New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

Anyone have any recommendations for a Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7?

I am looking for a decent quality adapter and it seems there are not many out there

Any help would be appreciated

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:42 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

I recently picked up a Fotodiox C/Y to Sony E mount adapter. Fits nicely to camera body with no slop, same with the lens-to-adapter fit...nice and snug. I've been using Fotodiox adapters for a while for various lens makes (Mamiya 645, Canon FD, C/Y, etc.) and have never had a problem with either. They're well made and seem to be very consistent, which is why I stick with them.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:37 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

Thanks Mike for the great info

Phil

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:42 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

Novoflex is easily the best, but is fairly expensive. My second choice would be Kipon.

Anything else I've tried tends to suffer from poor fit and/or finish - including the various Fotodiox products I've used.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:46 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

Avoid the Fotasy. I got one of those the first time around, and it leaks light at the C/Y mount, at least with my Contax 50/1.7. With the sun at my back or above me, it's not hard to induce the effect - 1/20, ISO 100, lens cap on and f/16 and you get a substantial amount of purple flare through the leak.

Aug 19, 2014 at 05:13 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

For Contax C/Y, I would go with the Rayqual/Kindai adapter (you can get it at Cameraquest.com). I had the Kindai and the Novoflex, and I much prefer the Kindai (bigger and more screws on the mount, hit exact infinity - Novoflex overshot a little). However, the Novoflex ASTAT is a nice add-on and Kindai doesn't offer the equivalent (the tripod mount version of the Kindai is not very intuitive - circular base...). So you see what is more important for you.

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:48 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

hiepphotog wrote:
For Contax C/Y, I would go with the Rayqual/Kindai adapter (you can get it at Cameraquest.com). I had the Kindai and the Novoflex, and I much prefer the Kindai (bigger and more screws on the mount, hit exact infinity - Novoflex overshot a little). However, the Novoflex ASTAT is a nice add-on and Kindai doesn't offer the equivalent (the tripod mount version of the Kindai is not very intuitive - circular base...). So you see what is more important for you.

The ASTAT is the reason I went with the Novoflex. I wanted a good rotatable adapter for my S-Planar 60, and it was and, to the best of my knowledge, still is the best thing going. Mine hits infinity without a problem but the locking mechanism is no better than what you get out of cheaper adapters. The nice thing about the ASTAT is that it works on any of their e-mount adapters, so I've got their FD as well, which is very nice.

I've never used Rayqual, but I've heard good things. I've used Kipon for their shift and tilt adapters, and they're very good. I have the Fotodiox and Rainbow Imaging C/Y adapters and they're solid, but both needed to be shimmed to hit infinity at the hard stop, a task that was made more difficult having to work around the spring lock mechanism.

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:50 PM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

hiepphotog wrote:

+1

The Novoflex ASTAT is very useful and, as an added benefit, it also works with the Kipon Hexanon AR to NEX adapters I have. (For some reason, the Hexanon AR mount is not supported by the premium adapter makers. The Kipon adapter offers the best quality I have been able to find for Hexanon AR lenses.)

But I'm about to pick up a couple of Rayqual/Kindai adapters to see how they compare with the Novoflex adapters I'm currently using. Unlike the Novoflex adapters, the Rayqual/Kindai adapters have baffles which, according to a recent forum discussion, are effective in eliminating flare from certain lenses.

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:55 PM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

I use a Kipon for my C/Y 28mm/2.8 and it feels quite well made. It snaps firmly into place and there's no play anywhere. Focus hits infinity at the hard stop.

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:08 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Even the $400 Metabones adapter has problems that some users take issue with. Like anything else that's manufactured, there's bound to be some variation across a line of products. Another option for C/Y is going to a Leitax mount...this isn't an adapter, but an actual lens mount conversion. Pros: great fit/finish, very exact Cons: unlike an adapter, this is a lens mount which means that you lose the ability to interchange lenses. A little pricey, but no more than some of the recommended higher-priced adapters in this thread. I use a Leitax C/Y to Canon EF mount on my C/Y 35-70 and its basically perfect, and have been using the Fotodiox on my C/Y 28/2.8 with the A7r without any issues. But like I said, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. You can find more detailed information at leitax.com

Aug 20, 2014 at 06:20 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

arduluth wrote:
Avoid the Fotasy. I got one of those the first time around, and it leaks light at the C/Y mount, at least with my Contax 50/1.7. With the sun at my back or above me, it's not hard to induce the effect - 1/20, ISO 100, lens cap on and f/16 and you get a substantial amount of purple flare through the leak.

My cheap $10 Fotasy adapter doesn't exhibit any light leaks - ordered June 7.
It actually seems like a slightly better fit than $99 Metabones - ordered July 24.
I think some sample variation is at work here, although the Fotasy doesn't fit as tight on my 50f1.7 as it does on my 28f2.8 or 85f2.8.

Aug 20, 2014 at 03:12 PM
roofdweller49
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Contax CY to NEX mount adapter for A7 Advise

I know, old thread - but I discovered the fotasy and others of the same design leak not at the mount, but at the release pin

Jul 17, 2016 at 02:47 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.