New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

I suppose if you are really curious you could tape over the aperture contacts on the camera (I think the three on the left?) and then see what happens with an EF lens mounted.

If that worked, you could at least tell Canon you think the problem is with those contacts.

Mark

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:39 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

msalvetti wrote:
I suppose if you are really curious you could tape over the aperture contacts on the camera (I think the three on the left?) and then see what happens with an EF lens mounted.

If that worked, you could at least tell Canon you think the problem is with those contacts.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. After taping the body pins, I can now shoot frames, but still cannot AF. Like you said, at least it's more information that I can provide CPS when I drop the body off for service.

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:03 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

Quick update: dropped the camera off at CPS at around noon today. By 2:30, I had received an estimate that the repair would be done under a flat rate repair charge of $219 ($153 after CPS discount). The estimate didn't list the specific repairs, but I'm sure I'll get that when I pick the camera up. I'll update the thread at that time to close it out.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and humor

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:47 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

Soooo... a little update one month later. I still have not received the camera back from CPS.

After the initial inspection and quote of about $150, they sent me a revised quote that informed me of several parts that were "corroded" and would need replacement. The new estimate was $450 (incl. discount). I approved the repair and patiently waited a week and regularly checked repair status online. Then two weeks. Called for a status update and was told they were waiting for some software to be sent from Japan. Sounded weird, but ok. After another week, called again and was told they were waiting for a part and had no ETA for me. That was a week ago. Still no camera and no expected date of completion. CPS won't let you speak to a tech, so I really don't know what's up, but I'm more than a bit surprised that any repair could take a month. Fortunately, I do have another camera, but it's a bit worrisome to have an expensive camera out for repair for a month with no telling when it will be returned.

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:22 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

Wow, that does sound strange. I figured they fixed it long ago. I guess I can see waiting for a part, but the waiting for software bit makes it sound like you didn't get the whole story. That's hard to understand.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Mark

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:38 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

msalvetti wrote:
Wow, that does sound strange. I figured they fixed it long ago. I guess I can see waiting for a part, but the waiting for software bit makes it sound like you didn't get the whole story. That's hard to understand.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Mark

Thanks, Mark, and yeah, I do feel like I'm not getting the whole story, but I'll trust that CPS know what they're doing and that I'll get the camera back eventually. Hopefully soon .

Sep 22, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

Prevelige wrote:
Things like this would NEVER happen if you shot with a Nikon

Bob

Of course not, the Nikon would be getting repaired for oil damage and would have no chance to fit a lens
http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/fuck.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM
rrxjon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

You should've been sent a CPS loaner, surely, after this much of time?

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

rrxjon wrote:
You should've been sent a CPS loaner, surely, after this much of time?

Oh, they offered that, but I don't really like the idea of "borrowing" gear. It would be a hassle to insure it while I'm using it and such...

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

Wow mitesh, sorry to hear of your hassle.. Hope you see it soon!

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

IndyFab wrote:
Wow mitesh, sorry to hear of your hassle.. Hope you see it soon!

Thanks, Joe... stuff happens, I'll live

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM
brimull
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 1D Mark IV showing ERR 01

That's an astounding length of time!

It sounds like they are "fixing" various things but not resolving the problem...or, their fixes have caused other problems. Hopefully they will at some point stumble upon the right fix.

It's speculation, but CPS might be reluctant to make such an admission.

Brian M.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.