Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Need some rx100 advice please.

h00ligan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some rx100 advice please.

I've mentioned before I'm quite injured (my spine) and so I decided to upgrade from the m1 initially for the titlty screen and backlit sensor. However I'm now considering whether to pay more for the m3.

I own the addon evf for the m2 already as I own a rx1.

Imaging resource concluded prints were actually better with the m2( they aren't clear enough IMO on some things) but I think it was based on jpg output. . Dpreview concluded more fine detail was held in shadows at mid Iso with the m2 in raw. But I don't think much of their reviews or testing, not to dismiss them totally. But they are consistently inconsistent.

Dxo indicates ISO improvement is negligible . I don't need the added zoom range outside parties particularly nor do I shoot movies much. I do shoot indoors a lot.

What I do think may be useful is the play memories tap to focus app the m3 offers. Is it correct the m2 can release remotely but that's about it?

I find 28 mm to be a no mans land in most cases, I use pano mode if I want wide typically.

For people I'm used to 24 mm characteristics from my canon setup while 28 perspective looks just odd to me, it's not wide enough to use creatively and too wide to shoot remotely close to subjects, so I never get to see 1.8 aperture.
I tend to favor 24, 35, 50, 135mm primes in dslr

By 35mm or so the m3 has about a half stop advantage in aperture I believe. It's 2.8 vs 3.5 not much admittedly

I've looked at files from both. The jpg engine is very different, m3 sharper but at higher iso it gets really weird interacting with nr. I shoot raw so I doubt iq will be much different.

with this small of a camera and a tilt screen I doubt I'd use the built in or addon evf much. I'm 6'5" so 90 degree screen just below chest hits the right spot without a bunch of ducking and avoiding camera to eye also makes easier candids. In bright light perhaps. I wear glasses usually not comtacts and think the addon superior from my reading to the inbuilt

Overall iq seems nearly identical and half a stop seems minor. Led me to the m2. But given this is going to be the daily camera perhaps the better phone integration, wider angle, and brighter lems, and other features warrant the added expense. I'm unsure of any improvements in af but faster operational speed can't hurt, I don't find the m1 slow, I never felt stabilization was bad. I don't care about the full selfie tilt. Lol.

Anyone move from m2 to 3 and have comments outside the evf or jpg sharpening?

Sorry to create a topic for this but it had to be the one camera for a while. I e read as much as I could find on the site.

Thank you all for your time and I appreciate any advice. DPreview forums just can't offer the same insight as the cyber shot forum is mostly populated by gear hounds and inexperienced shooters. Ultimately does anyone feel the added cost is worth it given my comments above. Appreciate all comments

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:38 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some rx100 advice please.

The EVF is handy at times, but not imperative. I like having the option, but don't use it all that much as its not that enjoyable.

IQ is similar I'd never be able to tell them apart in an A/B challenge.

The slightly wider focal length I do find useful, even though your giving up some reach. I shot wide more than I shoot tele.

The added speed I don't really notice that much either, though its nice to have, because I'm mainly shooting it wide, where the mk1 and II are actually faster, at least at 28mm.

I think if its an only camera, then its worth the upgrade. If its more of a camera your just carrying as a backup on vacation, outing when you don't want to carry anything larger, then probably not worth it over the other versions.

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:52 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some rx100 advice please.

The two carry cameras are the rx1 and 100m?

Doesn't sound like you think it's worth the difference particularly for my use. Have you used the play memories apps?

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:25 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some rx100 advice please.

h00ligan wrote:
The two carry cameras are the rx1 and 100m?

Doesn't sound like you think it's worth the difference particularly for my use. Have you used the play memories apps?

I have, and it works pretty well. Used the app a fair bit on my A7 for some camera on top of a monopod high angle stuff just recently.

Its got some creative possibility, but I personally don't really do the whole transfer images to smart phone thing. I don't shoot anything that I'm dying to share via Facebook etc when on vacation.

I wrote up a pretty in depth thread about the mk3 impressions, might be helpful if you haven't already read it.

Looking back though, I basically use the camera the same way, as a pocket/backup role, so I could of probably just stuck with the MK1 version and been fine.

Honestly the most useful improvement for me is simple the ND filter, at I could never shoot wide open at 1/2000th otherwise with the old one

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:39 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some rx100 advice please.

Yah with the m1/2 wide open at 35mm or up isn't an issue

I did read the thread. Very informative. Thannks

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:09 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.