FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

Hi guys

anyone here ever tried this program for calibration?

FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

http://www.reikan.co.uk/

any comments?

thanks

J.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

While you await replies to your query, may I suggest using the search feature? It will turn up dozens of threads that discuss user experiences with Focal software in detail.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

oh thanks!!!
of course I will. :-)

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

I just used it yesterday to calibrate my 400 mm with a new body I purchased.

Works like a charm.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

Lots of users, me included. I pre-ordered it before it came out and find it to be great software. It does require some planning and careful reading of the instructions. There are lots of unexpected things that affect autofocus, amount of light, detail in the image, colors, temperature, vibration, light leaking back thru the viewfinder, the list is long.

The trick to getting the best AFMA results is to control potential issues as much as possible by a careful setup. The actual test is then easy.

Rich at FoCal has done 10's of thousands of tests on many different cameras and continues to improve the software based on what he is learning.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

FoCal is a great product, I have used it for over a year. Works great never had an issue with it...
Not as automatic on the "X" but still delivers great results.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

it givens some nice parameters, like lens optimal aperture test, etc. unfortunately it does not have auto calibration on 5D Mk III and its a bit of pain to use. I have been so impressed with dot-tune MFA, which is automated if you have Magic lantern, and does not do unnecessary shutter actuations, and that is what I use, even though I have a pro license on Reikan. I feel it was a waste of money

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

Have it, not used it with my 6d lol I hardly ever autofocus now

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

Is this working with the D800 now in fully automatic? I remember it having issues.

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

It is the only way to test focus shift, so really is a must have for any serious photographer.

Aug 21, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

thank you all guys; those comments are appreciated.

I will try the Doc-tune method once again before buying something...
I must admit that my last try wasn't in the best conditions.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM
a_dee

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

I've enjoyed using focal to find my 5d2 where it was fully automatic. Now with my 5d3 it was only semi auto so not as fast or intervention free but it still did the job. For what it's worth, it helps if you have a hard time discerning sharpness with your eye. It also has an optional turbo tune method which is the same as the dot tune method.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:50 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

Josh,

Having used FoCal and others, I recommend using the Dot Tune method. It's as simple as you can get and IMHO does the job. Like with any type of calibration process you do have to be thorough and religiously follow the steps, which are quite easy. You need very good light, ie bright sunny day, no wind and unless setting for special purpose follow the recommended distance to target of 50 x the lens mm.

Good luck.

Matt

Aug 23, 2014 at 09:25 AM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

thanks Matt.
I'm waiting for the next bright sunny day!

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
ahender
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

I have seen posts that MFA is just a crutch and if your camera is not focusing properly, it should be sent with body to Canon for calibration. Is that a reasonable statement? I have tried everything in the book with my 7D and 70-200 f2.8 II lens and I just do not see the glorious sharpness everyone says I should see.

Aug 23, 2014 at 01:56 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

ahender wrote:
I have seen posts that MFA is just a crutch and if your camera is not focusing properly, it should be sent with body to Canon for calibration. Is that a reasonable statement? I have tried everything in the book with my 7D and 70-200 f2.8 II lens and I just do not see the glorious sharpness everyone says I should see.

It all depends on the individual combination of equipment. Since you haven't provided any details its difficult to assess what you have done so far. If you are NOT seeing sharpness then have you attempted AFMA using the Dot Tune method? If you have performed it, was it done at with a target distance of 50 times the lens (in your case 50 x 200mm = 10,000 or approx 33 feet)? If afterwards your combo is still soft on the short side ie 70mm and your 7D doesn't have the ability to store 2 AFMA's you will either have to decide at which length you want to do the adjustment for OR send them both into Canon (no guarantees).

If the combo doesn't improve with AFMA and you are certain the steps were religiously followed, then a trip to Canon is a good next step.

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:17 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

I have performed Dot Tune several times and followed all the steps. The 7D only allows one adjustment parameter.

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:18 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

One question concerning a step that don't seem to be clear

Do you fine-tune in AF mode?

In step 3 of the Docc-tune method, we should put Manaul mode to set the AF-Tune to 0.
But we have to go back to AF for step 4 , right?

thanks

Aug 25, 2014 at 08:32 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

ahender wrote:
I have performed Dot Tune several times and followed all the steps. The 7D only allows one adjustment parameter.

It really depends. How wide is the spread between 70mm and 200mm? If it's not that wide, then you could use an average. The other option is to use the MA setting that corresponds to the focal length you use the most.

On my 7D, my 70-200II was pretty consistent across the range, I think it turned out to be a -3, using FoCal. I haven't even bothered to MA it on my 1DMkIV - doesn't seem like it needs it.

My 100-400 had a pretty wide range when MA'd on the 7D using FoCal. I used an average for the 200-400mm focal lengths. I have also MA'd the 100-400 on the 1DMkIV using Dot-tune, and the range was much tighter.

So why the difference, problem with the 7D or the 100-400? The 7D MA'd fine on the 70-200, so that would suggest the lens has an issue. But the lens MA'd fine on the MKIV.

This crazy stuff is why I would be hesitant to send anything in to Canon to be calibrated together, especially if you have more than one body.

Mark

Edited on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM · View previous versions

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:55 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FoCal - Automatic Lens Calibration Software

For Canon bodies you should switch to MF mode after focusing the lens in LV, and leave it in manual mode for the remainder of the process. If you put it back in AF mode then the lens will refocus when you half-press the shutter while measuring the AF tune range, which you don't want.

Aug 25, 2014 at 09:55 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.