Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Rang Nikon Australia today and asked them about the "D810 Long Exposure white dots noise issue". They said to bring it in and they would fix it with a firmware update that takes less than 45 minutes. This firmware could not be implemented in the usual way over the internet and needed to be done in house, but no dismantling of the camera just a simple firmware update.

Anyway, I have had mine done, even though I did not see any issues with it previous to this but I thought I would get it done just to have peace of mind.

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:27 AM
AtomicPunk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Thanks Lance. Do you mind posting your firmware versions from the camera so we can compare them to an unfixed camera. Thanks

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:40 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

I don't know that it will show anything as mine was rather clean before the "fix" anyway.

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:53 AM
AtomicPunk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

I'm sorry Lance my English to Australian translation may not be very good
I was just asking you to post your firmware version number to see if it changed. No need to post a picture unless you really want to.

Aug 20, 2014 at 04:39 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

AtomicPunk wrote:
I'm sorry Lance my English to Australian translation may not be very good
I was just asking you to post your firmware version number to see if it changed. No need to post a picture unless you really want to.

Nothing wrong with your "English to Australian translation", it's idiot me has the problem with "text to brain" comprehension!

Anyway, I'm glad you asked as I completely forgot to look at the firmware version. The D810 now shows firmware version C 1.01 whereas I am sure it was C 1.00 previously.

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:57 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Lance B wrote:
Nothing wrong with your "English to Australian translation", it's idiot me has the problem with "text to brain" comprehension!

Anyway, I'm glad you asked as I completely forgot to look at the firmware version. The D810 now shows firmware version C 1.01 whereas I am sure it was C 1.00 previously.

Yes my unfixed D810 is C 1.00, so the next question is will Nikon send this out to their Authorized Repair Stations so many more people will be able to get a walk in repair.

Aug 20, 2014 at 07:51 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

i'm pretty sure that the firmware update procedure is not any different than any other firmware update but they want your camera do not only update the firmware but also implement the black dot in the tripod socket and lastly log your camera into the DB them selves to make sure its being tracked. 2 things they are doing that can not be done if they just "give" the firmware patch over the internet for anyone to download.

Aug 20, 2014 at 09:27 AM
AtomicPunk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Thanks. I was only joking around anyway with the translation comment. Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will be useful to many.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:53 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Just sent mine in, here are my pre-fixed firmware numbers:

C: 1.00
L: 2.005

I'll update them once I get the camera back.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:15 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Lance B wrote:
They said to bring it in and they would fix it with a firmware update that takes less than 45 minutes.

Or, if you have to deal with Nikon Canada, you will be without your camera for four to six weeks, plus the shipping time each way...

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:17 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

molson wrote:
Or, if you have to deal with Nikon Canada, you will be without your camera for four to six weeks, plus the shipping time each way...

Sounds like you've had a single bad experience that you're making blanket statements based on. I've never heard of Nikon Canada taking nearly that long for anything, let alone a 20 min firmware update. I know a number of people who have used Nikon Canada's services and they have been awesome with fast turnaround times. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with them, but for anyone wondering, 6 week turnaround times are not the norm.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:38 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Ugh, I wish they would just give the firmware out for download. I'm about to leave for a trip, I can't send it in.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:44 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

I would think that most people would be willing to update the Nikon database through a web site when they apply the firmware update themselves, rather than loose their camera for a few weeks. If it's just a firmware update, the approach does seem odd. What happens when nikon release a normal firmware update in the future, will people need to send their bodies in every time?

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:47 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

OccAeon wrote:
Ugh, I wish they would just give the firmware out for download. I'm about to leave for a trip, I can't send it in.

Just deal with it when you're home. Turn on long exposure NR if you are doing super long exposures. Problem solved. Or use astro NR or edge NR in NX-D, which removes it on the photos you may have with long exposures. Don't let it affect your vacation.

Nikon Canada told me today the following when I asked why users can't update the FW:

"We will monitor public responses and study that possibility. For now, the firmware update and adjustment can only be done with a technician's computerized machinery".

So, everyone should send Nikon an email asking for a user FW update

Edited on Aug 20, 2014 at 01:57 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Adam73
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

I thought the reason it had to be sent in was because of the firmware but also the sensor needed to be adjusted. If its just a simple Firmware there is no need to be sent in.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:55 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

Adam73 wrote:
I thought the reason it had to be sent in was because of the firmware but also the sensor needed to be adjusted. If its just a simple Firmware there is no need to be sent in.

I have no idea exactly what they do, but that's what they told me. I do know that they don't open up the camera at all, and it's just firmware based.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:58 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

CanadaMark wrote:
Sounds like you've had a single bad experience that you're making blanket statements based on. I've never heard of Nikon Canada taking nearly that long for anything, let alone a 20 min firmware update. I know a number of people who have used Nikon Canada's services and they have been awesome with fast turnaround times. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with them, but for anyone wondering, 6 week turnaround times are not the norm.

It sounds like you're speaking from ZERO personal experience, as usual... a.k.a. the "Internet Fanboy Syndrome"

I've been dealing with Nikon Canada for about 30 years, and they rarely, if ever, take less than 4 to 6 weeks to do anything, including a "20 minute firmware update"... and that doesn't include the frequent need to send your gear back more than once to get the fix done properly.

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:02 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

molson wrote:
It sounds like you're speaking from ZERO personal experience, as usual... a.k.a. the "Internet Fanboy Syndrome"

I've been dealing with Nikon Canada for about 30 years, and they rarely, if ever, take less than 4 to 6 weeks to do anything, including a "20 minute firmware update"... and that doesn't include the frequent need to send your gear back more than once to get the fix done properly.

Haha "as usual". Good one.

I'm sorry for your abnormally bad experience dealing with Nikon Canada. Myself, nor the numerous colleagues I have (both casual and professional shooters) have had generally very good dealings with Nikon Canada. Even using today as a small example, I have yet to wait more than 5 minutes for an email reply from them.

I'm not calling you a liar, but don't go around assuming your experience applies to everyone, because from what I can tell by you post history and what other members think of you in general, it rarely does.

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:18 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

hijazist wrote:
"because from what I can tell by you post history and what other members think of you in general, it rarely does"

We don't do personal attacks here especially in such fashion, and we don't want to start doing that. His posting history goes back to 2002 with over 10 thousand posts and over 250 positive feedbacks in the B&S forum. I might not agree with many things molson posts, but your comment is uncalled for and unappreciated.

That wasn't a "personal attack", we aren't in grade 2 here.

And what of his "personal attack" on me? Is that allowed just because he signed up in 2002? Haha

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:35 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D810 Long Exposure thermal noise firmware fix done in less then 45 minutes

"because from what I can tell by you post history and what other members think of you in general, it rarely does"

We don't do personal attacks here especially in such fashion, and we don't want to start doing that. His posting history goes back to 2002 with over 10 thousand posts and over 250 positive feedbacks in the B&S forum. I might not agree with many things molson posts, but your comment is uncalled for and unappreciated...

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.