2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · unhappy bride - image rights

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · unhappy bride - image rights

Hi,

we are about to run into some problems:

We covered a really nice wedding and the images came out great (some may have seen the other post here).

I put the images on the blog, wrote the bride an email with the link to the blogpost - the bride emailed back and is pissed. She is angry that we did not deliver the images first, as she wanted to approve the images we may post. She wants nearly all images removed, except 3.

We state in our contract all the regular standards: we own the images rights, the couple receive the right to privately use the images. Here has apparently happened a misunderstanding. I assume they did not read the contract. The images are ready to be delivered next week (2 month before due)

We give our couples the right that we do not advertise with the images, but that costs extra (800 dollars). But this has to happen before the wedding, not after. I am not willing to do this here as for our capability the images turned out so great.

I have an appointment for a telephone call this evening.

What is your opinion, advise?

heiko

Aug 22, 2014 at 08:50 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · unhappy bride - image rights

Two parts. One. I would chalk this up to a learning experience and honor the bride's request. Two I would make sure going forward I added an requirement that my clients put their initials next to the clause you refer to in your contract. Makes it harder to claim they didn't read it. And you can be certain you went over it with them.

Edited on Aug 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:09 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · unhappy bride - image rights

Yeah, what he said. Unhappy customers is bad for business, way worse than a missed blog post. If there was something super epic, request for a compromise that you put it in your portfolio or on Facebook, explain marketing need etc.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · unhappy bride - image rights

I would take down the blog post, not charge her, and go out the next weekend and shoot some even more awesome photos to post. Lets be honest, having one extra post on your blog is not worth an upset bride spreading bad word about your business (whether it is warranted or not).

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:11 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · unhappy bride - image rights

I would applogize for the misunderstanding, and the reminder that she found/liked you through your success with others and the circle of your continuing success demands sharing that continued success with others — that's why your written agreement states things the way it does and both parties agree to it.

With this issue in the past, I've acknowledged their wishes and removed the blog post. A few months later I will use the images not in a typical wedding day blog post, but more like a venue-centric post that never mentions the birde and groom by name. In reality, that's better for SEO anyway. Or a general post, "awesome wedding dresses I liked" or in a compilation post "cool unity rituals in wedding ceremonies."

That said — I did have a groom in 2006 that even went through my website 4 years (!) later and found that new anonymous post, and reached out to me. I firmly relayed to him my thoughts in paragraph one of this post and refused to deny my company's ability to show industry-standard portfolio public viewing samples of work.

I see both sides — if someone wants to control their own public image, there's no reason they should have to endure a blog feature on your site with their name attached, but they can't impeade your business' ability to get new work at the same venue. Keep names off it and you should be ok.

Edited on Aug 22, 2014 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:14 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · unhappy bride - image rights

heikoM wrote:
She is angry that we did not deliver the images first

So you posted the images to the world-wide-web before the bride and groom, or their families, saw the images?

Hopefully you can learn from this, as it's pretty simple.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:17 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · unhappy bride - image rights

5+ years ago, I got some pushback for blogging a wedding before releasing the gallery to clients. I didn't continue the practice.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:20 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · unhappy bride - image rights

lol — then there's the reverse of this situation. Last Fall I shot a wedding I wanted to forget and the bride hounded me to blog it because she loved the way I blogged weddings and wanted it to be the document of her day.

Now I've switched to Pixieset for galleries and don't think I'll ever have that issue again as their dynamic resizing galleries have lots of pop.

Aug 22, 2014 at 09:23 AM
Aremac 01
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · unhappy bride - image rights

ricardovaste wrote:
So you posted the images to the world-wide-web before the bride and groom, or their families, saw the images?

Hopefully you can learn from this, as it's pretty simple.

Really? I always sneak peek, blog and slideshow before my clients see all their photos. I find doing this has more emotional impact and excitement, and leads to more blog sharing, likes, etc. Don't most photographers do this? I have never had a problem doing this, in fact it's been amazing.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · unhappy bride - image rights

You've be surprised, Heiko. I had a beautiful bride and dapper groom for a wedding at my favorite local venue (beautiful upscale super expensive location - all outdoors with a barn). She emailed me asking if we could talk. It ended up that she loved the images, she just wasn't comfortable with the image quantity I had posted. I over-blogged the crap out of it (over 100 images). She had me remove about 1/3 of them, a few of them I wish she hadn't, but as everyone is saying - an angry bride isn't worth bad reviews. Try to make her happy.

Remember to explain to her how proud of the images you are, how much you love them, how beautiful she is. She just might be irked that you posted them first without showing her.

On a side note, I usually Facebook a teaser or two, and blog the images, but immediately after going live with the blog, I email my clients with the blog link, a note about Facebook, and full gallery link. So there's very little time for someone to be angry - which has never happened.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · unhappy bride - image rights

I always blog before. that's how my clients see the images first. What gets me in trouble though, is that it takes me a day or two to blog..but then a few weeks to deliver.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:59 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · unhappy bride - image rights

Bride first then blog & post...

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · unhappy bride - image rights

I'm the same. I will sneak peek and blog well before the client gets all of the images. And I will email the clients links to everything as soon as they're posted, mostly so they can start sharing the heck out of it. It's been a great formula for me. I think you (Heiko) just got unlucky on this one. I don't think you should change the way you release and market your images because of this one unfortunate incident.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:06 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · unhappy bride - image rights

Simple question... Did you VERBALLY tell them this is what you do? I tell every client what happens throughout the entire process. They all know a blog post is coming first. You make it sound like you handed them the contract, and didn't say a word. Please say that isn't so.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:07 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · unhappy bride - image rights

sounds like she's extremely vain and insecure. She probably thinks she looks funny (even though I'm sure she looks amazing).

Did she give you a specific reason she wanted the photos removed?

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · unhappy bride - image rights

thanks for the input everyone.

Yes, until now I had great success with sneak peeks, fb teaser and blogposts before the bride gets the images.

Normally we meet the bride prior to booking. There we mostly talk about their wedding, show album etc. But we do not talk so much about my "business way" Then they get the contract by mail. 4 weeks before the wedding we get in contact again, about wedding schedule and any further question.

When do you guys talk about this stuff? First meeting? Second meeting? Before or after the contract?

heiko

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · unhappy bride - image rights

You need to add a rundown of what is to be expected to your consultations - before their signing. Not only do I do this during the consult, I also do it at the engagement shoot, and on the wedding day. Clients ALWAYS know in advance, multiple times, what's coming next.

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:36 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · unhappy bride - image rights

amonline wrote:
You need to add a rundown of what is to be expected to your consultations - before their signing. Not only do I do this during the consult, I also do it at the engagement shoot, and on the wedding day. Clients ALWAYS know in advance, multiple times, what's coming next.

We have a "rundown" on the website, as well as a detailed contract. I assume I need to tell as well, right?

heiko

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:39 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · unhappy bride - image rights

heikoM wrote:
When do you guys talk about this stuff? First meeting? Second meeting? Before or after the contract?

We always review the agreement--either in person or via phone--before they sign it. When we get to the model release section we talk about how we use the photos. At that point the couple can raise any objections which we can work through on the spot. We have never had an issue with our process.

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:44 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · unhappy bride - image rights

heikoM wrote:
We have a "rundown" on the website, as well as a detailed contract. I assume I need to tell as well, right?

heiko

Yes. I verbally tell them what to expect. Multiple times as mentioned above.

Aug 22, 2014 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.