New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Taking photos at the beach

alhajri

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Taking photos at the beach

Dear friends,

I wanted to take your advice and hear your stories about taking photos at the beach/water.

I took my gear last week to take pictures of friends and family. But I couldn't do it. When I saw the kids playing
with the sand, the water splashing, and sand getting on my hands and clothes, I could not risk my equipment and lenses.

The main problems I had were:

1) Sand getting on the camera and lens
2) Salty water on the camera and lens (Even though the 7D and L lenses say they're weathered sealed I was hesitant)
3) Humidity on the lens, LCD, and the viewfinder.
4) Changing lenses and exposing the camera sensor to dust, sand and humidity is a nightmare.

I'm eager to hear your solution and read your stories about similar conditions.

Thanks

Kal

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Taking photos at the beach

Hi Kal,

I wouldn't worry about it, too much. I often shoot at the beach and at the coast, and in the desert. If it's windy, I'll probably put a protection filter on my lens. If there's blowing salt spray (or splashes from kids), I'd probably use my Think Tank Hydrophibia or AquaTech SS-Zoom raincoats (depending on which lenses & cameras). If I planned to get right into the water zone, I'd use my Outex waterproof cover.

The first and least expensive step for you would be to buy an Op/Tech Rainsleeve, which will protect you from most of what could happen, as long as you stay on the land.

Here's some recent FM threads on protection for shooting on and around the water, and other threatening environments - most of which are way worse than a day at the beach,

Shooting from a Kayak, https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1310303/1#12511502
water protection & water proof https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1305343/0#12454063
bags & packs https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1188692/0#11335838
Camera case for small boat (waterproof) https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1195187/0#11398407
weather tolerance https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1188602/0&year=2013#11334857

Jim

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Garylv
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Taking photos at the beach

A little dust or moisture shouldn't hurt them. Most are designed to take that. I've shot my 7D in the rain during football games, and also been soaked by a big ocean wave that caught me off guard shooting at the water's edge. Mentioned that in another thread here.

I took the camera battery out and poured bottled water over the camera & lens to rinse off the salt water. Everything works perfectly and has for a long time now. A little fresh water won't hurt it much but salt water has a better chance. That's why it was important to rinse it lightly.

And as mentioned, no need for anyone to worry, I have no plans to sell that gear on FM.

Just use a little precaution and have fun. The beach is a blast, I shoot there a lot.

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Taking photos at the beach

I take a camera every time I go to the beach. I always wipe my gear down with clean damp cloth when I get home and never change lenses. I've been whale watching and had gear drenched by spray and had no issues as long as you clean it thoroughly. A Garylv says, salt water is the killer if left.

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:19 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Taking photos at the beach

I just don't sweat it. It's hard to beat golden hour at the beach or just a good sunset.

Start with what you are comfortable with and then advance from there. If that just means using a zoom lens and standing back from the action, do that for a while. Slowly extend your comfort zone until you are able to get the shots you want. You are going to get the best shots in the final hour or two of sun anyways -- Like the other posters say the beach is not all to extreme and very manageable if you are careful and aware. Especially most beaches that you are going to be taking your family and kids to.

I've shot close to the water and rocks and the key is just to keep both eyes open and stay aware of, and respond to, the changing conditions around you. The only other advice I can give is to wear good shoes, ones that handle well in both loose and wet sand, and be used to handling yourself in both.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Taking photos at the beach

We vacationed in Florida this summer with kids and grandkids. I took my 5DIII and 100 400 on the beach several days. I took a bag that fit the combo perfectly and never changed the lens. When in use my hands were clean with no water or sand etc. I just washed them off in the ocean and let them air dry a few minutes before picking up the bag. When not in use, it was in the bag wrapped in a clean towel, and laying on a another clean towel well away from the water I got a few grains of sand on the bag and just brushed it off. When I'd get back to the house, I would just wipe it all down incase my hands had salt residue. As for the camera and lens, they never got sand or water on them at all and I took lots of pics. I was probably overly cautious but it really didn't take that much effort just a little thought. I'd just had an insurance claim so I didn't want a second one. I'm being extra, cautious for the next year or so.

After all, it's no fun having the gear if you can't use it.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Taking photos at the beach

I too shoot a lot at the beach. Here's my tips:

1. when not shooting, keep the camera away from the elements (camera bag, backpack, etc and zip it shut)
2. Try and NOT change lenses. If you must, do it quickly and keep sea spray and sand away.
3. Once home, wipe down gears with damp microfiber cloth 2X (rinse off the cloth between wipes)

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Taking photos at the beach

My beach photography is primarily fresh water locations, therefore the saltwater concern is not relevant to me. Nor is water in general, assuming I don't do something silly like dunk the camera in the lake while wading out to photograph others.

My concern is more around sand getting into the camera bag, particularly if typically active children are in the group. I've also found other adults tend to be forgetful about how easily they can unknowingly toss around sand, such as when packing up at the end of the day by shaking out clothes/towels/chairs when I am downwind from them.

It's a matter of anticipating these possible problems and reminding others about their proximity to the gear. Typically I always carry the camera and bag while I'm on sand. I never place the bag directly on the sand and if I have to put it down, will put it on a chair or something else that's raised as much as possible off the ground.

When changing lenses I face away from the wind and try to shield the camera as much as possible while the lenses are exchanged as quickly as possible. I also try to avoid getting my hands wet and then touching something sandy. This can be difficult to avoid if you're a parent dealing with wet/sandy kids. Here it's just a matter of wiping yourself off with a towel, letting your hands dry, rubbing off any remaining sand.

Once home, I remove everything from the camera bag and thoroughly vacuum it out while also cleaning off everything that was in the bag with a clean toothbrush (or small paint brush) and blower bulb. For glass surfaces, I blow off dust and any sand particles and carefully use the brush to remove any sand particles stuck between glass and retaining rings.

IMO, if you are careful, but not overly paranoid about it, you will be able to enjoy photography at the beach with no short or longterm equipment problems.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Taking photos at the beach

Southern California is my home base, born and raised, and our beaches are my favorite venues, along with wetlands and bays. I do use protective UV filters on my lenses when at those places and when changing lenses tend to do so inside my bag or under shirt or jacket.

I also clean everything after shooting, but before I leave for home, then a second cleaning if needed. Quite often I'll roam the docks at our local harbors, early in the morning for the oft magnificent foggy conditions and not once had 'any' issues with my gear.

Since 2000 I've shot with EOS3 and 1V film bodies and a griped 40D/50D, with mostly non-L glass; primes and zooms. If you are planning on getting in the water you might think on a waterproof point-n-shoot for candid kid/family shots.

Bring your cleaning supplies; dry and liquid, with you to the beach, and just have fun and don't dunk your gear in the water/ocean, it tends to not like that very much

Cheers,
Jerry

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Taking photos at the beach

Don't worry about it. If the camera isn't dripping with saltwater, and you can't hear the sand bouncing off the front of your lens... it's fine.

As I mentioned in the last thread on this topic a couple weeks ago: You probably get more wet and salt on the camera from your hands during normal use when it's hot out than you'll get in most shooting conditions at the beach. Go head, lick the handgrip and report your results. I dare you...

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:19 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Taking photos at the beach

Hope I can chip in despite being a Nikon shooter

In the pre digital/film age shot quite a bit of fashion/models on the beach, and getting sand inside the body, causing scratches on in the worst case the full length of the film, was the big nightmare in those days. Learned my tricks for protecting my gear on the beach back then

Have been abusing my (digital) equipment for years shooting surf (started somewhere in 2006) from piers and beaches. Never used a special rainprotection on neither camera nor lenses while doing so (a bit stupid in hindsight) catching the full load of salt water spray (up to the point where I constantly would have to clean my front lens from caked salt to regain a clear image while shooting), sand and rain.

Always had a UV filter on the lens for protection though, if possible didn't change lenses on location, and if, in the rare occasions I did so, kept the camera mount always face down, closing it with the body cap while swapping the lenses, and of course in the mean time, protecting it with my body/jacket from the wind while turning away from it.

When at home, to begin with, first with a brush got rid of any sand on the outside of the body (and lenses), especially near the lensmount.Then wiped of it any salt with a moist (fresh water) towel or piece of cloth, and just to be sure blew out any dirt of gunk from the inside of the mirror housing with a Giotto air blower before switching the camera on or even touching the shutter release.

Never had problems with stuff on my sensors (although shooting nearly always with fully or near open lens may also play a part in that) and only had my sensors cleaned once a year as part of the service Nikon offers NPS members for free (gave me a reason to go those meetings).

Only real damage I suffered in all those years is that at one point my image stabilization started to perform in a jumpy way, probably due corrosion on some of the contacts inside the lens after prolonged unprotected use in the rain and under salt water spray. But as I don't use it and basically always have it shut of anyway, that wasn't a problem. Recently sent in the lens for repair (at last) but had it prematurely returned since it took too long (more then the standard 48 hours) while I needed it for another shoot. In the meantime they had it dismantled, and rebuilt again, although not officially repaired (swapping new parts etc), and and to my pleasant surprise now it works as new again (probably the corroded contacts got somehow cleaned/reconnected during the dismantling/rebuilding).

So IMO taking and using your gear on the beach, especially if using common sense while on the beach, and careful cleaning when it home, should be a non issue. Enjoy your shoot at the beach.

Aug 20, 2014 at 05:08 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Taking photos at the beach

I've lived on or near beaches all my life and you just need to use a little common sense all will be fine. Like others have commented, the biggies are not to set gear on the sand or where a wave can nail them, use a clear or UV filter and wipe down with a damp cloth afterwards. I always carry a terry cloth in case I get a splash. I don't change lenses at the beach but I see a lot of wedding pros doing it at Waikiki, but they must figure it into the overhead. During big wave season I have to rinse off dried salt from my filter and sun glasses every 30 minutes or so. When I shot surfing all the little body screws oxidized on my camera by season's end, but I left the camera on a tripod for hours daily.

However, if you're at the beach to have fun swimming and rolling in the sand, it seems silly to carry a DSLR and worry about being careful or getting ripped off. Buy a refurb Olympus Tough series camera for a benjamin. You can swim with it and rinse it off in the shower afterwards.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Taking photos at the beach

Yep, I shoot on the beach a ton... I don't let the elements alter the way I shoot, still using mostly primes and changing lenses pretty regularly. To be quite honest, I don't ever wipe my gear off when I get home either unless there is something noticeable.

I just checked the shutter count on my 7D and it's nearing 74k actuations. I would venture to guess that at least a quarter of those were at one beach or another. I've never had any problems with my cameras, lenses or flashes from shooting at the beach. But, I do have to replace light modifiers pretty regularly!

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Taking photos at the beach

Depends a lot on the beach too. Puget Sound beaches are often calm and waveless. You'd have to chuck your camera in the water or drag across the rocks to damage it. Oahu North Shore beaches in December (big waves) have mist so thick you clean filters every few minutes and tourists holding cameras on the shoreline regularly get swept out to sea. I've seen heavy video tripod mounted cameras get taken down 50 feet from the shore break from rogue waves.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Taking photos at the beach

justruss wrote:
You probably get more wet and salt on the camera from your hands during normal use when it's hot out than you'll get in most shooting conditions at the beach. Go head, lick the handgrip and report your results. I dare you...

That really depends. Out in CA that usually seems to be the case, but man upper Mid-Atlantic/Northeast U.S. shore, the air often cares a crazy heavy load of salt. You can walk along a boardwalk more than 100 yards from the water and in 15 minutes your hair can be caked in salt, you can part another 50 yards beyond the boardwalk and have your winshield so caked in salt you can;t even see out of the front window until you run the wipers a few times.

Certainly on the NJ shore, it all depends, the location and conditions of the day, but in a bunch of areas on many days it's salt city. And on some days there is a savage onshore wind and chop and you just get pelted.

OTOH, as I said, whenever I do to SoCal, 98% of the time, we can run around beaches and such all day long and barely feel any salt deposit and I can't remember having to use the wipers ever.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Taking photos at the beach

I went to a beach a few weeks ago to make photographs of an international sand castle competition - and left my 6D in the car and took my 1Ds Mark II with me instead.

The reason is because I'm confident the 1Ds2 can be dropped in the sand, and even splashed by salt water without having to worry about immediately dusting and cleaning and wiping off the camera.

I could have taken the 6D, but then I'd be spending more time worrying about keeping the camera clear, than with making shots.

Aug 20, 2014 at 01:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Taking photos at the beach

justruss wrote:
You probably get more wet and salt on the camera from your hands during normal use when it's hot out than you'll get in most shooting conditions at the beach. Go head, lick the handgrip and report your results. I dare you...

skibum5 wrote:
That really depends. Out in CA that usually seems to be the case, but man upper Mid-Atlantic/Northeast U.S. shore, the air often cares a crazy heavy load of salt. You can walk along a boardwalk more than 100 yards from the water and in 15 minutes your hair can be caked in salt, you can part another 50 yards beyond the boardwalk and have your winshield so caked in salt you can;t even see out of the front window until you run the wipers a few times.

Certainly on the NJ shore, it all depends, the location and conditions of the
...Show more

That salt that you notice in NJ gets into the air on the Nova Scotia coast. Even our cars rust out early, compared to anywhere else.

Aug 20, 2014 at 02:28 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Taking photos at the beach

I consider the beach a hazardous environment for my photo gear. And as a cheap SOB I want to protect it so I do. I use bath towels of different sizes to drape over the camera/lens and put another under the bag. If it's very misty or blowy I'll use some Saran Wrap around the lens and body - this works great for light rain too and is always in my kit bag for snow, jungle shoots - whenever and wherever I need to protect the gear. Another thing I have to hand is a cheap shower cap - usually taken from the hotel room like the towels - it works great as a quick cap on telephotos and is very useful when shooting from boats where you get spray. Cheap and cheerful but gets the job done. After shooting everything gets a wipe down and glass cleaned before it goes back into airtight Pelican cases with 100gram silica gel packs and humidity indicator cards, safe and sound.

Phil

Edit- Jim looked up your links and like your DIY plastic wrap solution- it gets Phil's Cheap n' Cheerful seal of approval!

Aug 20, 2014 at 05:45 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Taking photos at the beach

Lived in coastal California for over a decade and never really had a problem. As others suggest, shield things if you have to change lenses (esp. when windy), use a UV filter if near spray, and wipe everything down afterwards. In my experience sand is the biggest hassle. As careful as I am the sand always seems to get into places I don't want it (on gear and myself) so I either uses a brush, vacuum or canned air to ensure it's off/out of everywhere when I get home, especially bags and lens cloths.

If in a hot, humid area I'd take the usual precautions of minimizing the impact of going from air-conditioned car to humid air (not a problem in CA since the coast is usually pretty cool anyway). I'd also probably be more careful if I didn't have a splash-proof camera and lenses.

Aug 20, 2014 at 08:27 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Taking photos at the beach

Don't go to crazy with it on the beach or jump into water with your camera, otherwise you are fine. I am using filter on lens and trying not to change lenses a lot on the beach.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.