Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 2nd Photographer Rate

Shootmenow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd Photographer Rate

What's the going rate now for an experience 2nd shooter in San Francisco Bay Area? What do you pay your 2nd tog?

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:09 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd Photographer Rate

Depends on the second shooter. I typically pay $50/hr. My assistants I pay around $150 to be a gear mule and/chauffeur/VAL. I'll usually throw in extra for longer travel distances.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:38 AM
monday
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd Photographer Rate

dhp_sf wrote:
Depends on the second shooter. I typically pay $50/hr. My assistants I pay around $150 to be a gear mule and/chauffeur/VAL. I'll usually throw in extra for longer travel distances.

Sorry to thread jack here. What rights do you normally give the second shooter? I've gotten a few inquires and am interested in being one however the inquires gave me NO rights to the images I take. I know its normal to not be able to post work until the couple has their images. However giving me no rights and taking my images to post seems wrong on many different levels.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:54 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd Photographer Rate

monday wrote:
Sorry to thread jack here. What rights do you normally give the second shooter? I've gotten a few inquires and am interested in being one however the inquires gave me NO rights to the images I take. I know its normal to not be able to post work until the couple has their images. However giving me no rights and taking my images to post seems wrong on many different levels.

Normally, I don't allow the use of images of my clients (the couple) in portfolio galleries, but guest candids/details are fine. However, blogging is fine as long as it is stated that the images were taken as a second photographer with a link to me as the main. No couple names, no venue names, but initials and geographic locations are okay. I also would prefer that images that I pose of the couples not be used. No posts on FB unless it is linked back to my FB page...

I guess my general rule of thumb: my second shooters can use the images in any capacity where they can also make it clear that they were not the primary photographer.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:03 AM
monday
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd Photographer Rate

dhp_sf wrote:
Normally, I don't allow the use of images of my clients (the couple) in portfolio galleries, but guest candids/details are fine. However, blogging is fine as long as it is stated that the images were taken as a second photographer with a link to me as the main. No couple names, no venue names, but initials and geographic locations are okay. I also would prefer that images that I pose of the couples not be used. No posts on FB unless it is linked back to my FB page...

I guess my general rule of thumb: my second shooters can
...Show more

Makes sense. Thanks for answering I think those terms are more than fair!

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:29 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd Photographer Rate

monday, I'm with Duy. In the past, I've let my 2nd's use the images in anyway they see fit, but with a few notations:

-Note that they were second shooting with me
-Do NOT post the images before I post mine
-Do NOT add my clients/tag them on Facebook.

I had a happening two years ago where my clients found my 2nd shooter on Facebook, added her, and referenced her and her Facebook business page as their "other photographer". That was irritating.

I pay $250-350 depending on experience for a normal day (6-8 hours) and $400 for extended day (10-12 hours). I back up their cards before the end of the wedding, and they do no post production work at all. I handle that.

Most of the time, if timing/directions allow, I try to pick them up and drive as well, to save them gas/parking fees. Plus, it gives us time to chat before the wedding, prepare, talk timelines, etc., and also talk afterward and see how things went.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.