Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Question about hummingbirds

bs kite
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about hummingbirds

Is anybody else in northern latitudes finding that their hummingbirds are leaving?

It was a chilly night here in Maine last night and tonight it will be the same.

My hummers are gone….at least for today and up until now. Before today they showed up every few minutes at my feeder.

This has been the first time I've tried to attract them. Are they this sensitive to chilly temps or do you think their is another reason for their leaving?

Maybe they will be here tomorrow.

Robert King
www.itsaboutnature.net

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:32 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about hummingbirds

From all that I have read, the adult males may start to migrate south as early as mid July with the peak migration being late August early September.

The though is that the shortening days may trigger the migration and not temperatures or lack of food.

I am in the south and have already noticed that I have not seen my adult male Ruby Throats for a couple of days.
Hopefully some that are coming from your way, will stop here on their way further south

Birdie

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about hummingbirds

September 17th last year was the last day I saw a Ruby-throat (mid-Atlantic).
Not sure how many weeks earlier they would leave from Maine.
I looked for a migration USA fall map but can't find one

Has anyone found a link of them departing dates for each state?

BeeBalm

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:16 AM
bs kite
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about hummingbirds

Very interesting Birdied.

I never would have thought it would be that early.

But it does make sense if one thinks about their metabolism.

What else is interesting to think about is why they ever bother to come up north in the first place. What a trip for a tiny thing that has a metabolic rate such as that. I've often wondered, how is it that they are able to take in enough energy along the way to sustain themselves? Ahh, the diversity of late flowers.

And a little off the subject: as far as states that are abundant with wildlife, you are living in one of the best. packed with 24 National Wildlife Refuges. …tied for 3rd with Washington State, behind California and then Florida.

Louisiana is very rich with wildlife. Thanks for the info.

And BeeBalm….good question. I am now interested in finding out all I can about them.

Robert
www.itsaboutnature.net

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about hummingbirds

I wonder that too Richard. Why not just stay in South America. Is it because it up too hot for them?
And what temperature is too hot? And what temp is to cold for them?
BeeBalm

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:30 AM
bs kite
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about hummingbirds

Here is a link that I discovered several months ago and have found to be full of information. Just read about the Ruby-throated.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Archilochus_colubris/

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about hummingbirds

The perceived wisdom is they migrate to avoid competition for nesting and food. This link may prove useful.
Best,
Phil

http://www.hummingbirds.net/migration.html

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:47 AM
bs kite
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about hummingbirds

I have been studying wildlife my entire life and as simple as it may sound, I have honestly come to believe (rather, let's say wonder if it is true) they migrate because they can; i.e. let's take a trip and enjoy the northern Summer.

That's what we do; why not them too? In fact, it is easier for them because they are not locked into the demands of capitalism . And they do not own things. If they want to head north, the only limiting factor is intolerably low temperatures, so it seems that if you are a healthy bird...northern Summers in the northern hemisphere are very attractive. In the southern hemisphere it would be the opposite…..right?

Robert King
www.itsaboutnature.net

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:49 AM
bs kite
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about hummingbirds

philshoots wrote:
The perceived wisdom is they migrate to avoid competition for nesting and food. This link may prove useful.
Best,
Phil

This article is fascinating! And they are right…...dispersal of the population is a good strategy for gaining enough energy during reproduction.

500 miles non-stop! 18-20+ hours, non-stop! Unbelievable that they would even attempt it. And yes, the author says that the nectar is simply fuel for the catching of insects and arachnids…….. of course….the protein!

Back to the article. And thanks.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:01 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about hummingbirds

Here in Hanover Park, Illinois, I still have 2 adult females and a lone male coming to my feeder but in ever decreasing frequency. No sign of young ones

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bs kite
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about hummingbirds

Gotcha sritri

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:09 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about hummingbirds

philshoots wrote:
Best,
Phil

So interesting - thank you Phil.
Found out answer to my question. They don't leave do to the colder weather but from having less sunlight when Autumn approaches.
So hopefully they will always leave mid-September in my area!
I thought they may leave earlier do to an abnormal chilly summer this year.
BeeBalm

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:11 AM
Bruce n Philly
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about hummingbirds

This was an odd year for Hummers in Philly. Arrived very late, not many, and now disappearing.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:21 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question about hummingbirds

I've observed geese starting to gather in NYC. This feels early to me

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:25 AM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question about hummingbirds

You know how we see a flock of geese flying south for the winter in the sky?
I never see a hummer flying south during its many hours of their long journey South
So how high up in the sky do hummers fly going south?
Thanks in advance!
BeeBalm

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:09 AM
rwingsfan
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question about hummingbirds

Here in Iowa I have ruby throats almost all summer. This year as in past years the end of July usually means the disappearing act. They stay gone for about three weeks and then slowly build up again on the fall migration. This past week has seen a pickup in numbers and frequency. In the next couple they should arrive at the rate of 1-2 per couple minutes. We normally only get ruby throats, but occasionally on the migration I have seen a rufous and a couple of Anna's. I like seeing the different varieties on the migration. On another note they sure become competitive this time of year. Right now I have a particularly obnoxious female who tries to defend all six feeders LoL. I have worked over the last few years to provide not only feeders, but I have planted quite a bit of hummer friendly flowers and shrubs along with some perches for them while waiting their chance at the feeder.

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:31 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question about hummingbirds

The fall migration for many birds starts in August and slowly picks up speed until what we would call fall. For what it's worth I still have numerous Rufous, who tend to be early migrators, at my place in Washington at 47+ degrees north. Just the other night it was in the high 40's F.

Tim

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question about hummingbirds

birdied wrote:
From all that I have read, the adult males may start to migrate south as early as mid July with the peak migration being late August early September.

The though is that the shortening days may trigger the migration and not temperatures or lack of food.

I am in the south and have already noticed that I have not seen my adult male Ruby Throats for a couple of days.
Hopefully some that are coming from your way, will stop here on their way further south

Birdie

Absolutely right on Birdie. The adult male RTH are the first to arrive and the first to leave.

Ted

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:56 PM
grendel64

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question about hummingbirds

Still had at least two visiting yesterday, looked young to me. I'm about 5 hrs north of Lake Superior...

Aug 23, 2014 at 03:44 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password