FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Need help picking a FF UWA

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need help picking a FF UWA

dhphoto wrote:
I know the 16-35IS is a brilliant, sharp lens, but 16mm isn't very wide when you've used a 12mm on Full frame (with astonishingly little distortion)

My 17-40L seems relatively tame by comparison now

Well yeah I get that .
As they say 'long is never long enough and wide is never wide enough '

Those 4mm between 12 and 16 mm will be quite a difference in FOV .
I had the canon 10-22 for a while and the 2mm difference on crop between it and the 12-24/4 was very noticable .

I'd still go with the 16-35 though . If I needed wider on occasion I'd probably stitch but I know that's not always an option

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need help picking a FF UWA

seattlebruin wrote:
Need a bit of help picking out a new FF UWA. I've had the Canon 17-40L and Sigma 12-24 v1 in the past

My budget is semi-flexible, but it doesn't include the 16-35 mk II or 16-35 IS unfortunately. Price is definitely a consideration. Looking for firsthand accounts of these lenses and thoughts in addition to pros/con.

I'm considering getting more into astrophotography (or at least trying my hand at it), so that's a consideration as well. Right now I'm leaning to the 17-40L, but could easily be talked out of this, especially if people come back with glowing reviews of the
...Show more

The 17-40L is by far the best lens on that list. I would add the Rokinon 14mm if you need something wider just because its so cheap.

Aug 21, 2014 at 03:10 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need help picking a FF UWA

I've used the Canon 17-40, 17-35, 16-35, Tamron 17-35, and the Samyang 14 from your list. The only one I still own is the Samyang, and it's the one with the absolute best IQ in your list. If I had to get one lens off of your list, it would be the Samyang 14. If I had to pick from the zooms from that list it would be Canon's 16-35mm. In my experience, the IQ is just "good" not "great" on all of the zooms you mentioned. The reason it would be the 16-35 is because of the 2.8 (for what astro work you want to do), the build, and the superior AF.

Aug 21, 2014 at 04:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.