Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

Been wanting to do a promo video for awhile but haven't for a few different reasons.

Wondering who is a wedding photog that has a promo video. If you could reshoot your video what would you do differently? Has it gotten you any bookings? Was it a waste of time?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Ftacnikphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

Curious about this as well...

Aug 21, 2014 at 01:40 PM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I've got one on my site. It's a little longer than I would like, but it really hits home the point from a lot of different angles (interviewing past brides, bride's parents, showing how we work on an actual wedding, ect.). I'm sure it's not booked weddings by itself, but it can certainly help. I've had brides I've never met comment that they felt like they knew me already since they had seen the video.

In my book, it was definitely not a waste of time!

Aug 21, 2014 at 01:54 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I was going to post yours Josh as I remember seeing it before I knew who you were and thought "Wow, thats how its done.".

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:04 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I don't know if you would consider it a promo video, but we have one on our site. We get a TON of positive feedback about it from clients, but I don't really know if it's gotten us any bookings. I would imagine there are a few people who it helped "seal the deal" with. It definitely wasn't a waste of time because it was pretty fun to make. Ours doesn't show how we work, or interview past couples or anything though...it's really just meant to be fun and show off our personalities a little bit.

http://www.stevenandlilyphotography.com/about-us/

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

We used to, but don't use it anymore. We got some awesome feedback but it got outdated. Wouldn't mind another one.

When we made ours we just had one rule: we don't want to talk. I find it really tacky when people compliment themselves, so we just had the video folks interview our clients and splice in footage of us working. The interviews were all unscripted and we didn't know the questions or answers until we saw the video. My hope was that the authenticity came across and I think it worked.

Aug 21, 2014 at 05:14 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I've shot footage with the intent on making one, but the editing is where I failed.

I wasn't capable of doing a pro level edit. I could always outsource, but haven't explored that yet.

Aug 21, 2014 at 05:24 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

StevenMI wrote:
I don't know if you would consider it a promo video, but we have one on our site. We get a TON of positive feedback about it from clients, but I don't really know if it's gotten us any bookings. I would imagine there are a few people who it helped "seal the deal" with. It definitely wasn't a waste of time because it was pretty fun to make. Ours doesn't show how we work, or interview past couples or anything though...it's really just meant to be fun and show off our personalities a little bit.

http://www.stevenandlilyphotography.com/about-us/

Great job Steven !

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:20 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

mine is on the first page of our website
www.isaacimage.com

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:22 PM
kessyud

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I DIYed my video... shot and edited the entire thing myself (well, minus the car scene). Best $0 I ever spent, clients love it.

I really just wanted something that would attract my fun goofy ideal client. I made it 2 1/2 years ago, though, so it's due time for a new one. But I agree with Tony in that I definitely didn't want to sit in a chair and talk. Ugh.

www.kellybenton.com

Aug 27, 2014 at 09:31 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I liked the one Hoffer did and have wanted to eventually put something together myself, but unless you can do it with excellence it won't put forth the right message about you and your business. I think if you want to do something like this it would be ideal to find someone that can do it for you professionally.

Aug 28, 2014 at 07:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

kessyud wrote:
I really just wanted something that would attract my fun goofy ideal client.

Are you fun and goofy?

Aug 28, 2014 at 08:29 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I have not made one yet but picked up a couple of things to make my own.

Latest version of imovie $18

Skate Board to bolt tripod head onto and board to use for rail $20

http://chrisfawkes.net/artprints/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/skateboard1.jpg
15 ft Camera crane $150

http://chrisfawkes.net/artprints/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/57.jpg

Zoom H2n recorder for sound. $150

http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/268553.jpg

Music from triple scoop. $60

Stabilizing handle $15

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/BsYAAOxyLBNR7e12/$(KGrHqN,!rkFHo!5S3IuBR7e12I3jQ~~60_35.JPG

Will likely get most of it filmed and edited over the next month. I will post a link when it is done.

I agree that I don't want to be boring people with talk about myself but I think the purpose is to let the viewer first get some sense of you then second to that how what we do benefits them.

I think people getting a sense of you as a person is less about what you say (unless it is offensive) as they will make 95% of their judgement the second they hear your voice.

So I will concentrate on the benefit and aim to keep it emotional. I was going to talk about why I use certain products but that is an intellectual benefit. Hopefully I can hook them on the emotional benefits because after that they will justify the intellectual benefits.

I like the idea of testimonials but I often see what I believe is a common mistake when businesses do that. If I am casually talking with someone who loved an experience with a particular service they will convey the excitement with tone and body language but if I put the same person in front of a camera and ask them to say the same thing they try for conviction but tend to do so in a very sombre manner.

They come across raving about the service but sounding and looking so serious they could be at a funeral.

For that reason if you go with testimonials I would coach the couple by addressing that and ask them to do it with a smile.

Just some thoughts i've had getting ready to do one so not sure if that is useful at all.

Aug 28, 2014 at 09:09 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Promo Videos - Who's got one?

I can whip something up for people who are local to me (NH) - I do mostly video work!

Sep 05, 2014 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.