New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Window Reflections

Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Window Reflections

Thoughts, suggestions appreciated. I felt B/W was a good choice since the window frame is a light grey. One of the Oak trees reflecting from the window in my garden shed.

Edited on Aug 21, 2014 at 03:57 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Window Reflections

Your choice of crop to the edge of the window frame is a bit, hmmmm for me. I'm wondering if a bit of negative space could "frame the frame".

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Window Reflections

Just doesn't work for me. The window frame to be the border, ins't bordering the image, only a portion of it.

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:28 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Window Reflections

Points taken in regards to framing. Thanks for the comments.

Aug 20, 2014 at 05:06 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Window Reflections

I agree about the framing - two unbounded edges let the eye freely roam off image. It is an interesting concept and certainly merits further exploration.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 20, 2014 at 05:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Window Reflections

Bob Jarman wrote:
I agree about the framing - two unbounded edges let the eye freely roam off image. It is an interesting concept and certainly merits further exploration.

Regards,

Bob

+1 @ "out of the box" ... hmmm @ utility

Aug 20, 2014 at 08:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Window Reflections

the crop creates an unfinished, incomplete feel, with only half the panes on the left
is that a statement you are trying to make?

Scott

Aug 20, 2014 at 08:37 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Window Reflections

Bob, thanks for your opinion.

Kent, not sure what to say. I was trying something a little different.

Scott, I was attempting to draw the eye to the tree reflection with somewhat conventional framing. I realize it wasn't the best choice.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Window Reflections

BenV, thank you for your comment.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Window Reflections

I also thought it needs a frame... but I'll give a different suggestion.
Use a real frame. One of the FM frames when uploading, or printed in a real frame...

i like the reflection indeed. odd that only the top shows bark detail.. i'm curious why that is?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Window Reflections

+1 @ a Fred FM frame.

I dig the "trying different" part ... that was part of the "hmmmm". It wasn't an "I don't like" ... it is more of "this is out of the box, I might have to adjust myself to it". I was wanting to "run out of it", so I was thinking either some negative space or a frame to hold us in a bit.

I was really curious to see how it would like with negative space on just the same two sides (right/bottom) as the window frame with sort of an inverted Golden Mean kinda comp. Might be hard to describe, full image available to show?

Aug 21, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Window Reflections

John, frame idea would solve the eye leaving the frame issue. I'll need to take a closer look and try to figure out the reason the lower reflection is softer.

Kent, yes I have the full image which I can post. I do understand what you're saying. I did edit the original and added a frame.

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Window Reflections

Here is an updated crop from a different image taken today. I choose not to crop equally but just with additional room on the sides. I am also uploading a full new version so anyone who may like to have a go at it feel free.

Kent, the second image is not from the original as I shot it very tight like shown. I re-took the image to have more room for cropping. I prefer this image as it has 2 trees in the reflection versus the first image which has only one.

Aug 21, 2014 at 05:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Window Reflections

I rather like the wide view, although I wonder if a different vertical camera position might have moved the eve shadow off the glass?

Aug 22, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Window Reflections

I thought about the eve shadow but it could be improved by shooting from a higher angle.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Window Reflections

I like the reshoot inclusion of the second tree as well. Might like the angle to be a bit diff (or time of day) to mitigate the tone/shadow in the upper pane.

Here's an illustration of the negative space framing I was thinking about using just the two sides (right/bottom) with some added negative space, leaving the other two (left/top) opened up. This was mostly in respect to the original image, but figured I'd play / illustrate the concept here. May/may not be ideal for the second image, but the first image spawned the concept.

Aug 23, 2014 at 08:32 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Window Reflections

Kent, interesting crop, One I would not have thought of. You come up with some interesting ideas.

Aug 23, 2014 at 02:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Window Reflections

I would love to contribute to this thread but mostly I am just sort of learning.

Aug 23, 2014 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.