FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · on the market for a Macbook

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · on the market for a Macbook

so in the next couple of days I will be buying a Macbook pro 13 or 15 that attached to my Eizo monitor will be my main machine to process weddings, it will be for sure an improvement compared to my old Macpro so what do u macpro users have around here is i5 much much better than i7 ?? I am not worried about not having the fastest as long as it is fast enough !!! I am more interested in thunderbolt and USB 3 to save time when baking-up or working from my externals drives !!!
thanks
Jaime

Aug 21, 2014 at 08:44 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · on the market for a Macbook

I have not done side by side comparisons. But when I upgraded to an SSD it made lightroom much faster. I personally don't like the 15" because I think they are a little too big to be portable, but the 15" is a little faster. I would go for a 13" with an i7 and an SSD.

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:27 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · on the market for a Macbook

The 15" MBP has twice the L3 cache which will increase the CPU performance. The 15 can also be configured with a dedicated GPU, which, as you know, is pretty heavily relied on by OSX. If you can swing it, I'd say go with a 15 i7, with the GT750M.

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:38 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · on the market for a Macbook

I recently bought a 13" MBP, but it's not my main editing machine. I have done some limited work on it, and with the SSD it performs pretty well with Lightroom and an external USB drive. If I were purchasing a main machine I'd probably have gone for the 15" with i7, 16GB RAM, etc.

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:42 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · on the market for a Macbook

the top of the line maxed out macbook pro is not really that great, it's still a laptop. I have one (15") and if it were any slower (mainly GPU) then I would probably go back to my desktop PC.

definitely max it out with the exception of the SSD (512gb is fine). the ultimate benefit of course is the portability. I love editing on the go and having the convenience of a computer wherever I am.

good luck!

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · on the market for a Macbook

thanks a lot for the answers, very helpful first hand info !!

happy shooting and happier editing !!!

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:51 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · on the market for a Macbook

I just got a new MBP 15" and it is faaaaaast. I was going to get a 13" for portability, but honestly the only time I need portability like that is a plane, and on a plane I use an iPad and don't do work, but that's just me.

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:01 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · on the market for a Macbook

Why not a Mac mini? Or do you crave the portability? You can get a fully worked Mac mini for half what a Macbook costs.

For me the PITA is how you can't upgrade the newer Macbooks. I put an 1 TB SSD and 16GB of ram in my 17" Macbook Pro and it's still awesome with LR and PS. Yet Mac only have a 256SSD option which is daft for a portable. The SSD makes a huge difference when loading raw files a thousand at a time.

I hooked up my new Mac Pro yesterday. Only quad core but man is it quick. It loads Sony A7R files instantly.

Gordon

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:30 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · on the market for a Macbook

I recently went from an 08 Macbook Pro 2.53 ghz, I upgraded with 6 gigs of ram and an SSD and it was pretty slow with all the OSX updates and 5D3 files. So I checked out the refurb section at Apple and got a 15" 2.6GHz i7 with 16 gigs of ram with an SSD and comparatively it's insane. Flies through files and exports. So it should last a couple of years until the new OSX comes out and they keep updating software to make your hardware seem slower.

Aug 21, 2014 at 05:02 PM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · on the market for a Macbook

I just brought the new 15" 2.5ghz Mac Book Pro with 16gig of RAM and 512gb SSD with the dual graphics card 750M 2gb.
Its pretty darn fast. Much faster than my trusty 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo.
I think as long as you keep the SSD relatively free, process on a thunderbolt connected SSD or fast HDD you should be very happy.
The new Mac Pro is overkill unless you need the dual graphics cards for video work or 4K, otherwise the CPU performance on the mac book pro and imac are comparable to the quad core mac pro.

Aug 21, 2014 at 06:19 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · on the market for a Macbook

thank you again guys, I think I will sacrifice speed of processing in real time, I am not that quick myself, for mobility between my home and my studio and the speed of backing up so the macbook pro 13 will be to day at home, its first speed test will be my son king of gaming !!!
some other time I will get a BIG Macpro !!!

Any way I sure will be very happy comparing it with my old Macpro 1.1 😊

Aug 22, 2014 at 05:14 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.