the excellent D800/810 is well calculated. No need to hurry, Canon products are still sold well. There are not many persons switching to Nikon, because the majority of Canonians will not be able to spend a lot of money on new expensive lenses. The average Canon customer will be satisfied by new Canon products, even if other brands will produce superior products.

And the rumored prices of the 7D successor are just rumors. Some Canon fans in Japan think that there will be an hefty price increase on Canon products on coming products. Analysts say, that customers are willed to pay the increase. The increasing number of tests and scores, where Canon products are often just a few points /percents better than e.g. third party lenses, will prompt the average (and scores fixed) Canon fan to buy this "bettert product".
If you can see that in their pictures? I do not know."

That would be kind of a sad fall for Canon if that is their new attitude (and it seems like it is).

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:47 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

skibum5 wrote:
That would be kind of a sad fall for Canon if that is their new attitude (and it seems like it is).

How would you know when it is all rumors?

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

mogud wrote:
Everybody over at CR are hyperventilating over these specs. The site is up to 9 pages already.

Based on these specs, this camera is not the mini 1Dx everyone was hoping for. In addtion, this certainly is not the revolutionary body/technology that has been hyped for months. The only spec that sounds fishy to me is 65 cross-type focus points.

I wouldn't pay more than $2k for this if all this is true and maybe pass.

It should be less that $2000. Meanwhile, I bought another Nikon today.

EBH

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:14 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

I expect the big improvements to come in autofocus and tracking in the live AF mode. Those dual processors need to be doing something.

However, sensors are a mature product, and even 1/2 stop of noise is a huge improvement for a sensor.

A lot of people will buy the camera and not really use or need the features, and will miss out on the better IQ you get from FF. I'm not wanting another APS-C camera, I have a 1GX MK II and that's enough.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:38 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

I'm on the fence. I bought a Nikon D7100 for higher quality, low ISO images.

I would have purchased a D610 or D810, but I wasn't ready to sell my Canon glass, especially the 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 II.

I also bought a 6D for high ISO event work, at 3200 to 6400 ISO.I don't want to buy (another) 5DIII so late in it's life cycle. I am a bit on the fence on whether to keep the 6D, but I don't think a 7DII will have better high ISO.

20 MP is fine, there is no meaningful difference between that and the 24 MP on the D7100. There is also no real meaningful difference between a 1.5 (Nikon) and a 1.6 (Canon) crop.

I would like Dual Pixel Auto Focus for video. I would like **accurate** auto focus, like the 1DX and 5D3 have, and the 70D and D7100 do not have.

If Canon doesn't release a really new sensor, and no really new 5D4 sensor either by spring, I will buy a Nikon D750 or similar, sell the best Canon glass, and probably buy an 80D or T6i.

I am still hoping that Canon finally gives us a new sensor, with higher base DR. I have no real use for the 70D sensor, which is essentially what I have had in my T4i for 2 years. I'll just buy back my T4i instead ...

I still **hope** that Canon does something to address DR, and also finally brings better/closer to true color like they have on the Cinema line.

These rumors have been pretty tedious and boring. I wish Canon had announced on August 15, as they have in the past. Most of this speculation is pretty thin so far ...

The one thing that gets me hopeful is the rumor in the past that the new sensor would "obsolete" their current line, demanding an update to the 5D3 and 1DX by February. I could see them delaying as long as possible so as not to kill sales on existing product if that were true.

M.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:56 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7DII prospective specs poll & Q

CR is guessing/throwing darts at a wall. They've thrown enough AND have speculated enough on logical specs that when the 7d2 does come out they will say "hey, we got it right!", but there is no reason to take any particular guess as "90% accurate".

It's way too early to get upset; besides the difference between 20 and 22 is negligible and you will not see a difference in real life.

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password