Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Need help picking a FF UWA
  
 
seattlebruin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Need a bit of help picking out a new FF UWA. I've had the Canon 17-40L and Sigma 12-24 v1 in the past

My budget is semi-flexible, but it doesn't include the 16-35 mk II or 16-35 IS unfortunately. Price is definitely a consideration. Looking for firsthand accounts of these lenses and thoughts in addition to pros/con.

I'm considering getting more into astrophotography (or at least trying my hand at it), so that's a consideration as well. Right now I'm leaning to the 17-40L, but could easily be talked out of this, especially if people come back with glowing reviews of the Tamron or Sigma 12-24 II

1) Canon 17-40L
2) Canon 16-35 v1
3) Sigma 12-24 v2
4) Canon 17-35L
5) something else
Tokina 16-28
Tamron 17-35
Sigma 17-35
Rokinon 14 2.8




Aug 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM
sdfreeland
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I had the Tokina 16-28 in the past. It was really sharp. I would use it again if it allowed for filters. That, and how heavy it was are it's drawbacks.


Aug 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
seattlebruin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Yeah, unfortunately one of the reasons I didn't really like the Sigma 12-24 v1 was the lack of filters. The front element was just so bulbous I was constantly terrified that I would knock it on something while shooting

The Tokina would probably head the list if not for that issue



Aug 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help picking a FF UWA


seattlebruin wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately one of the reasons I didn't really like the Sigma 12-24 v1 was the lack of filters. The front element was just so bulbous I was constantly terrified that I would knock it on something while shooting

The Tokina would probably head the list if not for that issue


I'd say either the Tokina, or a combination of the Samyang 14/2.8 and the 17-40L.



Aug 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM
seattlebruin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Unfortunately that would be on the upper limit of my price range. I'd probably get the 16-35 mk I if I went that direction price wise.


Aug 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM
johnctharp
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help picking a FF UWA


seattlebruin wrote:
Unfortunately that would be on the upper limit of my price range. I'd probably get the 16-35 mk I if I went that direction price wise.


Do you do any PJ stuff?

If you need quick and accurate AF I could see going for the Canon, but the Tokina is miles ahead of the Mk I optically.



Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help picking a FF UWA


seattlebruin wrote:
Need a bit of help picking out a new FF UWA. I've had the Canon 17-40L and Sigma 12-24 v1 in the past

My budget is semi-flexible, but it doesn't include the 16-35 mk II or 16-35 IS unfortunately. Price is definitely a consideration. Looking for firsthand accounts of these lenses and thoughts in addition to pros/con.

I'm considering getting more into astrophotography (or at least trying my hand at it), so that's a consideration as well. Right now I'm leaning to the 17-40L, but could easily be talked out of this, especially if people come back with glowing reviews of the
...Show more

The ROkinon 14 2.8 handles astro fairly well due to the speed and lack of seagulls flying around the corners and edges. I don't know how those others fair in that regard other than I believe the 16-35 v1 is supposed to be bad in that regard(?). (out of your budget but the 16-35 f/4 IS is good in that regard)



Aug 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
seattlebruin
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Not really. I'm more concerned with the filters thing, like I was with the old Sigma.

Based on reviews of the Tokina though, sounds like I might have to get over my filter aversion if I want the best possible lens

johnctharp wrote:
Do you do any PJ stuff?

If you need quick and accurate AF I could see going for the Canon, but the Tokina is miles ahead of the Mk I optically.





Aug 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Wait until Photokina, Sigma is rumored to be releasing a 14-24/2.8 of their own and it's only a few weeks away. Otherwise consider the Samyang 14/2.8 - it's very popular for astrophotography and a good value.

You don't mention a specific budget, but if you want the best of the best you could also pick up a Nikon 14-24/2.8 and one of these: http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/

Also keep in mind any of the lenses with a bulbous front element are super annoying to protect and use filters with.

Could also go with the brand new 16-35/4 if you don't need f2.8.



Aug 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Spikey131
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need help picking a FF UWA


For ~$300, the Rokinon is hard to beat. Read up on the focus issues, and you will find it easy to use.


Aug 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



MDelinquento
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I've been pleasantly surprised by the Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4. Plasticky but well built and relatively lightweight. Optics are very good. Got it at KEH for about $350.

I was going to bite on the Tokina, but it was too heavy, awkward, and large. These UWA lenses I like using on the move, and the Tamron meets that requirement quite well.

M



Aug 19, 2014 at 12:31 AM
artd
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I've had both versions of the 12-24 (still own the version II). I really like them a lot. The filter thing was never an issue for me, but I don't use lots of filters anymore anyways. I've never had a problem with the front elements, but then again I habitually always replace the lens cap after I'm done shooting.

I will say that 12mm is such an extreme field of view that it isn't necessarily easy finding the right applications for it. But then again, when you do find it, you'll be plenty happy you have it....

Freedom by Art Domagala, on Flickr



Aug 19, 2014 at 02:33 AM
Massimo Foti
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I have been using the Tokina since a while, it's heavy, bulky, has a bulbous front element and doesn't handle flares that well, but IQ is excellent.
Most likely it delivers the best IQ in that price range.



Aug 19, 2014 at 07:38 AM
dhphoto
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need help picking a FF UWA


seattlebruin wrote:
Not really. I'm more concerned with the filters thing, like I was with the old Sigma.

Based on reviews of the Tokina though, sounds like I might have to get over my filter aversion if I want the best possible lens



I have the Sigma 12-24 mark 1 as you did, I think it's pretty well protected by the built in hood, I've never felt it was vulnerable (and you can put gelatin filters on the rear)

I also think used with care at the right apertures and with LR lens profiles it's very usable indeed, mine gets used for interiors all the time and if you keep it upright it's great. If you don't like that what about a Samyang 14mm?

I also have the 17-40L which, when stopped down a bit is a very good lens, but I don't really regard it as being very wide after using the Sigma.

If you have the funds the new 16-35IS is probably the best bet



Aug 19, 2014 at 09:47 AM
JesseShotland
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I have both the Canon 15 fisheye and the Canon 17-40L.

I love both. Period.

.



Aug 19, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Emmet Otter
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I have the Sig 12-24 1 and coupled with a large front 145mm circular wonderpana filter, it is amazing and well worth the money imo. There is some slight vignetting but nothing that photoshop cant fix =)

http://www.wonderpana.com/

And yes, the new Siggy 14-24 UWA will support an 82mm filter =)



Aug 20, 2014 at 01:46 PM
TeamSpeed
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Tokina 11-16 either at 16mm f2.8 or use a 1.4x for a 15-22 f4 lens....?

This is an example of that lens + 1.4x Kenko at 15mm on the 5D3.

Tokina 11-16 at 15mm with 1.4x




Aug 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Ian.Dobinson
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need help picking a FF UWA


TeamSpeed wrote:
Tokina 11-16 either at 16mm f2.8 or use a 1.4x for a 15-22 f4 lens....?

This is an example of that lens + 1.4x Kenko at 15mm on the 5D3.

Tokina 11-16 at 15mm with 1.4x



That's something I hadn't thought of (putting a 1.4 on ) . I know its a good lens at 16mm on ff

I use (because its left over from my crop kit) the tokina 12-24/4 . I can get it to about 18mm without the hood on and probably 19.5 with . It does the job for now .
But I think if I was buying a UWA now I would break the budget and get the new 16-35/4 . It does look the best option for a canon shooter
Failing that probably the 17-40 but I know I'd always be thinking should have gone for the newer lens



Aug 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM
dhphoto
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need help picking a FF UWA


I know the 16-35IS is a brilliant, sharp lens, but 16mm isn't very wide when you've used a 12mm on Full frame (with astonishingly little distortion)

My 17-40L seems relatively tame by comparison now



Aug 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM
TeamSpeed
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need help picking a FF UWA


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
That's something I hadn't thought of (putting a 1.4 on ) . I know its a good lens at 16mm on ff


I use it only because I still have a crop, so I am able to make the Tokina 11-16 serve double duty this way, as it seems very versatile to me when using the 1.4x. People have used the Sigma 10-20 crop lens the same way on a FF, by using a Kenko 1.4x. This gives the FF the option of a 14-28mm lens. I wasn't quite as happy with that combo though personally.



Aug 21, 2014 at 02:29 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password