New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Profoto B1 review

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto B1 review

I recently purchased the Profoto B1 flash to replace my battery pack Profoto B600 and reviewed it on my blog. Here is a brief summary.

The flash is typical Profoto quality, it is excellent with great fit and finish and thoughtful ergonomics. I found the adjustment knob for tilt large enough for my big mitts, the same with the knob to lock the head to a stand, and the rear controls set far enough apart for easy access. The only complaint I have so far is that the LCD readout is not in typical power output, e.g. 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 etc. To me this is a more intuitive way to measure power output rather than 1 through 10 numbers with small increments. Color output is consistent as you would expect for a strobe at this price.

The weight of all mono lights is considerably more than heads used with power packs and the Profoto B1 is slightly heavier yet due to the onboard lithium battery, but the difference is but a few ounces. The B1 uses most light modifiers offered by Profoto. As I had a couple of Profoto soft boxes this was a nice benefit.

The B1 is an expensive flash, weighing in at just under two grand a head. What makes it worth this lofty price, and this is the main reason for buying it, is the TTL integration with the camera. Think of this as a larger, powerful, off camera version of your speed light with automatic exposure functions controlled by the camera. The module also allows full manual control of light output from the camera and if multiple heads are used you can vary light ratios from camera position as well. As of this writing the E-TTL control is available only for Canon, but shipment of a Nikon module is scheduled for mid-September.

Several manufacturers claim that their products are designed by photographers. If this is the case at Profoto, they should teach them how to write as well. I find the manuals to be a bit obtuse and had to revisit them several times and check out some you tube videos to get some functions to work. That said, once I got a grip on them, I found the flash units easy to use.

If you care to read it, my review is posted at www.foto-gizmo.blogspot.com

Aug 22, 2014 at 05:55 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto B1 review

Thanks for the review Your observations are spot on especially regarding the weight of the B1s, they can get very heavy especially with the Mola Demi.

I could only afford one B1 unit so if I need kicker & background lighting I use Nikon SB900s triggered with the optical receivers. Not ideal but works fine for now My Gura Gear 22L is a perfect match for the B1 & my D800 + couple of lenses.

The TTL-N remote should be here on Wednesday, I am so excited to use it with the D800!

Sep 15, 2014 at 09:41 PM
mberky07

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto B1 review

Does anyone have suggestions of modifiers for the B1 outside of the ones from Profoto?

Sep 16, 2014 at 03:07 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto B1 review

Westcott makes an Octabox with a Profoto ring. I have it, it collapses like an umbrella. It's a less expensive alternative for the B1.

Nov 27, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto B1 review

As an Acute B2 600r user this is interesting. I've stuck with my 600r since the battery pack means less weight on top of the stand and balances a BD outside fine even when it is windy. I also don't have any use for TTL, never seen the point especially as with a pack power adjustment is so accessible.

As for modifiers I use a PCB PLM with the diffuser fabric as an octa and a kasey BD with profoto mount.

Nov 27, 2014 at 06:42 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto B1 review

Mark_L wrote:
As an Acute B2 600r user this is interesting. I've stuck with my 600r since the battery pack means less weight on top of the stand and balances a BD outside fine even when it is windy. I also don't have any use for TTL, never seen the point especially as with a pack power adjustment is so accessible.

As for modifiers I use a PCB PLM with the diffuser fabric as an octa and a kasey BD with profoto mount.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I recently picked up a B1 to add to my B600R set. I like it enough to seriously contemplate moving to an all-B1 setup.

While I completely agree that having less weight on the lightstand is wonderful, I also love the simplicity of the B1. I don't use TTL (yet) since I am using the B1 with my B600s. I imagine if I was to move over to a 100% B1 kit, I would appreciate the ability to modify settings from the camera, and even the TTL.

Nov 27, 2014 at 06:57 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto B1 review

Arka wrote:
I'm in the same boat as you, but I recently picked up a B1 to add to my B600R set. I like it enough to seriously contemplate moving to an all-B1 setup.

While I completely agree that having less weight on the lightstand is wonderful, I also love the simplicity of the B1. I don't use TTL (yet) since I am using the B1 with my B600s. I imagine if I was to move over to a 100% B1 kit, I would appreciate the ability to modify settings from the camera, and even the TTL.

Yeah I have used the D1 with AIR system in studios and the air remote setup was very very nice.

I am thinking about picking up the Godox AD360 though once I'm sure the bad batch of batteries is gone. With an additional cable to use both ports with one flash the peformance seems to be similar to the B1.

Nov 28, 2014 at 07:12 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto B1 review

I have two of the B1's for Nikon. After watching all the video's it looks like you can change the power output on the light it self to adjust power output but it isn't correct. I shot with my camera in manual mode, 1/200 of a second, F5.6 ISO 200. The flash was a little under exposed. I up the power of the flash via the air remote and the flash was the same. I put the power up 2 stops and the flash output was the same. The only way I could get the flash to change is changing the exposure compensation on the camera. So that may be a little misleading for Nikon shooters.

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:08 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto B1 review

How are the Canon or Nikon B1 units different? I am working with Nikons but also have a friend who shoots Canon? Is the transmitter the only thing you have to buy specifically for each brand?

Dec 01, 2014 at 06:18 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto B1 review

pjny wrote:
How are the Canon or Nikon B1 units different? I am working with Nikons but also have a friend who shoots Canon? Is the transmitter the only thing you have to buy specifically for each brand?

Yes, only the TTL remotes are different (TTL-C vs TTL-N). The lights would be the same. And if you only shoot in manual (and not TTL), then you both can use the same Air remote (or PocketWizard or any other remote for that matter using sync cables).

Dec 01, 2014 at 06:59 PM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto B1 review

As mentioned above. Lights are the same, smarts per camera mfg reside in the remote. Buy the light(s), then either the Canon or Nikon remote.

You can also trigger and adjust the lights remotely (non TTL) via the full AiR remote or just trigger it via the simpler Air Transceiver - or any radio via the sync port.

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:16 AM
Gareth Walker

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto B1 review

Arka wrote:

The B1 is the new kid on the block and as such offers something new and interesting however, it wares off eventually. TTL is just another tool that has its appeal to some but has limited use long term when you get to know your equipment.

The Profoto AcuteB however is one of the most rounded packages Profoto make and I think its a wonderful piece of kit with wonderful light output to match. As mentioned earlier in this topic, if Profoto was really "designed by photographers" they would have updated the AcuteB to be fully compatible with the Air Remote system and made it digital long ago......

Dec 07, 2014 at 08:59 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto B1 review

The B1's simplicity and lack of cords, battery packs and metering means it will always have a huge advantage over competition. TTL is just the icing on the cake, and although I always refrained from using TTL, the B1 is very accurate and I am using it more and more especially with constant change of light and locations. With an HSS update it WILL be the perfect flash system

Dec 07, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Profoto B1 review

Gareth Walker wrote:
The B1 is the new kid on the block and as such offers something new and interesting however, it wares off eventually. TTL is just another tool that has its appeal to some but has limited use long term when you get to know your equipment.

The Profoto AcuteB however is one of the most rounded packages Profoto make and I think its a wonderful piece of kit with wonderful light output to match. As mentioned earlier in this topic, if Profoto was really "designed by photographers" they would have updated the AcuteB to be fully compatible with the Air
...Show more

A digital AcuteB with the Air system would be excellent, luckily as it is a pack changing power is not such a pain. I have no use for TTL; I need my flash/ambient ratio to be precise and not vary shot to shot and with a meter this is almost as quick to set up.

Dec 07, 2014 at 02:44 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Profoto B1 review

Anyone looking for a B1 Travel Kit I just listed one in B/S forums. Only needing a single B1 so I am going to sell (or return) the travel kit.

Dec 07, 2014 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.