Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

wsalopek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

I have a D700, a 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8, and an 80-200 2.8...been pretty happy with that.

I also have a Nex-6, so I have been considering switching my full frame setup to a Sony A7s. But the lens choices are pretty poor (unless you have a TON of money, and even then...).

I thought I'd pretty much need 1.8 to 2.8 lenses for indoor high school sports with the Sony (and that's part of why the lens selection would be so limited)...but maybe F4 is good enough with the A7s low light capability? That would sure open up a lot of lens possibilities. But I suppose I'd lose subject isolation at F4...

Thoughts? Thanks so much...

--

Bill

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM
tigerbengal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

why not keep your nikon lenses you already have? just buy a good adapter from nikon to sony mount, the only problem is you will be using manual focus with all of them and for sports sometimes you have to be quick, eventually you will learn how to manual focus pretty good....my personal opinion is keep your good nikon lens and buy only one sony lens for af and later when sony release more lenses you can sell your nikon glass whick keep its valuer pretty good...good luck with your decision...

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

I personally don't think you can get away with manual focus, especially with the large aperture/ shallow dof. In fact, under the basket on my 7D (1.6x crop), I find it very important to keep focus a plane of the face at f2.8 otherwise risk less sharp face image versus focus point. I would imagine over one more stop aperture would only make it more challenging if not stopped down a bit.

Aug 24, 2014 at 08:56 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

Am I missing something here? Why not shoot basketball with the D700 and the 50 1.8 under the basketbal for wide stuff and the 80-200 for everything else at the near end. The D700 certainly doesn't have the ISO capability of the D3s or the D4, but it is still quite capable. It's quick to focus too. There is no reason you can't shoot ambient light, stay at f/2.8 at say ISO 6400 with a shutter speed of 1/640 and do well in many high school gyms. Some may require a little slower shutter (or higher ISO) but give it a whirl. The D700 is a very good camera -- even today.

Rick

Aug 25, 2014 at 05:35 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

tigerbengal wrote:
just buy a good adapter from nikon to sony mount, the only problem is you will be using manual focus with all of them and for sports sometimes you have to be quick, eventually you will learn how to manual focus pretty good....

Tiger...

Thanks for that...those are some thoughts to consider.

I must say the manual focus, while being a fun challenge, probably isn't something I wanna practice right now.in my current situation, which is...not wanting to miss any shots unnecessarily as these are all sort of "once in a lifetime" chances to take good/great pics of my son playing high school basketball.

The photo/craftsman in me says YES to manual focus and to the challenge of learning to do that well for fast moving sports, but the DAD in me wants to get as many shots right as possible, and save that craftsman stuff for another day.

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:28 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

rddayton wrote:
Am I missing something here? Why not shoot basketball with the D700 and the 50 1.8 under the basketbal for wide stuff and the 80-200 for everything else at the near end. The D700 certainly doesn't have the ISO capability of the D3s or the D4, but it is still quite capable. It's quick to focus too. There is no reason you can't shoot ambient light, stay at f/2.8 at say ISO 6400 with a shutter speed of 1/640 and do well in many high school gyms. Some may require a little slower shutter (or higher ISO) but give it
...Show more

Rick,

Thanks...yes...I am not doubting the capability of the D700...I was just looking at my Nex-6, and my existing Sony lenses, and thinking it might be nice to stick with one brand and move to an A7 variant, in particualr, the A7s.

Part of the reason I haven't gone all Sony yet, (besides loving the D700 and my Nikon lenses, which is huge), is the lack of selection of Sony lenses, and the high prices of the lenses that do exist, especially FAST lenses.

But then seeing the A7s low-light scores/reports/images, I thought, well, maybe I can get away with F4 or even 5.6 lenses for indoor sports, because the A7s can shoot cleanly all the way up to 51600.

If I figure the D700 is as clean at ISO 6400 as the A7s is at, well, let's say 25600 to be conservative, that's 2 stops to play with. So if I am shooting indoor basketball at F2.0 - 2.8 with the D700, it looks like I could be at F4 to 5.6 with the A7s, and probable even F5.6 to F8.

I mean, I know those F stops sound crazy for indoor high school sports, but the A7s has definitely broken some new ground in high ISO shooting.

Anyway, that's the whole reason I started thinking about moving from the D700 to A7s.

--

Bill

Aug 25, 2014 at 07:43 PM
tigerbengal
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Indoor high school basketball. D700 + F1.8/2.8 lenses or A7s and F/4?

well Rick I think you answered your own question...stay with your Nikon equipment which is capable to handle good shots of your son playing bkb...sony sounds good on paper and they have small bodies, but the lens selection at this time is too short and very expensive, you have already very good lenses..stick with them, if you want more iso room, why not upgrade to d810? buy a used one here in FM....see if you can try one before you buy, both the d810 and a sony a7..then you will make your best decision without regrets!

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.