New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shopping in St. Maarten

sskoutas
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shopping in St. Maarten

I just returned from St. Maarten and I really had to restrain myself from purchasing equipment at Chulani's Photography. Their prices were pretty incredible, but my "if it seems too good to be true" sensors were going off, so I passed. Does anyone have any experience with them? They say they offer US warranty, and the 5D Mark III was something like US2,450. The 85L 1.2 was US1,550 or so.

Does anyone have any experience shopping this destination (St. Marteen) or this vendor (Chulani Photography) before? I travel internationally with moderate regularity, and I've always been hesitant to buy technology on the road (I frequently price shop Hong Kong and mainland China, for example, but I've never bought).

I'd consider going back to St. Marteen if others have had good shopping experiences there. Any other destinations that are great places to find great deals on camera gear?

Thanks in advance for sharing any experiences you may have had.

Aug 18, 2014 at 09:18 PM
ITR010342
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shopping in St. Maarten

I was there this summer and saw some awesome deals as well... I also passed because I was unsure of it was too good or not, plus my wife would have killed me for buying more equipment! Would like to know as well, if I ever go back!

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:27 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shopping in St. Maarten

It probably was a "store" warranty because I would think they would be bodies meant for the European market with St. Maarten being Dutch and French. Plenty of people must purchase cameras on vacation though or else the stores wouldn't be there. I've thought of making purchases at different shops like in St. Thomas etc. but never have. You can find those lower prices on the items if you shop enough.

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:15 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shopping in St. Maarten

The place looks legit. If it's a good deal I would buy there.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shopping in St. Maarten

Anybody else?

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shopping in St. Maarten

Those prices are *significantly* below dealer cost for USA authorized dealers, and companies don't stay in business by selling every item for a significant loss, so something is definitely not right.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shopping in St. Maarten

Bought a 24-105 and 35/1.4 off them 3 years ago.
Both excellent quality lenses.
Great prices in St Maarten.

Aug 21, 2014 at 05:19 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shopping in St. Maarten

I know friends that have bought items there including 24-105's, 70-200's and 100-400's and can vouch for the store! Very good deals and legit equipment. And i know of one friend who had his 24-105 serviced by canon that was from there and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Aug 21, 2014 at 06:08 AM
sskoutas
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shopping in St. Maarten

Looks like someone's going back to St. Maarten!

Aug 21, 2014 at 08:30 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shopping in St. Maarten

I think you are attaching way too much value to a warranty. Often its not until you need to use a warranty that you find out they won't warranty whatever it is you want.

The only risk is what if there is something immediately wrong with the camera. So long as they let you physically try that camera body out in the store you are in the clean.

People have been buying grey models from B&H for years to save money. It's the exact same thing. Really no different than buying used on the B/S boards.

Aug 21, 2014 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.