Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · NCAA Soccer - UMSL vs UMKC

djp2313
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NCAA Soccer - UMSL vs UMKC

Looking for some constructive criticism on shots from last night's game. This was my first time shooting soccer and it is a lot more involved than it looks. I have several things on my own list that I need to improve but looking for other eyes on it.

Edited on Aug 22, 2014 at 01:17 PM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:14 PM
djp2313
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NCAA Soccer - UMSL vs UMKC

A few more

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:14 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NCAA Soccer - UMSL vs UMKC

It is a tough sport to shoot but with practice it gets better. In general you are looking to:

1. Capture peak action that contains ball and faces.
2. Sit on your butt vs standing.
3. Monopods are NOT for sissies, if you are using large glass then use one!
4. Captures from the sidelines are tougher than from the end line. Personally suggest you try there half way between the flag and the side of the goal. This is were you get the action coming towards you
5. Watch out for bad backgrounds (BG)
6. If you can't get it level when shot, then straighten it in PP.
7. When possible try to avoid chopping off body parts which can distract the eye when viewing the result.
8. Post 5 (or so, not too many) of what you think are your best and see what comments you get.
... there is more... but these are a good start!

Regarding your posts:
1 - The action is 'ok' (not peak) but the negative space detracts, re-crop so the players fill most of the frame
2 - Good action, would have been better if shot from the end line where they'd been facing the lens. BG not so hot.
3 - Action is fine, crop a bit tighter... looks a tad soft on my screen
4 - Suggest re-crop to portrait an only include the two engaged
5 - Fine, not sure what the focus of the shot is....
6 - Too far away, action probably would have been better a frame or two later, plus cropped
7 - Too far away, if it can take it, I would crop this one significantly
8 - Not bad, I would go portrait vs square. Is there any more room at the bottom?
9 - Crop tighter
10 - Standing up? This one doesn't work for me....

Keep shooting, it gets better

Matt

Aug 22, 2014 at 03:38 PM
djp2313
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NCAA Soccer - UMSL vs UMKC

schlotz wrote:
Regarding your posts:
1 - The action is 'ok' (not peak) but the negative space detracts, re-crop so the players fill most of the frame
2 - Good action, would have been better if shot from the end line where they'd been facing the lens. BG not so hot.
3 - Action is fine, crop a bit tighter... looks a tad soft on my screen
4 - Suggest re-crop to portrait an only include the two engaged
5 - Fine, not sure what the focus of the shot is....
6 - Too far away, action probably would have been better a frame or two later, plus
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it. Crop tighter seems to be the general theme.

3. Might be some motion blur, was losing sun and hit my ceiling on auto-iso so the ss was dropping - few minutes left to the half so rather than switch cameras I rolled with it. Didn't look too bad smaller but I see it now that I'm on a bigger screen.

6. He drubbed the play, the next few frames weren't any good.

8. No room at the bottom, I was leaving way too much empty space up top on a lot of portrait shots, first time working on a monopod is the excuse I'm going with , just something for me to keep in mind in the future.

10. Yes standing, I thought it had a different enough feel compared to the rest to be included.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:06 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.