FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Scenario--

DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scenario--

Your a fairly experience photographer, you hate pinteresty, trendy, nonsense. Your on a roll, then a few bridesmaids say, let's do the ________ shot. Okay, cool, I aim to please, sure. Then the rest of the day it's no, let's try ___________ instead. All of which are ridiculous and make you cringe. How do you politely tell her no, this is pointless? Is it pointless? How do you stay doing what fires you up when bridesmaids take over? We know what's timeless, we know what goes on the wall, what goes in the album, how do you relay that without coming off like a jerk?

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scenario--

Hey ladies so the bride hired me for my style, I'm gonna just do my thing mmk? /put on sunglasses slowly while doing the finger pistol then blow on your finger before holstering it

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scenario--

I pull the bride aside after the second suggestion and without sounding like I hate pinterest ask her what direction she would like the pictures to go. I try to ask her whether she prefers going through pinterest stuff or use my direction.

Bridesmaids love to forget the day is not about them when it comes time for wedding party pictures. This is not an uncommon problem unfortunately. All they are trying to do is have fun. To them its not about the pictures as odd as that might sound.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scenario--

I was thinking more along the lines of a brand of BB gun recommendation, but good suggestions so far.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scenario--

DannyBostwick wrote:
Your a fairly experience photographer, you hate pinteresty, trendy, nonsense. Your on a roll, then a few bridesmaids say, let's do the ________ shot. Okay, cool, I aim to please, sure. Then the rest of the day it's no, let's try ___________ instead. All of which are ridiculous and make you cringe. How do you politely tell her no, this is pointless? Is it pointless? How do you stay doing what fires you up when bridesmaids take over? We know what's timeless, we know what goes on the wall, what goes in the album, how do you relay that without
...Show more

Say i dont want to steal someone elses idea, but lets do 'x' instead

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scenario--

uote]jeremy_clay wrote:
Say i dont want to steal someone elses idea, but lets do 'x' instead

This is along the lines of how I like to handle that. I also smile as I say that and then ignore and do what I want Just take control bro. The bride won't mind...unless she says "Ohh yeah, I want to do that". Then I grit my teeth, die inside and do it.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Jim Heine
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scenario--

I usually let go of my ego and try to do any requested shots within reason. But I've used the following if we don't have time to BS around:

"if we have time after we get the shots the bride requested"

"would you rather be in a copycat pinterest shot or create a different shot that everyone else wants to pin?"

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:14 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scenario--

Anytime somebody has an idea I don't like, I usually try to refer back to my style and what the bride chose me for. If the bride is standing there, I'll just bounce the idea off of her, if my initial deflection isn't successful.

I only care what a bridesmaid thinks if she's in a serious relationship or just got engaged, has a really fun personality and preferably is very easy on the eyes. Otherwise, I don't have to worry about ever earning their business, and thus I don't care if they're miffed I didn't use their idea.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:13 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scenario--

Depending on the vibe I'm getting from her and/or the rest of the wedding party:

1. With a straight face, "Ummm....no" followed by a wink and a smile.

2. To the rest of the bridal party, "Is she always like this?" - They laugh, I laugh, she shuts up.

3. Pulling her to the side between requests, "Here's my number. Give me a call next week and we can shoot anything you want." - Only if she's cute (and single)

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scenario--

DannyBostwick wrote:
Your a fairly experience photographer, you hate pinteresty, trendy, nonsense. Your on a roll, then a few bridesmaids say, let's do the ________ shot. Okay, cool, I aim to please, sure. Then the rest of the day it's no, let's try ___________ instead. All of which are ridiculous and make you cringe. How do you politely tell her no, this is pointless? Is it pointless? How do you stay doing what fires you up when bridesmaids take over? We know what's timeless, we know what goes on the wall, what goes in the album, how do you relay that without
...Show more

Hey, I think we all get this to some degree. I try to distance it from it as much as possible.

1) If it's the bridesmaids, they'll generally be with the bride and she'll often dismiss it or look horrified in my experience. Or do something strange once and then be done with it.

2) I get any "arranged" images done in one lot. No revisiting through the day. So they can get all there "creativity" out of themselves in one go, and then go back to the wedding.

3) I try to keep these at a minimum as the knock on effect is sad. For example, last year we had 1.2 hours of group photos, then after that for the rest of the day all the guests would ask "Great, can we have a photo?". Perfectly reasonable, happy to do that. But she frequency speaks volumes. What actually happened at that wedding after the ceremony? The photos don't tell me much anyway. (To be clear, and relating to my point below, my process for taking this job was not very good).

4) Make absolutely sure you're on the same page with your clients. If they're great clients, they won't want the crap you speak of. You do this before you book them. To give you an example, I had an email this morning from a fantastic client who booked 18 months ago. She was just expressing how important her family were and the actual experience on the day and how this is what the photography is for her. To forget about any meaningless details - not exactly the same scenario, but for me I don't really spend any time with details these days. I pick up one or two if they are worthy. Whereas the pinterest bride will say "OMG quirky details wowowow!!!". But I already knew this from before they booked, we were perfectly aligned. Really excited about their wedding!

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Edited on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scenario--

DannyBostwick wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a brand of BB gun recommendation, but good suggestions so far.

I would use the same taser as you use for those people who walk out into the naive/aisle when the couple exits

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.