Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

Josh Jones
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

Loved the wedding we got to shoot this past weekend. It was actually one of those weddings where you are sad when it's over.

With three very different musical acts throughout the day, it was almost like Battle of the Bands: Wedding Edition. First up was a good friend of theirs, who is an extremely talented banjo player. Up next was The Reggie Sullivan Band, a big 4 piece band complete with a 8' double bass and some killer singers. To finish it off they had two very talented electronic music artists down from New York City (how awesome is that!). A local venue here in Greenville SC, called Zen set the stage for the whole event, with it's sophisticated yet colorful ambiance, and modern but classy vibe.

As always, let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking! As always let me know what you think!

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:11 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

Wwwwub-wub-wub.

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:44 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

heavy on the reflection stuff
you really didnt need to do it like 12 times. it worked like 2 times with the dress and cake etc. but your stuff is really really good without it.
nice job

Aug 20, 2014 at 08:56 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

how did you get the motion blur in #34?

second curtain sync wide open?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

That's not motion.

Aug 21, 2014 at 04:45 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

hardlyboring wrote:
you really didnt need to do it like 12 times. it worked like 2 times with the dress and cake etc. but your stuff is really really good without it.
nice job

I only counted three.

Aug 21, 2014 at 04:48 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

Always great work, Josh. Letter 0 is amazing. Im always a fan of your underexposed sky sillouettes and its great to see you pushing the compositions.

Aug 21, 2014 at 06:51 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

2. A really cool shot, got to use some cool reflections there, I would have figured out away to clone out the waiters, though. To another topic I have been reading and working on lately, is honesty. Why was the dress hanging in the reception room? Did the bride put it there? Was she getting ready there? While it was a cool image, there isn't much honesty in it. Something I have been working on lately is trying to not necessarily just using visual pyrotechnics as a method just to use them, but using them in a context in which makes sense so the images have some truth to them.

Yes, I am probably just overthinking everything as it's a badass image (minus the waiter, get rid of him), but I would challenge yourself to think "truth" when shooting.

37 - was awesome, really genuine.

On the topic of 38, what does that backlit flash bring to the table in that image? Nothing. Just a weird shadow. It doesn't pull them out of the background at all, it just looks weird. There's so much contrast in light in that image, it deserves to be black and white and use one where the flash didn't go off. It would feel much more real (in my humble uneducated opinion).

39, the flash (while a little hot) pulled them out of the background and gave the image a bit more life.

Think content first, then use our fancy wizardry with flashes.

Overall, clean and crisp. Enjoyed them!!!

Edited on Aug 21, 2014 at 07:30 AM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2014 at 07:22 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

agreed re: 38 - the bushes are already lit up enough that seperation would have been abundant, IMO.

Aug 21, 2014 at 07:25 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

DannyBostwick wrote:
2. A really cool shot, got to use some cool reflections there, I would have figured out away to clone out the waiters, though. To another topic I have been reading and working on lately, is honesty. Why was the dress hanging in the reception room? Did the bride put it there? Was she getting ready there? While it was a cool image, there isn't much honesty in it. Something I have been working on lately is trying to not necessarily just using visual pyrotechnics as a method just to use them, but using them in a context in which
...Show more

I dont understand this. We do all kinds of manipulations and alterations to things when shooting, right? To me, this is a portrait of the dress. With all of the importance brides and the media place on "the dress", why should it be showcased in the ugly spot the bride decided to hang it?

Aug 21, 2014 at 01:25 PM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

hardlyboring wrote:
nice job

The venue is pretty heavy on glass and it's pretty fitting. Looking back through these there are really only reflections on 3-4 of them.

---------------------------------------------

jamesmorophoto wrote:
how did you get the motion blur in #34?

second curtain sync wide open?

Yup no motion blur, just shooting through some candles on a table.

JakAHearts wrote:
Always great work, Josh. Letter 0 is amazing. Im always a fan of your underexposed sky sillouettes and its great to see you pushing the compositions.

Thank you sir! When are you moving down here!?

DannyBostwick wrote:
2. A really cool shot, got to use some cool reflections there, I would have figured out away to clone out the waiters, though. To another topic I have been reading and working on lately, is honesty. Why was the dress hanging in the reception room? Did the bride put it there? Was she getting ready there? While it was a cool image, there isn't much honesty in it. Something I have been working on lately is trying to not necessarily just using visual pyrotechnics as a method just to use them, but using them in a context in which
...Show more

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I completely agree on number 2, it should be cloned out, but I forgot to before I posted the images.

Believe it or not the bride did actually get ready in the reception room. The room they originally had her in had no window light and a lot of distractions so I moved her into the reception room just outside her room so I could get some good lighting, and scenery.

Aug 21, 2014 at 01:51 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

Josh Jones wrote:
The venue is pretty heavy on glass and it's pretty fitting. Looking back through these there are really only reflections on 3-4 of them.

Yup no motion blur, just shooting through some candles on a table.

Thank you sir! When are you moving down here!?

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I completely agree on number 2, it should be cloned out, but I forgot to before I posted the images.

Believe it or not the bride did actually get ready in the reception room. The room they originally had her in had no window light and a lot of distractions so I moved
...Show more

Awesome, then I retract my previous statement! Epic way to be proactive.

Aug 21, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

Shot my first wedding last Friday.Yep I suck.You confirmed it. Love the compositions and exposures. Doug M

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:00 PM
pattyw
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I shot a dubstep wedding! (43 Images)

39... whoa!!

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.