Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

SchnellerGT
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Unless Canon announces a 6DII with a new super-DR chip and improved AF in the next few months, I am thinking of jumping ship. Not necessarily to Nikon as I don't think they offer what I want either. I think the answer may be at Sony or FUJI. I am simply tired of big backpacks. I want more portability. But I still want DR, low noise at high ISO, and shutter speed. Is there anything out there that fits the bill? I really only do landscapes and portraits. My current kit is the 5DII, 24-70LII, 85L, and 135L.

So who has sold their kit and gone to something smaller and more portable?

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

SchnellerGT wrote:
... but I still want DR, low noise at high ISO, and shutter speed. Is there anything out there that fits the bill? So who has sold their kit and gone to something smaller and more portable?

I sold my last full frame Canon a few weeks ago. Soon after that I sold my lenses. I now shoot with an Olympus E-P5. I looked at the E-M1 and decided that the IQ of the E-P5 was almost identical to its more expensive brother.

Olympus' lenses are exceptional. The high ISO performance is excellent at ISO 1600 and pretty good at ISO 3200. The larger sensors of today's full frame cameras win the day when it comes to high ISO performance. But ... the E-P5 is pretty close to my old 5D at ISO 3200!

I have no regrets and no complaints. Looking at my E-P5 files is like looking at my full frame files, for the most part; in some ways, better. We've come a long way.

- Steve

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:15 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Didn't sell my Canon kit and also don't intend to. I went the Sony A7R route and never looked back camera-wise even I am still using my 5D MkIIs (for IR work and for flash photography and rare occasions where I need faster AF). The A7 series gives you what you desire above - DR, lower noise at high ISO compared to the 5D MkII at least, and definitely excellent shutter speed. I consider the A7R an ideal landscape camera which also works well for portraits.

Regarding size, I recommend smaller, lighter MF lenses. There are plenty of options out there, check the ALT forum (and my profile for example). For backpacking and general travel mirrorless cameras with MF lenses are a big plus. Just keep in mind in case you go with Sony mirrorless that the Sony/Zeiss E-mount lenses are about as big and heavy as the Canon EF lens counterparts. Here you won't save weight but gain good AF capability on the A7 series.

In your case, I would keep the 85L and the 135L lenses, maybe also the 24-70L II. You can use them on the Sony A7(R) and adapter perfectly fine.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

I've moved to a Sony a7R, although I still have my 5D and 5D II. The 5D mainly for nostalgia and the 5D II for when I want to shoot action (which is rare for me.) I'm mainly a landscape shooter.

I picked up the FE 35 and FE 55. I've added a couple of legacy manual primes, also adapt my EF mount lenses.

-Tim

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:50 PM
taemo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

I sold my 5DII and L lenses for a Fuji X100s, X-Pro1 and Ricoh GR last summer.
half-way through I traded all my Fuji cameras to an M9 and finally an A7 and I'm really happy now.

I don't shoot wildlife or sports so manual-focus lenses works just fine for me
now I have 14 film cameras and 2 digital, A7 and GR

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:53 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Here's the real question:

What are you willing to give up?

Reducing size and weight generally means giving up some combination of DOF control, IQ, and AF, while increasing cost.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM
SchnellerGT
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Could someone please describe the differences between the A7/A7R/A7S?
What about lenses? What Sony lenses works with the A7? What are they called? Sonnar?
I like the idea of keeping my Canon glass. What about adapters? What do I lose by using one? Who makes good ones?

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

SchnellerGT wrote:
Could someone please describe the differences between the A7/A7R/A7S?
What about lenses? What Sony lenses works with the A7? What are they called? Sonnar?
I like the idea of keeping my Canon glass. What about adapters? What do I lose by using one? Who makes good ones?

Might want to head over to the Alt forum, where this has all been discussed ad nauseum .

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM
SchnellerGT
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

OK...will do...

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

johnctharp wrote:
.... while increasing cost.

Increasing cost? What do you mean?

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

veroman wrote:
Increasing cost? What do you mean?

If the OP wants to match or exceed the output quality of his Canon body and lenses while reducing size, it means buying more lenses and more expensive ones, likely of M-mount vintage. That's why I asked, 'what are you willing to give up?'.

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

I almost jumped ship but came back after 2.5 years with Olympus and Panasonic M4/3. They're cute cameras but I found ergonomics awkward, images noisy above ISO 800, lenses pricy and, the worse yet, got lots of blurry pics at normally easy to hold shutter speeds. Those tiny cameras are a bitch to hold steady and tend to have shutter shock problems. I recently sold my E-P5, GX1and 5 lenses. I still have an E-P3 and pancake that's mainly because it's worth almost nothing and is hard to get rid of. I replaced the M4/3 gear with a SL1 and, hot damn, what an easy camera to hold and shoot with and no more blurry pics at freakin'1/100 sec! The SL1 and 24 2.8 IS USM combo isn't much bigger than my E-P5, VF-4 and 17 1.8 and is a better camera in just about every way. With all that said, I'm glad I hung onto my 6D and 5D2 for my more serious shooting.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:09 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

johnctharp wrote:
If the OP wants to match or exceed the output quality of his Canon body and lenses while reducing size, it means buying more lenses and more expensive ones, likely of M-mount vintage. That's why I asked, 'what are you willing to give up?'.

Nops. You can use all your Canon lenses nicely on any of the Sony A7 series cameras if you don't need to rely on fast AF - especially not for landscape. Or/and you use MF lenses which are normally cheaper if not Leica/Zeiss brand names. I can't see a difference in my landscape shots taken with Rokkor/Canon FD lenses and my Canon EF lenses.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:12 AM
didierv
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Gochugogi wrote:
I almost jumped ship but came back after 2.5 years with Olympus and Panasonic M4/3. They're cute cameras but I found ergonomics awkward, images noisy above ISO 800, lenses pricy and, the worse yet, got lots of blurry pics at normally easy to hold shutter speeds. Those tiny cameras are a bitch to hold steady and tend to have shutter shock problems. I recently sold my E-P5, GX1and 5 lenses. I still have an E-P3 and pancake that's mainly because it's worth almost nothing and is hard to get rid of. I replaced the M4/3 gear with a SL1 and,
...Show more

I agree, the biggest trade off of going smaller is ergonomics.
I have an Olympus OMD, I like it when want to travel light, but I would not give up my FF kit for a M4/3 Oly. Ergonomics often means getting or missing the shot.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:19 AM
artd
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

I bought an A7r primarily for the sensor, but the compact size is a nice bonus. I can use it with my large Canon tilt shifts, but I can also opt for a small and light kit to have with me whenever I just want to have a camera without lugging a work kit. An a7r with a 35mm and 55mm FE is real easy to carry around. These two little lenses are as good as anything else out there. But...if you want the flexibility of a zoom, the 24-70II is still the best thing going. It can be adapted to a Sony A7 but probably only really good for landscape then, as the AF is too slow to be useful for much else.

I still shoot a Canon body in scenarios where I need to work fast. The A7r just isn't built for that kind of thing. But if I'm shooting on a tripod, or if I want to travel light, the A7r is what I will always grab.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:24 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

been the full frame route. now it's just family shots and vacation photos. The Canon GX1 does just fine. Sony rx100 if I want to go lightweight.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:30 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

been the full frame route. now it's just family shots and vacation photos. The Canon GX1 does just fine. Sony rx100 if I want to go lightweight.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:30 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

retrofocus wrote:
Nops. You can use all your Canon lenses nicely on any of the Sony A7 series cameras if you don't need to rely on fast AF - especially not for landscape. Or/and you use MF lenses which are normally cheaper if not Leica/Zeiss brand names. I can't see a difference in my landscape shots taken with Rokkor/Canon FD lenses and my Canon EF lenses.

Using EF-glass defeats the purpose of down-sizing; and even if you can't see the difference between modern lenses and older glass, that doesn't mean that the difference isn't there, or that the OP wouldn't see it.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:38 AM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Went from 1DsIII to E-M5 to E-M1. I regret nothing but trying to get an equivalent radio wireless flash system. Still looking for that.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:40 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Who has left Canon FF...for something smaller?

Betacamman wrote:
Went from 1DsIII to E-M5 to E-M1. I regret nothing but trying to get an equivalent radio wireless flash system. Still looking for that.

How so? I use my cybersyncs/alienbees/580exii on both my Canon and OMD systems without any problems at all. I can even throw on the 580exii onto the OMD although the balance is quite odd, it works just as if it were on the Canon minus the ettl features.

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password