Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

rishio media

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

I just bought my first lens adapter for my Sony A7s. The Fotodiox FD-Nex adapter. I put it on a couple times and have decided to return it because it takes about 5 times the strength to mount it onto the eMount as compared to a normal eMount lens. Does anyone else experience this issue? Any recommendations for safe adapters for the M42 and FD mount to eMount? I don't want an adapter that feels like it's going to damage the mount on my $2500 camera! It makes me feel that maybe mounting third party lenses is not a good idea on an expensive camera like the A7s.

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:38 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

Yeah, the Fotodiox adapters can be a lottery sometimes. Was it the regular adapter or the "pro" model? I've had better luck with them on the pros. Their customer service is excellent though. Let them know about the problem and I'm sure they'll work with you on it.

That said, there are other, in my opinion, better adapters out there. The three Novoflex adapters I own fit like OEM mounts, and FD has no moving parts, so you don't have to deal with remembering to lock the ring to activate aperture control.

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:26 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

Other than the Metabones III adapter for my Canon EF lenses, I only bought cheap adapters and made excellent experience with all of them:

Fotga MD-NEX
Fotasy FD-NEX
Fotasy M42-NEX
Fotasy LM-NEX

I never experienced a problem where it was hard to mount any of the adapters on my A7R or the lens onto the adapter.

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:48 PM
rishio media

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

Thanks. I just ordered the Fotasy M42-NEX and I'm thinking of ordering the Fotasy FD-NEX as well even though the reviews on amazon give it a poor rating. It's $15 instead of $300 I see for the expensive adapters! Hopefully it works out..

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:13 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

rishio media wrote:
Thanks. I just ordered the Fotasy M42-NEX and I'm thinking of ordering the Fotasy FD-NEX as well even though the reviews on amazon give it a poor rating. It's $15 instead of $300 I see for the expensive adapters! Hopefully it works out..

My advice from my personal experience....go for it and skip the expensive one...not worth to spend more. . If something is not okay, you can always send it back and didn't vest much upfront.

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:17 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

As addendum: I found it very useful to get a few cheap E-mount lens caps for the back that you can leave the adapter mounted on the lens when you detach it from the camera. This way you can easily switch different kind of adapter-lens combinations if needed.

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:21 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

My first $400 Metabones EOS to FE mount was super tight, needing a very hard turn to get in place. Returned and got a better one, but still quite tight.
My $10 Fotasy C/Y to FE mount is just about perfect, but it seems like a crap shoot whether or not you get a good one, as several FMers have had issues with theirs.

Good luck on getting good ones and saving money. It doesn't hurt to try.

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:29 PM
rishio media

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

I just got my second adapter and that is too tight as well. So my Fotdiox fd-emount and Fotasy m42-emount are both too tight. It scares me as hell to force it on! Now I have my new Zeiss 135mm f/3.4 and Canon 20mm f/2.8 sitting on the shelf, restless...

I suppose I can try to order some more. It just seems odd that my very first two adapters from different companies were both too tight.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:52 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

Kipon adaptors mounted easily on my nex , the g mount ones are not good for fine tuning focus, not an issue for your use

Not sure what adaptations they have but they are inexpensive and generally better than fotodiox IMO which I returned after two days.

Maybe see if they offer so,unions for you.

Metabones are expensive but ime the best I've used looks like the kipon are around $70 for fd
Photos sure for other applications but the screw mount kipon is mounted to the camera then the lens to the adaptor. Vs the metabones which as stated above is best left on the lens and capped with a generic

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM
rishio media

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

I'd get Kipon if it was on Amazon but it looks like the only place to get them is eBay. Since they are $70, it seems like too much of a risk to me since I won't be able to return them easily if they don't work out.

Harder to find the right adapter than I thought!!

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:01 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

retrofocus wrote:
Other than the Metabones III adapter for my Canon EF lenses, I only bought cheap adapters and made excellent experience with all of them:

Fotga MD-NEX
Fotasy FD-NEX
Fotasy M42-NEX
Fotasy LM-NEX

I never experienced a problem where it was hard to mount any of the adapters on my A7R or the lens onto the adapter.

I didn't have the metabones I had a tech art, fotga, and fotasy and all we're excellent and real cheap(except the tech art) lol

Aug 21, 2014 at 09:23 AM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

I have an A7 and A7s and they tightened up the mount for the later s model. I have several adapters that are difficult to mount on the a7s that mount easily on the a7 (including a hawks v3 m to e helicoid).

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

darrellc wrote:
I have an A7 and A7s and they tightened up the mount for the later s model. I have several adapters that are difficult to mount on the a7s that mount easily on the a7 (including a hawks v3 m to e helicoid).

Very interesting observation which can explain why the OP sees the issues with the adapters. Also important to know for others who need adapters on their A7S camera.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can lens adapters ruin your lens mount?

I bought once a Fotga adapter PK to NEX on which there was no way to fit a PK lens on it.
I never buy Fotga again, they have an ugly finish as well.
And A7r need better adapters except for Leica M, M42 and Canon FD, all the others give reflections on the lens, Especially with the longer FL's.
I just bought a nice tough all blach Novoflex adapter to put my MD lenses on the A7r

Aug 21, 2014 at 02:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.