Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

more 7D2 rumors

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · more 7D2 rumors

or anti-rumors.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-7d-replacement-specs-leaked-far-real-ones/

This comes from a source that got it close to right in the past. That’s why I agreed to post it.

I have been told (thanks) that almost none of the so far leaked specs concerning the replacement for the Canon EOS 7D are reliable. Canon will “announce something big and innovative” but “it’s far from what you think”, the source wrote. The announcement is expected in September, a week or 2 before Photokina 2014.

The source confirmed that the EOS 7D replacement will be build like a tank (“extremely robust and durable body”), that there will be a new sensor technology (but no multilayered sensor), and that the EOS 7D replacement will feature a new generation of Dual Pixel CMOS AF. But that’s all I have been told, and it’s nothing really unheard. Unfortunately the source did not send any detailed specs, so we are still in the stadium of pure guessing.

Just to remind you, these are the latest, rumored specs for the EOS 7D replacement, the specs the source said are not the real ones (except for what is listed above):

• Alloy body – Same as EOS 1 series DSLRs
• EOS-1 style top plate
• 24MP
• Hybrid Sensor – Multilayer + Dual Pixel CMOS AF
• No Wifi built-in
• Not touch screen, super durable LCD cover
• 12fps shooting (or faster)
• New AF system
According to the rumor I got, most of what is listed above will not find it’s way into the EOS 7D replacement. My take is that the new generation of Dual Pixel AF might be the most reliable of all rumored specs (there has been a pertinent patent I reported about), followed by the new sensor tech. I am still somewhat sceptical about the rumored high build quality.

Aug 22, 2014 at 06:18 PM
bbjensen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · more 7D2 rumors

...and more competing rumors.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/are-these-the-eos-7d-mark-ii-specifications/

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:06 PM
bhollis

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · more 7D2 rumors

Latest rumored specs from Canon Rumors
http://www.canonrumors.com/

These specs Include:
■20.2MP “Fine Detail” CMOS Sensor (I want more information on this)
■Dual Pixel CMOS AF

Sounds suspiciously like the 70D's sensor. Unless "fine detail" really means something new and significant.

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:07 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · more 7D2 rumors

bhollis wrote:

These specs Include:
■Dual Pixel CMOS AF

Sounds suspiciously like the 70D's sensor. Unless "fine detail" really means something new and significant.

Maybe Canon has decided to finally drop the blur filter?

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · more 7D2 rumors

Hmm is a fine detail sensor just the same as the 70D bit without AA filter To be honest, that would make the sensor WORSE than the 70D sensor in my mind. I just don't think the densities are high enough yet to simply drop the AA filters. That is way place where I think Nikon and SONY are going off the rails a little and it would be a shame to see Canon fall into that marketing nonsense trap. So Canon goes for the AA-less trend but doesn't bother about the super great low ISO DR trend Seems like the worst of two world's decisions. (if all true)

Hmm no 4k....

I guess the talk about how the main IQ improvements and 4k may be held for the 5D4 and the 7D would all be about new stills AF and video AF were the true early rumors?

It certainly sounds good and yet if it doesn't do more than just give a 70D sensor without AA (and maybe it does do more) and no 4k it seems like it's something they could've produced, as is, some time ago already (other than perhaps for some super souped up dual pixel AF 2).

Personally I'd way rather be shooting 4k video with old or even no dual pixel AF than 1080p with souped up dual pixel AF.

I think Canon thinks like this: super fast video AF and tracking is MUCH less expensive to produce than fancy new sensor fabs to match Exmor sensors for low ISO quality and it's maybe easier to make a big marketing pitch over to the avg guy on the street and since we have all users locked in with lenses, will just do this and forget about matching exmor. (cryptic message from JapaneseCanonFangirlsGroup appeared to claim that Canon's internal thinking is that they have users so locked in with lenses that they will be OK even though they are going to fall behind compared to other makers for raw stills low iso image quality and even, at the lower end for this round, 4k video and that they have users trapped enough that they don't have to spend for new fabs and push 4k into lower tiers yet)

Granted the 5D series was always canon's main lower tier video push, but I mean competition is out there, GH4.... yeah GH4 is not the camera this is for other things, but leaving out 4k all the same you'd think has to lose some sales to those more in it for video and not at 5D series level. But whatever.

I'm sure this will have amazing AF and handle sports and wildlife super well so it will likely be very good in many ways, but there are some disturbing potential hints that Canon really has not gotten any sort of exmor-matching plans on the line any time soon and that it will all be about cheaper to produce mass marketing things like bragging on no AA filters and having ultra fast video AF for the next round or two of bodies and that they may well see to cripple video on the 5D4. If this got 1080p instead of 4k that means the 5D4 can get 4k but likely a crippled up versions and still no solid built in features like focusing peaking, magic 100% focus boxes, zebras, etc. etc. and they might leave out 1080p RAW and maybe produce a blurry, waxy 4k and leave the real stuff to the 1DX2 or C-line....

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:03 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · more 7D2 rumors

I have no interest in this camera, but improved high ISO, by at least a stop or similiar to other ASP-C cameras with good high ISO performance (yeah right...) would be great. Better AF system similiar to FF cameras, especially in low light. Those two things would be awesome and show potential to next gen of other Canon ASP-C cameras.

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · more 7D2 rumors

It seems like Canon marketing at work again when it comes to 4k. The 1DC can do a full read and extract and process 4k out of 18MP using dual digic 5 so why could the 7D2 not handle a 4k read out of a 20MP sensor with dual digic 6? Now they are locked into their top sports/wildlife mini-cam not being able to shoot wildlife video at 4k for another 3-6 years.... (unless the release a new firmware in 2 years if they are falling hopelessly far behind and bring 4k to it or something)

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:06 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · more 7D2 rumors

skibum5 wrote:
It seems like Canon marketing at work again when it comes to 4k. The 1DC can do a full read and extract and process 4k out of 18MP using dual digic 5 so why could the 7D2 not handle a 4k read out of a 20MP sensor with dual digic 6? Now they are locked into their top sports/wildlife mini-cam not being able to shoot wildlife video at 4k for another 3-6 years.... (unless the release a new firmware in 2 years if they are falling hopelessly far behind and bring 4k to it or something)

I, personally, don't take the absence of any mention of 4K as a certain indication that there will be no 4K. Call me hopelessly hopeful, but I'm hoping that Canon doesn't prove itself to be asleep at the wheel in the current market with these next releases.

1080/720P DSLR's with 8-bit output and subpar DR are yesterday's news.

That Canon proves itself not to be a player in the small-form imaging/video head market will only open the flood gates further to folks moving onto systems which better suit their needs. I've been patiently hanging on waiting at those gates in the hopes that Canon will deliver, or even more so, maybe knock one out of the park with this next generation. That Canon (or any other company) has under-estimated the number of fence-sitters within their own camp is always a fool's gamble in the real-world marketplace.

It's Canon's choice whether they wish to maintain their own customer base.

I guess we'll all see what happens in the next few weeks.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · more 7D2 rumors

So, the 7DII won't be a 1DX with a crop sensor ... for $2500 ??

OMG, what was Canon thinking ??

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · more 7D2 rumors

bhollis wrote:

These specs Include:
■Dual Pixel CMOS AF

No AA filter is not really new. Unfortunately I'm not sure that is a good thing. My main use of the body would be with a 200-400/4, 500/4 or 600/4 lens on wildlife. One sees enough aliasing already on birds, etc. in bodies with AA filters. It's less of a issue with softer lenses.

EBH

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · more 7D2 rumors

skibum5 wrote:

jimmy462 wrote:
I, personally, don't take the absence of any mention of 4K as a certain indication that there will be no 4K. Call me hopelessly hopeful, but I'm hoping that Canon doesn't prove itself to be asleep at the wheel in the current market with these next releases.

1080/720P DSLR's with 8-bit output and subpar DR are yesterday's news.

That Canon proves itself not to be a player in the small-form imaging/video head market will only open the flood gates further to folks moving onto systems which better suit their needs. I've been patiently hanging on waiting at those gates in the
...Show more

I wish they would ditch the video for some of the better models and eliminate that compromise to stills. They could keep video in certain bodies.

EBH

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · more 7D2 rumors

The video is a switch and some software. It's not holding back still image quality. If anything, the additional processing requirements are encouraging developments.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · more 7D2 rumors

Well, two different rumor sites with different specs (and not even close to the same specs) so probably a waste of time until the finally announcement.

Frankly, I would be somewhat surprised to see canon development ANOTHER AF system. Maybe the 1Dx/5D3 system is too big, but you figure it would be easier to scale that back.

The bottom line is it is all about the sensor and AF for me. The more FPS, etc is all ey. The 5D3 AF is much better than the current 7D system and obviously sensor improvements are the biggest thing. Honestly, I think the sensor improvements are important just as a signal about what the next FF sensors will be able to do.

My two worthless cents,
Chris

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · more 7D2 rumors

It doesn't cost too much to improve the AF. Canon may still be having problems sourcing imaging sensors.

EBH

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · more 7D2 rumors

...if anyone thinks this camera is going to trump a 1dx, they probably smoked one.

Those specs are over the top.

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:28 AM
white

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · more 7D2 rumors

Why not just sit on your hands and wait until the official announcements before dumping on Canon for what they may or may not do, or attempting to develop cynical theories of how Canon will aim to get by with no new sensor technology for the next twenty years.

Aug 23, 2014 at 07:06 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · more 7D2 rumors

Gotta love heated arguments about hardware that doesn't exist yet!

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:01 AM
rdcny
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · more 7D2 rumors

yes...and to watch the yarn unspin: the imaginary popcorn tastes pretty good too - with no calories to burn; the best of both worlds

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:19 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · more 7D2 rumors

jorkata wrote:
So, the 7DII won't be a 1DX with a crop sensor ... for $2500 ??

If true, it is disappointing but the rumors on this body have been all over the place so I still hold out hope. There is a real need for a mid level pro sports body. If they up the FPS in the 5D4 to 8 or 10 it would be viable but I have a feeling that will continue to be the high MP low FPS body.

Sadly, I don't see Nikon doing much better with the D750. Both companies fear the top end cannibalization too much. I see Canon pushing the 1DX2 into the $8000 range. Man, I miss the days of the 1D/1Ds combo where at least you could get a 1D for $4999.

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:50 AM
technic

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · more 7D2 rumors

Great (I suppose) for the sports/wedding/events etc. shooters, but hardly anything interesting for me; I'm not interested in a cropped 1DX. Let's hope they have another camera "something big and innovative" up their sleeve, maybe a really good mirrorless body. Without a big step up in sensor quality (that will quickly filter down to less 'pro' models) my next body won't be a Canon.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password